Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Where is Olivier Going?

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where is Olivier Going?
joe mondo
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joe mondo   Author's Homepage   Email joe mondo         Edit/Delete Post     
I just learned that Olivier Coipel will be off of Marvel's Avengers.

Does anyone know what he's working on next?

As much as I love his art I couldn't bring myself to read Johns' Avengers.

From: seattle | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icefire
Just like old Times!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icefire   Email icefire         Edit/Delete Post     
I hope he's returning to the DC fold!!!!

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
From the Marvel panel at Wizard World Chicago:

quote:
On the art side, Olivier Coipel remains, with Scott Kolins drawing Austen's second arc. Look for Steve Sadowski to do the art of Avengers #71 and Avengers #76.
Olivier isn't leaving, just being regulated to second string.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star Boy
Cat Clan Commander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star Boy   Email Star Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
What's that all about? It's better to be in the shadows in Avengers than up front on Legion?

What a shame - I really loved Olivier's art; even when people were paying him out in Legion of the Damned. To me, the art didn't look 'messy' or 'deformed', but similar to 2000AD or B&W British comic stuff. [Embarrassed] )

--------------------
Wayne@OZ

From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not surprised Coipel hasn't lit the comic book world on fire from his work in "Avengers". The current storyline hasn't given him much to do -- they spent most of their time in biohazard suits, there wasn't much superheroic action to really showcase his talents (fighting AIM soldiers barely counts, c'mon...), and the main badguy was a big red cloud. He was so much more impressive in "Legion" because there was so much more for him to do.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Didn't he have a hard time keeping deadlines? Maybe that's why he's "second string".
From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Looks That Kill Lad
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Looks That Kill Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:
I'm not surprised Coipel hasn't lit the comic book world on fire from his work in "Avengers". The current storyline hasn't given him much to do -- they spent most of their time in biohazard suits, there wasn't much superheroic action to really showcase his talents (fighting AIM soldiers barely counts, c'mon...), and the main badguy was a big red cloud. He was so much more impressive in "Legion" because there was so much more for him to do.

I agree, Marvel has been wasting Olivier's talent. They bring him in, get him to redesign their costumes then spend months with them in those damn suits surrounded by red gas.
From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
They apparently paid for Coipel as a "hot name," which is a quite superficial way to build up a creative team with marketing cachet. I've never been a Coipel partisan (to say the least), but I don't see what Marvel's doing as being fair to him.
From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
This entire mess can be laid squarely at Geoff Johns' doorstep.

HE was the one who lured Olivier away KNOWING the guy can't make a monthly schedule KNOWING Sadowski -AND- Leonard Kirk have both recently been let go of his big book JSA for the same thing. How much input did he have in their termination? I dunno. But I'm willing to bet he had at least SOME.

HE was the one who wrote this 'red gas and biohazard suit' mess for Olivier's first storyline. (Actually the story isn't bad but it was a TERRIBLE choice to spotlight Olivier's first AVENGERS work with)

At least Marvel didn't let Olivier go (read: Fire him) as DC did with Sadowski and Kirk on JSA.

Of course, our very own Andy Lanning didn't protest Olivier's departure muchly... it earned him a high-profile inking gig on AVENGERS.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
I would moan more about not seeing the new costumes if they were better than the ones they replaced.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
I would love seeing Coipel back on Legion (sorry, Grey.)

Honestly, for me, there is no Avengers artist other than George Perez. Call me old-fashioned, I guess.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
"there is no Avengers artist other than George Perez. Call me old-fashioned, I guess."

Well, let's see... Jack Kirby's gone. Don Heck's gone. John Buscema's gone. Bob brown's gone. (GEEZ!) Gene Colan never really fit. Barry Smith and Rich Buckler always just seemed like "fill-in" guys. I once hoped Dave Cockrum would do more on the book, but then some fool got the idea of reviving X-MEN... And Sal Buscema-- I dunno, I kinda preferred George Tuska over him.

George "I can do better than THAT!" Perez wasn't so hot when he started-- but he sure did improve over time. Of all the books he's done in his entire career, I've always felt THE AVENGERS was his best fit. (Yeah-- even over TITANS!) Anybody remember George was actually FIRED from Marvel for blowing deadlines around 20 years ago? I doubt he's had that trouble since... His recent return, in my view, totally blew away EVERY issue he ever did in the old days. WOW.

It was a shame when he finally left. In a way, I'm not sure the book has REALLY ever recovered since! And with the ever-changing art teams (thanks a bunch, Alan Davis, for staying on for so long!) my interest in the book continues to spiral downward. Some months I'm really not sure why I'm still reading it al all...

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Prime:
I would love seeing Coipel back on Legion (sorry, Grey.)

me too !!!

i must admit .... OLIVIER's work on "Avengers" has not excited me as much as his "Legion" work !!!

before he left, i couldn't wait for the next issue of "The Legion" to come out !!! his style really suited their FUTURE world [ IMO ]

but in "Avengers" it's just not grabbed me in the same way, but as MLLASH said this is all down to the story !! and the fact that the team, have been in those BODY suits !!! for all of it ....

i wonder if OLIVIER would still be working on the book if GEOFF hadn't put a word in for him at MARVEL !!??

i hope OLIVIER's next arc, has a more SUPER HERO look to it !!!???

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree that this storyline has really given Olivier a chance to shine. I don't think anyone can make haz-mat suits look good. It doesn't help that the pacing on this arc is sooooo sloooooow. I really think this story could have been told in half as many issues. It just feels like its taking forever.

Oh well.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I think Coipel would actually be a pretty good fit for Iron Man -- he's good at cool looking tech, and big on action. The world of Iron Man may be the closest to the 31st century Marvel has to offer (well, the FF are actually closer, but they're kindof a classic team which is better suited by a more classic art style, imo -- Iron Man *needs* modern artists).
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.