Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Powers, an in-depth discussion (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Powers, an in-depth discussion
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phantom Girl   Email Phantom Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
Ok, to start with, I'm working on powers for my roleplaying game for both Legionnaires, villains, and henchmen alike. I would like to get some solid discussion on powers, detailed explanations of perhaps how they work (accurate as per comics and not completely theorized as I'm trying to stay as close to the comics as possible). If you know an issue # for an example your citing, please list it. It helps my efforts considerably and makes it a lot more fun to go back and read the situation and thus put some punch in the rule writing.

To start the discussion off, I'd like to ask what powers come to an end once they person falls unconscious? Does everything fall to the ground when Light Lass goes unconscious? Does Phantom Girl materialize? If Saturn Girl creates a mental barrier to protect others does it end when she falls? Do Shrinking Violet and Colossal Boy automatically return to their standard humanoid-size once they go unconscious? Ferro Lad lose his Invulnerability? Does Chameleon Boy revert back to his original form (what is his original form)?

[ January 19, 2009, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Phantom Girl ]

--------------------
I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.

From: Bgztl | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
Going by memory alone, Ferro Lad was unconscious and all sliced up (Legion World #5 or #6?) and he remained in iron form or he would have bled to death. Phantom Girl was stabbed in immaterial form and remained unconscious while Chameleon Boy turned phantom and removed the "ghost" knife. I think there have been times when Colossal Boy was unconscious and both remained giant and reverted back to human size. Violet has been shown on a few covers as unconscious and small.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Triplicate Kid
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Triplicate Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Since Phantom Girl isn't from our dimension in the first place, why would she shift entirely into ours by default? I don't have a reference on hand, but I seem to recall her remaining in whatever dimensional state she's in.

Likewise, I recall Colossal Boy getting knocked out and crashing to the ground at full size.

quote:
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
Violet has been shown on a few covers as unconscious and small.

On one such cover, she's actually Yera, showing that Durlans don't have to exert effort to maintain a form.

--------------------
Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
- Tom Strong #6, Alan Moore

From: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Saturn Girl is tough. I would think that if she were mind linking a group of Legionnaires, the link would disappear if she got taken out. In Legion Lost her illusion of Apparition disappeared when she let her guard down, but then when she was fully incapacitated her mind went into over drive and she created a stronger illusion of Legion rescuers. Like total concentration while she was unconscious. The mental suggestions that she gave Superboy to forget future events in his life when he returned to the past stayed in place 24/7. It seems like the only thing that could make them go away was active intervention on her part to remove them.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Element Lad - In previous boots his changes to elemental structure were permanent. 3boot they were time limited (to an hour, I believe). The time limit would stay in place regardless of his consciousness.

Chemical King - Again depends on how the power is being used. If he used his catalyst powers to change a liquid to a vapor and then passed out the vapor would remain. If he were using his powers to slow radiation and got knocked out the radiation would continue to spread.

Dawnstar was sometimes shown being knocked out to prevent her from tracking someone. Most notably by Ultra Boy in S/LSH #239. I seem to recall Saturn Girl going into her unconscious mind to try to retrieve coordinates for something she already tracked. I can't think of the reference though.

I'm pretty sure that Shadow Lass's shadows and Projectra's illusions would disappear if they were knocked out.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phantom Girl   Email Phantom Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
This is going to be tricky writing powers they way they are appearing in the comics. I'm sure as I delve into it I will find a lot of contradictions from one writer to the next, perhaps even within the same author. In such cases, I'll go with what's better for the game or happened more frequently, but all in all, its a Legion game and therefore should mirror the comics. If you happen to know comic issue refereces off the top of your head please post it as it makes my work easier and more fun because I tend to read the surrounding events, thus putting some punch behind the rule writing.

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
Saturn Girl is tough. I would think that if she were mind linking a group of Legionnaires, the link would disappear if she got taken out. In Legion Lost her illusion of Apparition disappeared when she let her guard down, but then when she was fully incapacitated her mind went into over drive and she created a stronger illusion of Legion rescuers. Like total concentration while she was unconscious. The mental suggestions that she gave Superboy to forget future events in his life when he returned to the past stayed in place 24/7. It seems like the only thing that could make them go away was active intervention on her part to remove them.

