Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Dream Crime 5 - LOTS OF SPOILERS (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Dream Crime 5 - LOTS OF SPOILERS
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Also did anyone else notice there was no mention of the cousin connection to Imra? He is a Vidar. At least we don't have to deal with that now.

And I wanted to ask, did anyone else think the shot of Imra on page 20, panel 3, looked like Batista used Helen Hunt as the model?

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I was wondering if all those alien faces were "somebody" - never saw Farscape.

Universo is Vidar (again) - I hope we get to see Rond in the future; he was part of the earlier post-boot stories. As long as he doesn't show up with you-know-who.

Tromium Crystal makes some good points about what is enjoyable in the issue.

As for Cub - I thought he might play a part, but it was more joking - and certainly never expected it to be through mental upset. One thing that gets me is the "so innocent" label that Imra uses to describe his thoughts/presence - babies and little kids are always so innocent in comics. I'm not saying they're not in real life - but they always struck me as being selfish also, out of necessity and nature - why wouldn't Cub have been thinking "Me! Me! I want more!"? However, we certainly will see more of Cub in the future, for better or worse.

I liked the cat fight too - especially when Sensor says she doesn't think of reliable and Nura in the same sentence - although Nura's dreams have become much more accurate with her Khundish training, she still carries the dumb bunny image.

The humorous ending really jarred me - it seemed to trivialize Universo - but this Universo didn't really come across as the brilliant, devious, plan-ahead villain that he was in the past. More like a mind-drunk on a bender. Still, the ending gave us another insight into Imra - she's not above a little petty teenage revenge. Somehow, I don't think Dr. Aven would have put those same thoughts in Universo's mind.

It also raises huge questions about the 31st century justice system - but these stories always do, and it's always a sticking point with me.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Man From Cargg
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Man From Cargg   Email The Man From Cargg         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Caleb:

What I didn't like was Jekka's piss-poor attitude afterwards. Her arguing with Dreamy was annoying. We already have 1 team bitch (that being Umbra, and I like her that way) we don't need 2.

I was very pleased with the issue on every level except for parts of Jekka's personality.

I TOTALLY agree about Jekka's new persona. Why aren't more fans upset about this? It makes ABSOLUTELY no sense. The physical change just isn't enough to explain this away. I loved the fact that 3 females took down Universo - but how much more interesting if Jekka's old, polite, demure personality managed to succeed where others failed. (Kinda like in the shy Vi days).
As to her cat-fight with Nura - it would have been more effective if she pulled royal rank and commanded her to take down the Titanet, instead of just screaming and hair-pulling.
I agree, one bitch in the legion is enough. And now with Monstress dead, there is no one to play the maternal, comforting role that she and Jekka used to play.

--------------------
The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.

From: Hamilton | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Maritimer

Icon 14 posted      Profile for the Maritimer   Author's Homepage   Email the Maritimer         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought the ending to this story arc was entirely appropriate. This was a "battle" that took place (basically) in the psi-world. Since this story opened in RJ's restaurent, it was sort of logical to end it there as well.
Overall, I'd give a "B+" for this effort. Maybe it was an issue or two too long, but maybe a re-read of the story will change that thought.
Looking forward to Steve Lightle's issue up next!

From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Also did anyone else notice there was no mention of the cousin connection to Imra? He is a Vidar. At least we don't have to deal with that now.

Reading it, it looked like Vidar was supposed to be his first name. I mean I would ear a nametag taht said "Hi my name is Duke!", not "Hi, my name is Harrington!"

So, for me it leaves it open to interpretation whether or not the cousin angle still exists. He could be Vidar Ardeen.

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:

Meanwhile, on Legion World, Cub's quantum sphere collapses, and he SOMEHOW???? invades Universo's mind with baby talk. WTF???

The way I read it, Cub did not conciously take over Universo's mind. Universo was just out exploring nd taking over minds, once he had access to Cub (after the quantum sphere went down) he encountered a mind that was much too powerful for him. In attempting to take it over that mind engulfed him.

BTW, I loved the "doog?" shot of Universo and all the Legionnaires making the same face.

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

quote:
Originally posted by M'onel:
-What the heck is up with Cub, neither of his parents had telepathic powers.

He's Darkseid. Either that or Orion.

quote:
Originally posted by M'onel:
--Nura's a Legionnaire now. 'Bout time

Agreed, Now all we need is  -
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

ACK!!

No Sub Boy graemlin? Has even Legion World turned against poor Dirk?

Portfolio Boy
Deputy

quote:
Originally posted by Caleb:
I was very pleased with the issue on every level except for parts of Jekka's personality.

I tend to agree. Jeka has done a 180 degree personality transformation to go along with her new outward appearance. While the former matronly attitude was grating, it was, at least, unique.

I am hoping she calms down soon.

...and grows legs

...and a bronze age Mike Grell costume.

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
ACK!!

Never! You just need to know what Gary named it.

-

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

quote:
Originally posted by Tromium Crystal:

I really don't have anything to add to your post. I just wanted to take a moment to say that you had some nice insights and that I pretty much agreed with everything in your post. [Smile]

Only 56 posts, c'mon man, get busy. You've got things to say!

[ August 28, 2003, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: Portfolio Boy ]

jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
I thought it was another quick read. I think this story could've easily been told in 2 or 3 issues instead of 5.

The writers (I hate the DnA acronym) are making a habit of giving us a huge build up to an anticlimactic ending:

The whole Robotican war just to have Brainy give in and let Computo evolve.

Ra's escaping and running amok, only to have him give up and let himself be recaptured.

And now Universo takes over every mind in the universe, yet he's taken down by Cub and Imra rather easily IMO.

If he's that powerful is he really going to be pacified by a dream about being a busboy? And is the same machine that subdued an ordinary Titan really going to be powerful enough to subdue "the most powerful telepath Titan every produced"?

I agree that Sensor's personality has changed way too much to be believable, but I hated her old personality so I don't mind the change too much.

Dreamer still doesn't seem to be displaying that much control over her power. Her appearance in that issue of Legion World led us to believe she now has TOTAL control over her visions and can summon one any time about anything. In this issue, she again seems to be sitting around, waiting for a vision to hit her at random. How about a little consistency for a change? I would've also liked to see more of her fighting skill. She only got one punch in against Sensor and then Imra waded in to break it up? I'd have thought that with Nura's Khundian battle training she could've swatted Imra away and proceeded to put the smackdown on Sensor without raising a sweat.

On the plus side, I'm still loving Batista's art and want to have his baby. AND Dreamer's FINALLY a Legionnaire! Woohoo. Now, sign up Dirk, dammit.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
I think I figured out what the deal is with Cub...

Soneone has been spiking his formula with pureed space-fish meat(it's brain food). This has given him Ultra Mental powers, but he can only use one lobe at a time.

Maybe its just a phase he's going through.

Seriously though... I'll be here all week. Try the space veal. Be sure to tip your Vidars (Vidar is the martian translation for wondering waiter).

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:

I liked the cat fight too

Cat fights are COOL! [Big Grin]

And... and... a-a-a-and TWINS!!

Portfolio Boy
Deputy

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
ACK!!

Never! You just need to know what Gary named it.

-

Oh, SunBoy1

-

"pretty sneaky sis"

And bonus points for knowing what board game commercial that quote references... [Big Grin]

[ August 28, 2003, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Portfolio Boy ]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.