Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Pentra-vision, what all can Ultra Boy do (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pentra-vision, what all can Ultra Boy do
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phantom Girl   Email Phantom Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
So exactly what is pentra-vision? What are it's limitations? How does it match up against Superboy's various visions? What's the difference? Is this the only type of super-vision Ultra Boy possess?

--------------------
I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.

From: Bgztl | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Ultra Boy also has a Flash Vison which is comparable to Supes' Heat vison (which originally was an off-shoot of his x-ray vision)

Pentra-vision was supposed to be X-ray vision, but not blocked by lead, thus making him more powerful that Superboy.

I don't think they have shown Jo having Microscopic or telescopic vision (others can correct me if I am wrong), but that doesn't mean he doesn't have them. His power has always been described as having all the powers of Superboy, but only able to use them one at a time.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bicycle Repair Man
Deputy

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Bicycle Repair Man   Email Bicycle Repair Man         Edit/Delete Post     
(Geekier-than-thou mode ON)

PENETRA-vision.

Ultra Boy's penetra-vision has been shown to be capable of seeing through both lead and inertron, both of which are opaque to both Kryptonian and Daxamite x-ray vision. (ref. the story in which Ultra Boy was framed for a murder on Rimbor)

From: Monty Python's Flying Circus | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
He's also been shown seeing things at great range with penetra-vision (viewing the contents of buildings from high in the sky), making it a combination of X-Ray and Telescopic Vision, when he wants it to be. It's possible that if he has Microscopic Vision (which I've never seen him use, but he would have, if he 'has all the powers of Superboy'), that he would do that with the same 'penetra-vision' as well.

As far as I know, his powers are;

Flight,
Super-Strength,
Invulnerability,
Super-Speed,
Flash Vision (heat vision),
Penetra-Vision (X-ray and telescopic vision).

He should also have Super-Cold Breath like Superboy and Microscopic Vision, but I don't believe that he's ever been shown using either.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
did I misremember that the only metal that prevents him from using his penetra-vision is Copper?
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
According to Supermanica, he can see through lead, but not Inertron.

Every source has a different theory for how his powers work, it seems.

Wikipedia

DC Wikia 1

DC Wikia 2

To get the last two links to work, put a parenthesis around (New_Earth) and (Pre-Zero_Hour) in the URLs. The board doesn't like that...

One source even lists his ultra-speed and flight as being connected, and there is reference to both microscopic vision and ultra-breath (including the ability to inhale explosions, like Superman occasionally does) as well.

Several sites also have pictures of the cover of his first appearance, where we discover that both Clark and Jo use their Peeping Tom vision to scope out what's going on other dudes clothing as they pass them on the street. Wow!

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by superboymddjr:
did I misremember that the only metal that prevents him from using his penetra-vision is Copper?

That's Marsboy.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malvolio
Devil's Advocate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malvolio   Email Malvolio         Edit/Delete Post     
Ultra Boy's ultra-speed is not connected to his flight power. He can do both at the same time, however, only when he wears his Legion flight ring. The ring does the flying and Jo provides the ultra-speed.

--------------------
Watching television is not an activity.

From: Freeville, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phantom Girl   Email Phantom Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the claification and spelling correction of penetra-vision. I'm working on powers for the game and was making a list of the various super-visions that need to be included. I'm really glad you corrected me, else I would have botched this one badly. Sounds like it's pretty much a combination of visions which in game purposes makes it worth more than a single type of vision. Thanks much!

--------------------
I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.

From: Bgztl | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
hey who's mars boy? he's not wikipediable.

i thought jo's penetra vision was a bit abstract from the baxter/levitz series. like a visual search engine. he found some things with it that would be really hard to find with direct line of sight.

also, something i thought was really cool with morrisson's smasher (marvel imperial guard ultra boy knock off) was that he could "download" any power. (or maybe just a large range of powers)and before i think he was more like wonder man and wasn't shown using seperate powers at a time.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
ADVENTURE COMICS #195, Dec 1953.

He was a friend of Superboy's before the Legion. Adventure Comics #195 is his third appearance. I had a profile on him on a free site I used to have. I'll try to move that over here now (they wanted to charge and so I took it offline).

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
Didn't Starboy in his first appearance back when he was a Psuedo Superboy also have a problem using his version of x-ray vision to see through copper?

He also had electrical vision which was pretty neat as I recall ...

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

That's true!
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
thanks NC!
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Triplicate Kid
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Triplicate Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Battler:
Didn't Starboy in his first appearance back when he was a Psuedo Superboy also have a problem using his version of x-ray vision to see through copper?

That story was a recycling of the Mars Boy story - wow, it was really close.

--------------------
Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
- Tom Strong #6, Alan Moore

From: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.