Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Thresholds - Science or Magic

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thresholds - Science or Magic
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I know we've discussed thresholds before, but it occurs to me that they have some precedent in fantasy stories, such as C.S. Lewis' The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe. There is also a threshold type of thing in Giffen's Zodiac, which is what I would call a fantasy story as opposed to sci fi.

Wormholes are thresholds of sorts. I don't know if current sci fi is still using transporters (or whatever they were called in Star Trek) or if there are thresholds to jump through when you want to go somewhere.

So I was thinking it would be quite cool, to me, if the thresholds break down on a scientific basis, but got restored through magical means. Still looking to get magic into the Legion.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Arthur C. Clarke said it best:

"Any significantly advanced techology is indistiguishable from magic."

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Not to contradict Mr. Clarke, but I think the very concept of magic is that science *cannot* explain it - no matter how advanced. Otherwise it wouldn't be "magical" would it?
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duplicate Man
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duplicate Man   Email Duplicate Man         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, if I showed a flashlight to a caveman, it would be magic to him.
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Without being too argumentative, I don't think I am ready to classify anything I do not understand as magic, and those I do as science. Of course that begs defining magic...but I hear my mother calling.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
My friend L. Neil Smith, an SF writer -- nearly 20 books, the latest being "The American Zone" -- makes his own potent rejoinder to Clarke (quoting from memory):

"Any sufficiently advanced technology resembles advanced technology. Once an individual or a culture has understood what 'technology' or 'science' means, magical thinking stops entering into such matters in the first place."

I always saw the likes of the White Witch and the sorcerors' world as defending and using some arcane knowledge and mental disciplines, not a "magic" that transcends scientific knowledge.

Vast continents of matters yet to be understood exist even within our own brains, as to how they work, and I doubt even those issues will be fully explored a thousand years hence.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
If the thresholds turn out to be magic, Brainy'll flip. [Cool]

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
The Thresholds may not be magic, but Shikari's abilities have caused Brainy some unease since he doesn't really understand them.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
There is "science" involved in harnessing the energies involved in the thresholds. The actual navigation through them depends on the Kwai's abilities or powers, which, indeed Brainy does not understand - at least not to his liking, as revealed in Legion Lost.

Where the science ends and the Kwai powers begin is something I don't quite grasp myself. I wonder what would happen if somebody went through a threshold portal without a Kwai guide? Would they be lost? Lost forever? Go insane? Would it be like the Space Rift, with different people having entirely different experiences?

I could envision a character who, somehow, is able to open - and navigate - these threshold portals with his/her own powers - and my inclination would be to make it someone like a White Witch or Mordru character, rather than someone who had some dimension or space-hopping power.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.