Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » So the Legion seems to finally be back!

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So the Legion seems to finally be back!
BLoK - HeAd Boy
Substitute Legion Academy wannabie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLoK - HeAd Boy   Email BLoK - HeAd Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Firstly I didnt want to do the most hated..

"Hi there I'm a new member post"

So I figured I'd do that & yet tie it in with my thoughts on the current run of our Beloved Legion.

I'm 40 yrs old been collecting comics since I was 4yrs.

The Legion & JLA were my favorites at the beginning & have stuck with me thru thick & thin.

I almost gave up on the legion a couple of times after the first couple of volumes ended.
The Legion NEVER EVER got the old fun family feeling back till possibly now.

The 5 yrs later run was ok but it went too far into the Changes/darkside of story telling.
(Grrr & Blok was killed for close to ZERO reason"

Then came the Legionaires..wow..talk about backing away from the darkside & back to the rated G story telling.
I disliked it whole heartedly.

& trust me I realise many of you might be younger & to you that was & is the legion so I'll respect that.

But one thing I've learned over the last yr coming to this board is the Legion has some of the oldest fans around..as it should & I'd expect.

Many of us look back at the old classic legion.
From adventure comics to Superboy & the legion to after superboy & The Legion of super heroes.

My favorite era was around the time superboy was leaving up to the end pre 5 yr gap.

Stories so basic & Fun yet interesting.
The reason we all loved the legion was The Wide cast & all the family fun or bickering the members did.
You truly got to know them.
& it was always fun when a couple of new members came along.

And voting in the Legion leaders that was always a fun thing to take part in.
I know that probably cant ever happen again though.

Still the main point of this long thread is to one say HEY!
& two to say a special thx to Barry Kitson for taking his time on this board & showing he actually cares about his work & appreciates the Kudos we toss at him.
Over my many yrs of collecting I've met more than a few creators etc..not all of them share this feeling Barry obviously has.

So THX BARRY!

Next I want you guys to know I've been coming to this board for over a yr now & finally registered..sigh..my lifes a tad busy but I plan to infiltrate the boards now on a regular basis.
Mostly because I Feel the Legion is back!

The one that feels right to the majority of the fans!

I think were going to have humurous special moments again that we all missed for yrs.

Now if a yr from now I get to see Timber wolf & Blok getting in to trouble breaking Gym equipment I'll fall out of my chair!!

One last thing I promise.. =P

Though I wont miss many of the more recent characters of the last run I will miss Gates like many of you are saying.

As far as other recent characters I'd love to see the return of a few like Tellus,Quislet & Blok..posibly the white witch Only cause the legion needs a magic caster in my opinion.

Also I'm hoping projectra can Be used to a more powerful degree like when she was pretending to be Sensor girl..you guys remember how powerful her powers worked during that stretch?

Guys I'm out of here I promise this will be my only Book like post.

Thx to all that maintain this site the legion has such a following that cant be explained unless your a follower like we are!

[ February 17, 2005, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: BLoK - HeAd Boy ]

--------------------
A wise man can see more from the bottom of a well than a fool can from a mountain top .

From: N.Y U.S.A | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camtin
Eats Matter (Stupid?)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for camtin   Email camtin         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree with you fully BLoK - HeAd... I grew up with the DnA legion, and I still feel disconnected from them, and more connected to the stuff I've read from the 70s. The dialogue is smart in these new pages, and the characters are more alive.

I also think the Legion is back... finally.
I hope these two stick around for a while... a long while.

Does anyone know how long Mark Waid normally sticks with a book series? I'm already worried about the WaK team dissolving... they are both very busy people. I hope they stay as long as possible! LLL : P

[ February 17, 2005, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: camtin ]

Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cirrhotic Lad
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cirrhotic Lad   Email Cirrhotic Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree wholeheartedly. This version has crisp and clean storytelling. It keeps the reader involved. That is very important since too many books now are more concerned with what level of angst or twists can we inject until the reader throws their hands up in disgust.

I too have been around a long time as a Legion fan. Been through all of the incarnations and have always found something to like. But it has been a long time since I was this excited about the Legion.

I really enjoyed the early days of DnA (I enjoy complicated subplots), but the later issues only teased and disappointed (as many subplots just vanished). Overall, I thought their work was very good, but didn't put the tingle in the air. .

Or maybe it is just the single issue stories (I thought it became illegal to do them in the age of TPB's). But that is a rant for another day...

I think Waid usually sticks around for a good run as long as he is allowed his direction without interference. His FF run has been at least 40 issues (though over soon, I believe) and Flash was even longer.

As long as they have Barry chained to his drawing board, it will all be good.

Thus ends the longest message I have posted.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Golly, I wonder why these 3 wonderful people don't post anymore?
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm sure they do, but it's on the Legion World board on Earth 267, or Dimension Beta-3, or the Phantom Zone, or...

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.