Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » The Secret Behind Night Girl's Origin!

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Secret Behind Night Girl's Origin!
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, now this is one of my wilder theories, so pay attention!

You know how everyone wonders about the connection between Krypton and Daxam, and there's all these theories about them both being offshoots of a single race, or one being a colony of the other, or something...

Well, here's my theory: Krypton and Daxam were both seeded with genetically engineered humanoids by some advanced race for some important purpose (we'll leave the details out for the time being). Now let us suppose that there were a number of other worlds seeded with "supermen" with slight variations on their powers and weaknesses. Luma Lynai of Staryl may represent another variation on the mold (with only having powers under a blue sun and stuff), but we don't know anything about her origin.

Still paying attention? Now, it doesn't seem that farfetched that one variation of "superman" might be such that it loses its powers in any light, but has a full set of powers as longs as its in darkness. Supposing that whoever is responsible for the seeding of worlds with "supermen" was intentionally putting the variations on worlds in which they wouldn't normally have powers, they couldn't accomplish that with the "only in darkness" variation of the supermen, since there aren't any worlds bathed entirely in perpetual sunlight.

So, what would they do? Maybe somehow even further engineer this particular variation so that the "superman" potential would be locked away in their genetic code. But to increase the probability that the true potential is discovered, they might put this particular variation on a world that is bathed in perpetual darkness. Still, it might take a brilliant scientist desperately trying to give superhuman abilities to his infatuated teen-age daughter to truly unlock the species powers... and even then he might only be able to do so partially (maybe just giving her super-strength).

Okay, so if you haven't stopped paying attention at this point, here's the gist: Lydda's father was simply unlocking the secret "Kryptonian-class" genes inherent in all Kathoonians.

Evidence for this can be seen in the obvious connection of her powers to light, and the fact that in one story she was depicted with full Kryptonian-class powers.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
It's crazy enough to be true & true enough to be crazy!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
since there aren't any worlds bathed entirely in perpetual sunlight.

I read a sci-fi book once about just such a world. I forget who wrote it or the title.

Basically, the world was surrounded by seven suns which revolved around it so that at the very least you would have one sun above you. The first part of the story involves archeologists who discover that past civilizations would rise up, suddenly collapse, and then there would be a long slow road to rebuild. They figure out that the orbits are such that every 10-15 thousand years, the suns line up which plunges the world in darkness for one day, which causes everyone to go crazy. Their theory is pooh-poohed, but they make arrangements from a group to be sealed in a secure room with materials and light for the day of darkness. The suns line up, plunging the world into darkness, everyone but those in the secure room go crazy.

The second part of the story concerned the scientists coming out and having to deal with their ruined civilization and how their preparations were to little.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Some people think we Terrans were genetically engineered by an alien race, so why not Krypton, Daxam and Kathoon?

I like it. You could have something happen which activates the super-genes for some of them, and Super-Kathoonians start popping up all over the place.

What if the engineer race appeared and explained to people what they had done? Would people be grateful for the extra powers or resentful that their ancestors' genetic code had been tampered with? I guess it would depend partly for what the purpose the genetic changes were made.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Possibly your best theory yet, EDE!

I can definately see the possibilities! While Kryptonians needs sunlight, Kathoonians need darkness--thus, by pairing them off, there is always one Superman level powerhouse among them.

Now I'm interested in why these races were genetically engineered! What purpose could they serve?

Did Darkseid know when he tapped into the full power of an army of Daxamites?

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I've always kind of thought the Llorn would be good candidates for being behind the genetic engineering, since that seems to be their schtick among ancient civilizations in Legion lore.

The Dark Circle would be an intriguing possibility.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Hmm... I just got a new idea regarding this theory.

What if the Llorn feared the power of the Oans, and somehow their supermen colonies were meant to serve as a potential weapon against the Oans if it were ever needed?

Thus both Superman and Green Lantern are the legacies of ancient galactic politics.

Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
Quislet is probably thinking of Isaac Asimov's short story "Nightfall," or the novel-length version of it that was cowritten by Robert Silverberg.

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
[sigh] I just wish I'd had a scientist father who had experimented on me and given me powers.... instead he was a truck driver.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.