Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Eternal Wildfire

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eternal Wildfire
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
He never really dies, does he? Just dissipates, awaiting a new containment suit? I wonder why we never see/hear him comment on that - even silent musings...wouldn't he have some affinity with M'onel because of this? Are the other legionnaires aware of this - or is it just the white elephant in the corner of the room that everyone ignores?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I think it's just something that has to get chalked up to "character development" that's shoved into the background as with most characters. I don't know if Wildfire would have any affinity towards M'onel since he's still young and maybe not thinking about the future as much as the present. Maybe if he had been disembodied for a really long period of time at the beginning of "Legion Lost", but they didn't exactly say how long he was in that state.

There was that annual that was part of the "dead earth" theme where Wildfire was around way in the future and eventually joining JLA1,000,000 (is that what it was called?)

I hope it's someting DnA touch upon, but I don't even remember Levitz bringing it up much - he focused more on Wildfire being disembodied rather than immortal.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kid chaos

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kid chaos   Author's Homepage   Email kid chaos         Edit/Delete Post     
"The First Law of Thermodynamics asserts that matter or its energy equivalent can neither be created nor destroyed....."

I'm guessing that one day immortal Drake would opt to find some way to finally end his existance á la the Emerald Emperess or Darkseid.
Who wants to live forever?

[ August 06, 2003, 05:51 AM: Message edited by: braalian ]

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
He never really dies, does he? Just dissipates, awaiting a new containment suit? I wonder why we never see/hear him comment on that - even silent musings...wouldn't he have some affinity with M'onel because of this?

Well, kep in mind that, to Wildfire, the incident that created him has only just happened. Mentally, he still holds on to his humanity and has not yet come to terms with himself as an immortal energy creature.

We only know of his seeming immortality and induestructablity due to the preboot, and stories such as the Dead Earth Annuals.

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
It sorta brings to mind the question, though - if you're immortal, do you know? Can a mortal made immortal get his mind around that sort of thing? Maybe he's still dealing with becoming indestructible.

It's like thinking about the edge of the universe and what comes next. No wonder they keep him totally human in personality.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KOKO
KOKO! KOKO! KOKO!!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KOKO           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

It's like thinking about the edge of the universe and what comes next.

KOKO! [Wink]

--------------------
KOKO! KOKO!

From: Interplanetary Zoo | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

quote:
It sorta brings to mind the question, though - if you're immortal, do you know? Can a mortal made immortal get his mind around that sort of thing? Maybe he's still dealing with becoming indestructible.

I imagine he hasn't really processed it yet and he probably won't really understand what it means until he starts to see his friends get old and die.

And I think Drake wouldn't think of himself as invulnerable since he's so dependent on his suit to give him a body and somewhat human senses. (although it might make him less hesitant to throw himself into danger) Maybe when he eventually develops a way to become independent from it he'll feel more invulnerable.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
Think of all the sick leave he's gonna rack up.
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

Hey, for all we know there does exist diseases that effect energy beings like Wildfire. He's jusy immune to the ones that effect biological entities like humanoids.
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Something that consumes energy - maybe he'll be taken down by an air conditioner! What a horrible fate!

Seriously, I could see him having trouble with something parasitic that feeds off his energy - he would waste away gradually, not realize it at first - gruesome - Brainy would be racing against time for a solution....Kid Q (energy manipulator) might be able to stabilize him, depending what it was.

Or could Wildfire himself "consume" something to add to or renew his energy?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Good question. We know he expends energy every time he uses his powers. Does he recycle that energy or does he draw on some other source?

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.