Element Lad - In previous boots his changes to elemental structure were permanent. 3boot they were time limited (to an hour, I believe). The time limit would stay in place regardless of his consciousness.

Chemical King - Again depends on how the power is being used. If he used his catalyst powers to change a liquid to a vapor and then passed out the vapor would remain. If he were using his powers to slow radiation and got knocked out the radiation would continue to spread.

Dawnstar was sometimes shown being knocked out to prevent her from tracking someone. Most notably by Ultra Boy in S/LSH #239. I seem to recall Saturn Girl going into her unconscious mind to try to retrieve coordinates for something she already tracked. I can't think of the reference though.

I'm pretty sure that Shadow Lass's shadows and Projectra's illusions would disappear if they were knocked out.

Some of the character's who are not clear-cut such as Saturn Girl could take a die roll penalty or use what I call a power surge to create different effects with their powers. The situation you explain above Jerry, about how her illusion of rescuing Legionnaires arrived could become possible by applying one of these rules. It would not be the norm, but if the character established it so that their subconcious mind would continue to work even after they collapsed. The player takes the appropriate penalty to try and do this or as I said, applies the power surge just in case.

Element Lad sounds easy enough, as a general rule, I'm going with pre-boot so his effects would remain in place.

I've always had a hard time understanding Chemical Kings power. He really didn't seem to appear that much before he died. I think I have everything he was in except the issue of his death.

Saturn Girl retrieving thoughts from an unconscious person seems to me a pretty simple thing for a telepath to do, no problems there.

I agree on Shadow Lass and Princess Projectra as well. Unless we find evidence to the contrary, their effects would disappear once they go unconscious. I think they would remain in place once cast, I doubt Shadow Lass would have to concentrate to keep it there, I think she could go on to fight or create another field of darkness without losing the previous one.

Can Princess Projectra get more than one illusion going at the same time? Do her illusions encompass all five senses or only sight? I'm thinking as advanced as they were to be, all five but I'd really like to get some evidence.

[ January 19, 2009, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Phantom Girl ]

--------------------

From: Bgztl | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

quote:
Going by memory alone, Ferro Lad was unconscious and all sliced up (Legion World #5 or #6?) and he remained in iron form or he would have bled to death. Phantom Girl was stabbed in immaterial form and remained unconscious while Chameleon Boy turned phantom and removed the "ghost" knife. I think there have been times when Colossal Boy was unconscious and both remained giant and reverted back to human size. Violet has been shown on a few covers as unconscious and small.

Ok, I would have thought that his iron form would have ended (from a logical point of view). Writing it differently doesn't create a problem for me as I want to get the gae as right as possible. If I was going off the top of my head I would have written that it ended. Its good to be corrected. I've assumed that his ability to turn his body to iron was essentially a form of invulnerability which was a couple of notches down from Superboy's. What do you think, how tough is it compared to Supes? Am I correct in allowing it to fall under invulnerability, just essentially adding the body to iron part?

I fondly recall the issue your speaking of with Phantom Girl and you are correct, she remained dematerialized. They were fighting Soljer from the issue #210. More importantly, this brings up a bigger question about Cham though. In the story he is pictured turning into a Phantom and pulling the knife out of her stomach. In some stories her could only assume the shape in others he's assumed shape, mobility, and other basic physical abilities. Yet in other stories, he like the one above, he seems to be able to duplicate powers of the creature he took the form of. Is there a clear cut ruling on his power I'm missing or is this one of those "works like we need it to in order to tell a good story things"?

I could simulate the discrepancy for Colossal Boy and Shrinking Violet retaining/losing their modified size once they go unconscious by allowing the character a preferance and having them make some sort of Psyche check using their subconscious mind. If the player wanted to remain small or large they could if they made the difficult role, if they failed, they revert back to normal. This allows both features in order to ring true to the stories as well as make the power more flexible for the game.

