Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Starting the Legion with 18 or so members (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Starting the Legion with 18 or so members
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
The more I think about it, the more I'm really glad Waid did that. You know...I don't really care to see them all join in order again, and wait month after month to see when 'so and so' will join up. That would have annoyed the hell out of me. And I think its evident by people's annoyance with the lack of Violet (and previously Projectra) that others would have felt the same.

So...despite having some reservations about this in the beginning, I have to say kudos to Mr. Waid. I know we'll get to Vi, Brin and hopefully Mon-El in the future, and I'm really holding out for a few others too, but right now I'm glad that we have nearly 20 members.

In a way, this makes it much easier for me to not compare the threeboot to the reboot.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I actually wish that he started with more. I wouldn't mind seeing more Legionnaires onstage even if there isn't time to give them much characterization at the moment.

And how is the team going to overcome that "only as many rings as we can produce" limitation? They're going to have to fall into a lot of money or something...

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree with Drake. I think the minimum for the core Legion should have been at least 25, if not more. Maybe 32?

I'd have loved to see every Adventure era and most of the later pre-boot/pre-Crisis members at the onset. We've waited a long time to see many of them (Bouncing Boy, Matter-Eater Lad, Ferro Lad, Nemesis Kid [no really!], Chemical King, Wildfire, Tyroc, Dawnstar, Blok, Invisible Kid II [I think it'd be nice to see Jacques with a new name and teleportation or dimension-hoping powers], the White Witch, and Polar Boy) as Legionnaires again.

Heck, I'd also have included Tellus & Quislet, in which case having Pol tagging along calling himself Magnetic Kid {playing the wannabe Legionnaire sidekick, annoying his older brother) would have also been appreciated.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Can't agree with you guys more--that's something that could have done nothing but please me. Especially the ones you listed Gary (would love to see Nemesis Kid have a decent stint with the team).

Condo, Wildfire and Dawny especially too, and I am definately in the group of Legion fans that wants love and respect shown to Tenzil and Chuck.

Just knowing they're there would be excitement enough, even if it meant less screen time at first.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
I wrote a note to Barry (on the message board, not in private) about increasing the ranks so that there would be some variety in personality and the possibility of adding to the "couple clicking" dynamic.

I think IMHO that increasing the membership to 25 would strengthen the book in general, because it would help to explain the whereabouts of those not featured in that particular issue's Roll Call - just as it did when Jim Shooter was writing. When Levitz was writing, i think he got too carried away with treating the Legion as people too self-involved with their personal troubles to worry about going off on missions.
The cameos by Legionnaires not directly involved with the villain/situation at the moment, got a little wearying after a while.

I know it sounds as if i'm rambling on, but i would like to know that there are those out there who will take what everybody writes, seriously.

From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
I think you guys are wrong, and eighteen may in fact be too many. I mean, I have my missing favourites too (Blok, Mon-El, XS, Shikari, Jacques) but it's really hard to juggle all those characters. You simply don't need all those people to tell a good story, and at a certain point you simply can't do anything with them all.

Is there any superhero group in comics with as many as 18 members at a time? All-Star Squadron had more, sort of, but that was a special (if vaguely comparable) case. The Justice League tended to top out at around fifteen. The Justice Society had only eight at a time in its heyday, and the Fantastic Four have managed to get by for a few years with less than ten members.

Waid and Kitson have a good comic book going here; no reason to try to overload it.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm with the bigger number. I mean it's a Legion right? Oh wait they are called that because of the members of the movement??? Eh. (who are atleast 75% funky alien it seems but we only get Cham on the team).

20 to 25 sounds good. Heck 32 sounds good. We've seen writers able to juggle it before. It's a bit early on so I don't mind the small cast. WE HAVEN'T SEEN VI!!! So I can chill trying to see more the actual team we have now.

BUT I hope to see new members join soon. I am still really suprised with the Adv Legion only thing.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
I must admit, as a new reader, I'm glad they've started with less members. It gives me a chance to learn about them at a pace that doesn't make my head hurt. Much. [Wink]

Don't get me wrong -- I'm excited at the prospects of Mon, Vi and Dawnstar (to name a few) but I know virtually nothing about the various planets the Legionnaires hail from and how they interact/related etc. etc. So it's really nice to have the universe as a whole introduced at an understandable pace for a newb like me.

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I guess its all personal taste. Whenever I start reading a series, I'm more excited and enjoy it more when there's a ton of characters to learn about and get to know. You thirst for more! Like Kurt Busiek's Astro City for example, part of the charm is that there's all of these characters to meet and stories to be told. It's the anticipation and glimpses of possibilites you don't get from a solo book or a book about the same group of four/seven/whatever.

I guess that's what makes me a Legion fan.

And anyway, all of these characters I've mentioned already exist or have existed as members so seeing them again as such shouldn't be that big of a deal. You can spend as much time or as little telling their individual stories. It's not like this is a brand new team book with absolutely no previous history. The characters existed once, what's wrong with having them around in the background now.

[ August 29, 2005, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidChaos
Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KidChaos   Email KidChaos         Edit/Delete Post     
While I miss many of the reboot and post-Shooter legionnaires, I'm not sure it would be a good idea to include them in the current series.

Having only the Adventure-era members works well with the tone and "feel" Waid is trying to establish.

With that said, there is still no excuse for the lack of Bouncing Boy and ME Lad. Dosen't Waid see that they would fit in perfectly with this incarnation?? Silly/fun Silver Age retro-chique is all the rage these days!

--------------------
"are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over- an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist."

-Tobias Funke

From: MI | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gina DC
Metacontinuity Cop

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gina DC   Author's Homepage   Email Gina DC         Edit/Delete Post     
All that said, I'm certain the lack of P-BOLs /is/ in fact a plot point...

...as it was when the Trapper pitted Legion against Legion against Legion, with the P-BOLs trapped haplessly with him in his weird FLWrightian hangout outside time.

--------------------
---livejournal.com/~evilbeej/---
Jo wants the beer.

From: Denville, New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
That's a pretty ineteresting hypothesis, Gina. That would make for a pretty cool story, too!

I dunno, I think Waid could always write the other Legionnaires in a way that would make them fit the "feel" that he's going for. XS and Kinetix, for example, fit in very well with the early reboot cast. Monstress' personality would be perfect, I think, and even Gates could be reimagined in such a way. Polar Boy and the White Witch were also intro'd in the Adventure Era.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought Gates was part of Terra Firma...

...and I MISS XS~!!! *sob!!!* I think she should be called Flash Girl or something lame if she does show up. [Big Grin] But I kinda doubt she'll be showing up any time soon what with the crisis and her strong ties with the Flash Family (effed up) continiuty.

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
I guess its all personal taste. Whenever I start reading a series, I'm more excited and enjoy it more when there's a ton of characters to learn about and get to know. You thirst for more! Like Kurt Busiek's Astro City for example, part of the charm is that there's all of these characters to meet and stories to be told. It's the anticipation and glimpses of possibilites you don't get from a solo book or a book about the same group of four/seven/whatever.

Whole-heartedly agree. Also, it's much more usual for me to pick up a new series with a large cast than one with a very small. It just seems like there's so much more for me to get into--and Gary used the best example, Kurt Busiek's Astro City. In another example, I think Iron Man was a much better comic when he had a large supporting cast, and Spider-Man too.
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Bingo on the supporting cast. I am still waiting to see more of a sppt cast here as well. I love Levitz's handle on the SPs. [Smile]
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.