Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Who Shot Laurel Kent? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who Shot Laurel Kent?
Superboy2000
What a great year to be a fan of the Ever Lovin Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy2000   Author's Homepage   Email Superboy2000         Edit/Delete Post     
I know that I may be shot and strung up for this, but Who Shot Laurel Kent? I have read that book for years, and maybe I miss the clues, but I still have not figured this out. Please help me, and keep the jeers to a minimum. LLL.

--------------------
The Legion is Back!!! All Three of Them....How Sprocking Magnificent!!!

From: Amarillo, Texas | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
No jeers here - I had to look it up...all I had was a vague memory of it being a hoax. From the Legion Help File:

"As part of her disguise, (Laurel Kent) feigned a vulnerability to Kryptonite, allowing herself to be "injured" by a bullet made of the substance when Professor Ivo targeted descendants of members of the Justice League of America in 2985 (Legion of Super-Heroes (2nd series) # 8, 9, 12, Annual # 1).

In 2987, she finally made her move. To get access to Legion Headquarters, she began flirting with and dating Sun Boy (Legion of Super-Heroes (2nd series) # 41), who eventually brought her inside. She remained after Sun Boy fell asleep, though, and raided Brainiac 5's lab for any information she might be able to get on the immortals spawned by the thousand-year-old event. The Legion tried to stop her, but, since they did not understand the full extent of her power, she broke free. Brainiac 5 put together a sensor to detect the kind of radiation that the Guardians of the Universe used to give off, using it to track Laurel, and Laurel stole it to look for the immortals. The Legion, in order to trap her, located some ruins and artificially permeated them with the Guardian-energy, where they hoped to trap her. They did more than that. When Laurel saw how old and neglected the place was, she decided that the immortals already departed the planet, and that she had failed in her mission. With no further purpose in existence, the being known to the Legion as Laurel Kent self-destructed (Legion of Super-Heroes (2nd series) # 42-43)."

(Now if we can only get Lori & Koko to self-destruct...)

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy2000
What a great year to be a fan of the Ever Lovin Legion

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Superboy2000   Author's Homepage   Email Superboy2000         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks.. I had no clue it was Prof Ivo. I couldn't figure it out. I feel much better now.

--------------------
The Legion is Back!!! All Three of Them....How Sprocking Magnificent!!!

From: Amarillo, Texas | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icefire
Just like old Times!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icefire   Email icefire         Edit/Delete Post     
Laurel Kent is my favorite Legion Character!!!!

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Oh yeah. I remember you being VERY persistant about my including her when I was doing a FAVORITE LEGION REJECT poll back on the old DCMBs, icey!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Laurel was a great supporting character, part of what made the Levitz era so rich in detail. Unfortunately, she also has come to be what goes wrong with the Legion....one word, baby. CROSSOVERS. Every time DC gets the Legion involved, we get CTDs...continuity transmitted diseases. The CTD Laurel gave us was irritating, but limited....sort of like syphilis. We took our medicine, then moved on. Now Zero Hour simplex 10, THAT one lingers....

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icefire
Just like old Times!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icefire   Email icefire         Edit/Delete Post     
EDE you are correct that was m I will forever say Laurel should have been admitted to the Legion

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by icefire:
EDE you are correct that was m I will forever say Laurel should have been admitted to the Legion

What? She was just invulnerable. That was it. All she would be able to do was fly around and let the bad guys shoot at her. And as if we needed any more Superboy ties to the Legion.
From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Super Lad Kid:
quote:
Originally posted by icefire:

What? She was just invulnerable. That was it. All she would be able to do was fly around and let the bad guys shoot at her. And as if we needed any more Superboy ties to the Legion.
Bloc, Ferro? If I need someone in front of me to block blasts from Regulus, I'd just as soon be looking at Laurel Kent's backside. [Laugh Out Loud]
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Hi folks. As far as i know, this is my first post over here, though i registered a long time ago.

Anyway, I liked the idea of their being a descendant of Supes that enjoyed yankin' the chain of her great-to-the-x-power grandad and not telling him who she was. Plus, grell drew her hot if i recall, natch. but, that was when i was a kid. Married now, got my own hottie.

Anyway, i have to agree on the crossover-itis. It ruined a lot of good things.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Welcome back...again, rickshaw1.

I was a Laurel Kent lover too. I don't suppose there's any reason to resurrect a Krytonian now that Superboy seems to be returning.

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe it's a generational thing. I first saw her in that annual and never saw anything to like in her. I actually thought that turning her into a Manhunter robot was a clever way to get rid of a redundant character.
From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I thought, as a supporting character in the Academy, Laurel was okay. Never quite Legion material. But that outfit! I can see why Dirk let her into the clubhouse. [Wink]

[edit note]
Edited because I think the batteries on my wireless keyboard are dying. I missed a few letters in the post.

[ August 23, 2003, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Lightning Lad ]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoneWolfLondo
Reserve

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LoneWolfLondo   Email LoneWolfLondo         Edit/Delete Post     
Laurel was great because she was a 30th century link to JLA, in a way that Superboy couldn't be. She and the Tornado Twins (pre boot anyway) and the tour guide guy Oli 3 or something?
She was a good supporting character and didn't deserve to be CTD-ed. [Mad]

--------------------
Scrofulus!

From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree with the pro-Laurel Kent camp. I thought she was a decent character link to the 21st century for the Legion. Even after the Byrne rewrite of Superboy out of Legion existance, I don't know why Laurel couldn't of been SuperMAN's decendant instead (she still looked like Superboy's future wife, didn't she?). Personally, she strikes me as a much more interesting Legion character than Andromeda. Or Monstress. Or Thunder.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.