--------------------

Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

quote:
Originally posted by Triplicate Kid:
Since Phantom Girl isn't from our dimension in the first place, why would she shift entirely into ours by default? I don't have a reference on hand, but I seem to recall her remaining in whatever dimensional state she's in.

Likewise, I recall Colossal Boy getting knocked out and crashing to the ground at full size.

quote:
Violet has been shown on a few covers as unconscious and small.

On one such cover, she's actually Yera, showing that Durlans don't have to exert effort to maintain a form.
Would Phantom Girl logically stay in the last assumed state or return to her natural state? On Bgztl I assume they are in a solid form normally? Can we narrow this down? Your idea of the last assumed state I like though as a way to treat the power. Can we find more examples of her falling unconscious or something similar?

Durlans not having to exert any effort after falling unconscious is nice to know. I would have missed that. Do we have evidence to the contrary as well? It seems to me that a writer would go either way with this one, essentially what the liked or what was more convenient.

If I recall correctly, in the current Legion of 3 Worlds they show Brande returning back to Durlan form right? This one's kinda in Limbo as an example though because we really aren't even sure if it was Brande in the first place, much less a Durlan. Kinda need to get to the end of the story first.

Exactly what does a Durlan look like in their natural form anyway? Do they look like Cham and Yera or is this an assumed shape of theirs to make them more pleasing to others?

--------------------

cleome46 cleome46 has just turned 51
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
PG:

...In the story he is pictured turning into a Phantom and pulling the knife out of her stomach. In some stories her could only assume the shape in others he's assumed shape, mobility, and other basic physical abilities. Yet in other stories, he like the one above, he seems to be able to duplicate powers of the creature he took the form of. Is there a clear cut ruling on his power I'm missing or is this one of those "works like we need it to in order to tell a good story things"?...

Yeah. My most recent reading of the first Threeboot stuff, there's some dialogue with Cham and Colossal Boy (I think ?) where he says point-blank that he can't assume the attributes of whatever shape he's changed into. Which directly contradicts some earlier stories. And those earlier stories contradict some stories before that.

In the cartoon, there's a line where he tells Wolf: "I don't just change form, I change my body chemistry--" which is one of those indicators that obviously writers will go with whatever level of power they need to enhance the plot at any given moment.

[shrug] What're you gonna' do ?

Personally I'd just define it by whichever version you think would make for the most satisfying game. Why not ?

quote:
...Exactly what does a Durlan look like in their natural form anyway? Do they look like Cham and Yera or is this an assumed shape of theirs to make them more pleasing to others?...
Ummm... Yes. Again, it seems to depend on which incarnation and who's doing the script.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Yeah, Chemical King's powers were never clearly defined. I mention the "slowing radiation" thing because it is how he was using his powers when he died. He was also shown doing this in A DC Special issue that came out around the time of his death. In the special he actually did pass out while performing this trick. Phantom Girl was inside a power sphere. Brainy theorized that the radiation was so strong that it would have killed her even in her immaterial form if Condo didn't slow it. As soon as he passed out, Brainy made Phantom Girl get out of the sphere.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

quote:
Originally posted by cleome:
quote:
PG:

...In the story he is pictured turning into a Phantom and pulling the knife out of her stomach. In some stories he could only assume the shape, in others he's assumed shape, mobility, and other basic physical abilities. Yet in other stories, he's like the one above, he seems to be able to duplicate powers of the creature he took the form of. Is there a clear cut ruling on his power I'm missing or is this one of those "works like we need it to in order to tell a good story things"?...

Yeah. My most recent reading of the first Threeboot stuff, there's some dialogue with Cham and Colossal Boy (I think ?) where he says point-blank that he can't assume the attributes of whatever shape he's changed into. Which directly contradicts some earlier stories. And those earlier stories contradict some stories before that.

In the cartoon, there's a line where he tells Wolf: "I don't just change form, I change my body chemistry--" which is one of those indicators that obviously writers will go with whatever level of power they need to enhance the plot at any given moment.

[shrug] What're you gonna' do ?

Personally I'd just define it by whichever version you think would make for the most satisfying game. Why not ?

quote:
...Exactly what does a Durlan look like in their natural form anyway? Do they look like Cham and Yera or is this an assumed shape of theirs to make them more pleasing to others?...
Ummm... Yes. Again, it seems to depend on which incarnation and who's doing the script.

Throw my arms up in the air, shake my fist, and say "You damn dirty writer!" Actually, I'm apt to go with the most frequently occurring depiction of preboot or that which had the most impact. I might be able to give him a power surge which allows a hit and miss effort with duplicating certain abilities. I think I need more references and and issue #'s to really decide.

Arrggg....now I start pounding my fists into the dirt.

--------------------

Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
Yeah, Chemical King's powers were never clearly defined. I mention the "slowing radiation" thing because it is how he was using his powers when he died. He was also shown doing this in A DC Special issue that came out around the time of his death. In the special he actually did pass out while performing this trick. Phantom Girl was inside a power sphere. Brainy theorized that the radiation was so strong that it would have killed her even in her immaterial form if Condo didn't slow it. As soon as he passed out, Brainy made Phantom Girl get out of the sphere.

Since my Chemical King skills are lacking, can you or other people give me a list of different things he could do with his power? They don't have to be things we saw in the comics but ways that it would work overall. Throw in a bit of science to help me understand.

--------------------

cleome46 cleome46 has just turned 51
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
PG:

Arrggg....now I start pounding my fists into the dirt.

I was going to do that when I first started writing fic again, then I decided that I'd rather get carpal tunnel from... uh, actually writing. [Razz]

I mean, if you go back far enough (thinking of the guides to powers that Jim Gallagher has on his page), Durlans were once defined as so powerful that they could spot other shape-shifters in disguise wherever they went. At some point somebody must've decided that would make the character TOO powerful-- because I don't recall seeing it at all during my time as a Legion reader. Not that I have a steel-trap memory or anything.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom Girl:
Since my Chemical King skills are lacking, can you or other people give me a list of different things he could do with his power? They don't have to be things we saw in the comics but ways that it would work overall. Throw in a bit of science to help me understand.

He can start, stop, accelerate, slow or completely change chemical reactions.

A chemical reaction traditionally involves changes that involve the motion of electrons in the forming or breaking of chemical bonds, but can also be applied to the transformations of one element to another (up and down the scale, not nearly so easily as Element Lad could do it) or to nuclear reactions.

He could cause any substance to corrode, as if targeted by a powerful acid, or even make the substance acidic itself, and destructive to it's surroundings.

He could make any substance oxidize / burst into flame much more rapidly than it naturally would, or prevent it from doing so (making himself or someone else fireproof, for instance). The presence of oxygen (or another volatile gas, such as methane) would be all he would need to cause someone to burst into flame, or an item to rapidly rust away into nothingness.

He could affect the human or alien body in practically countless ways, causing a person to age, starve, suffocate, or suffer the effects of countless toxic byproducts that the body can secrete in tiny harmless quantities (only he'd be accelerating the process a thousandfold, causing the person's body to create incapacitating or lethal quantities of that chemical).

Any compound, even one as simple as water (H20), he could cause to break down into it's components. Alternately, he could combine elements into a compound, so that if there is hydrogen and oxygen gas in the surrounding atmosphere, he could cause it to combine into water. (Technically, Element Lad shouldn't be able to pull a stunt like this. His power has been shown to affect complex compounds before, but is supposed to affect elements, not compounds.)

Chemical King has been shown to boost his strength 'hundreds of times' but has stated that he could only maintain this 'for seconds' before burning out his body's energy reserves. This is more superhero stuff than science stuff, 'though.

By affecting brain chemistry, Chemical King should be able to put people to sleep, induce hallucinations (although he would have no control over what those images where, unlike Saturn Girl or Princess Projectra), induce heightened emotional states (fear, arousal, anger), or supress same (calming or pacifying people). He would be able to block or incite sensations of pain or pleasure as well, which might make him handy in a combat situation (suppressing fear and pain, manipulating the metabolisms of the wounded so that they don't bleed to death or go into shock, etc.) and in the bedroom. Chemical changes can assist in making someone suggestible, put them into a dream-like state, block the formation of short term memories or enhance and sharpen focus and clarity.

Physically, he could purge someone of fatigue toxins and give them a 'second wind,' or 'take the wind out of them' by flooding their muscles with fatigue toxins and dropping them weak-kneed to the floor (or blocking their body's ability to process energy stored chemically in fat tissue or the blood's ability to bond with oxygen for immediate energy, or the nerves ability to chemically transfer signals from brain to limb, etc., etc.) The list of ways in which Chemical King could drop a person to the floor, paralyzed, fatigued, suffocating, starved, nauseated, wracked with crippling pain, etc. is as long as the list of things that can happen to someone...

Less adversarially, he could also help people survive longer without food and water, or even survive longer without oxygen. He could slow bleeding and prevent shock. He could accelerate the flood of endorphins to allow a wounded person to ignore pain and continue functioning. He could prevent tissue necrosis from occuring by increasing the efficiency of damaged oxygen transporting vessels in the area, or just causing the cut off cells to use less oxygen and thus 'die slower,' until the damage is repaired.

He couldn't *heal someone,* but his powers could make it so that someone who would be fatally injured and unable to be saved would fall into a state of suspended animation and be able to be repaired hours, perhaps even *day* later, at a more convenient time. Obviously, if their head is blown off, there isn't much any amount of chemical control could do, but a missing heart or damaged lungs wouldn't stop him from saving the persons brain from oxygen death, and give 31st century medicine ample time to patch up the body. He'd have to 'maintain' the effect, however, which means that he might have to use his own powers to stay awake and watch over the person, to keep those chemical reactions from accelerating back to their normal speed, and the person from dying.

Many chemical reactions produce energy, in the form of heat, and by causing such a reaction, perhaps by transforming a section of floorplate into an element one position lower on the elemental table by stripping off electrons, he could cause a sudden wash of heat, perhaps even extreme heat. He'd probably be more efficient at generating heat by increasing the effects of oxidation on the surrounding area, causing everything to 'rust so fast' that it ignites into flame. There are also endothermic (heat-absorbing) chemical reactions (mixing citric acid and sodium bicarbonate, for example), which would allow Chemical King to create areas of cold, although, as with most of his powers that could duplicate the power of another Legionnaire, nothing nearly so elaborate as what Polar Boy could do.

Some exothermic reactions also release energy in the form of light (like those glow-sticks they use at raves) or sound, or even explosively, and Chemical King would be able to cause an energy-producing chemical reaction in almost anything, even turning a wall into an explosive agent. Note that he wouldn't actually be *transforming* the wall into explosive material, he'd simply be altering the exact rate at which an explosion would occur. The iron doesn't turn into dynamite, it remains iron, but temporarily is as explosive as dynamite.

Most of these effects would consume or alter the composition of the materials affected, others would not, and it's kind of a grab-bag as to which is which. Energy producing effects, such as creating heat, are more likely to 'burn up' the materials used. Explosive effects obviously also tend to destroy the materials 'made explosive.' [Smile]

In theory, a heat-absorbing reaction could cause material to grow or be attracted to an area, and *perhaps* Chemical King could create an 'ice slick' in this manner, by creating a heat-absorbing reaction in the floor that attracts water vapor to it, which is then frozen into an icy coating over the super-cold floor. That's a bit of a stretch, but in comic book logic, it works fine.

Processes like photosynthesis or the energy storage capacity of a car battery are chemically based, and by waving his hands around and using comic-book physics, he could allow himself or others to draw energy from sunlight, or convert internally stored chemical energy into electrical currents to shock people. (Since internal chemical energy is mostly stored in fat cells, Bouncing Boy would be the most effective at playing Electric Eel Lad...)

The possibilities for his powers are pretty much limitless, and he makes a pretty good fill-in for many other Legionnaires in a pinch.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
Although he shouldn't have been able to do that slowing-atomic-radiation trick. Because that's not a chemical reaction; it's a nuclear reaction. (Similarly, he shouldn't be able to unmix lemonade!)

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.