Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Take a bet on Legion sales... (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Take a bet on Legion sales...
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
I think we'll see a LSH sales record for the #1 issue. Waid gets lots of fanboy press and the faithful will follow along. Many of them will buy that extra issue to bag and tuck away in their long boxes.

#2 will tell a completely different story.

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Kid:
I think we'll see a LSH sales record for the #1 issue. Waid gets lots of fanboy press and the faithful will follow along. Many of them will buy that extra issue to bag and tuck away in their long boxes.

#2 will tell a completely different story.

It'll get a boost, but considering the depressed state of the industry, it will NOT set a new record. And I doubt it'll be in the Top 5, never mind top.

But yeah, expect at least a quarter of issue 1 sales to vanish with 2.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Forgot to post this:

quote:
http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=36&t=002693
(57) SUPERMAN: BIRTHRIGHT
07/ 2003: Superman: Birthright #1 (of 12) -- 48,789
08/ 2003: Superman: Birthright #2 (of 12) -- 42,461 (-13.0%)
09/ 2003: Superman: Birthright #3 (of 12) -- 41,565 (- 2.1%)
10/ 2003: Superman: Birthright #4 (of 12) -- 41,258 (- 0.7%)
11/ 2003: Superman: Birthright #5 (of 12) -- 39,749 (- 3.7%)
12/ 2003: --
01/ 2004: Superman: Birthright #6 (of 12) -- 36,831 (- 7.3%)
02/ 2004: Superman: Birthright #7 (of 12) -- 35,953 (- 2.4%)
03/ 2004: Superman: Birthright #8 (of 12) -- 35,524 (- 1.2%)
04/ 2004: Superman: Birthright #9 (of 12) -- 35,200 (- 0.9%)
05/ 2004: Superman: Birthright #10 (of 12) -- 35,052 (- 0.4%)
06/ 2004: Superman: Birthright #11 (of 12) -- 34,829 (- 0.6%)
07/ 2004: Superman: Birthright #12 (of 12) -- 33,885 (- 2.7%)
6 months: -8.0%

"Ultimate Superman" concludes with a wimper. The title has performed solidly throughout its run, but it's done so at an embarrassingly low level.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Let-Down Lad
Fails to live up to expectations, no matter how low!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Let-Down Lad   Email Let-Down Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Personally, I think that #1 is going to do shockingly well. I was lurking over at Newsarama's board this morning and it seemed to be on an awful lot of posters' must buy list when the December solicitations came out.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it will be number one, but it will be on the better side of the top 100.

In terms of its staying power, I think its a fifty-fifty proposition. If they can do something original, edgy, and with a broad appeal, I think it could be a good selling title. That is to say, if the new legion can offer the curious fan boys and Waid lovers something truly different than the majority of Superhero titles it will do well.

Oh, and while Birthright was fairly unspectacular, both in terms of story and sales, I like to think that Waid will be allowed to take way more risks on the Legion than he was on Superman.

[ September 15, 2004, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: Cad Lad ]

--------------------
"Suit yourself, John. But real men wear pants, y'know?"--King Faraday in DC: New Frontier

From: Montreal | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm certain it's going to sell really well. We already know it's going to have 2 big name creators, a re-pre-post-das-jack boot to end the slow descent into bordom and capture the interest of new readers, a decent amount of hype and it's "hey Presto!! decent sales again"

Well thats my opinion anyway [Big Grin] And I bet a set of Bevis's gorgeous Queen of Diamond books against the first poster who disagrees that in Dec 2005 the Legion will be back in the top 10 again best selling DC comics.

[ September 15, 2004, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Mrs C B H.I.V.E. ]

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
Imo, the new generation of fans they yearn for will consist largely of current comic book readers who USED TO be Legion fans but dropped the book for one reason or another, plus followers of Waid and/or Kitson. I just don't see how this will translate into DC's stated goal of 50-60K new readers (or even 50-60K steady readers total). Their expectations for this franchise seem highly unrealistic. That's dangerous, because if sales don't match the numbers DC is dreaming of, the LSH will find itself in trouble again this time next year, even if it's selling at a perfectly decent 35K.

[ September 15, 2004, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Tromium Crystal ]

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyleLyle
hmmmm....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyleLyle   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I think the marketing machine is more strongly behind this one than the previous Legion #1, leading to some pretty strong sales for the franchise (which has been dying a slow and painful death for over a decade now) and I'm hearing some of the fans who I remember loudly complaining about Legion of the Damned (I just grew indifferent) show interest in the franchise again. Taking in all factors, I'm thinking a debut in the low 40s.

Number ten's sales really depends on the marketing, IMO. If DC were to put a digest-sized collection behind the relaunch (I've always thought the Legion was a good fit for the manga audience and this one seems an even stronger fit) they might finally manage to bring the franchise to a new audience.

'course that's expecting good marketing. I expect marketing to quickly forget about the Legion after the first issue, as usual. (Aside from the typical underprinting and 'issue one sold out' press releases.) In that case my prediction for issue ten falls at about 32K.

BTW, what do those ICV2 numbers reflect? Pre-orders or total orders?

--------------------
Lyle's part-time blogging

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot

quote:
Originally posted by 235 - Andy S:
I'd like to point out that Kevin Smith took a second string DEAD character and made it a top 10 book. Isn't it possible for Waid to do the same?

POSSIBLE SURE.

Will Waid do it?

PROBABLY NOT.

Yeah. Green Arrow sold like gangbusters because of Kevin Smith (and Brad Meltzer), not Oliver Queen. Superman/Batman and Superman are similarly being carried by Mike Turner & Jim Lee (as Lee boosted Batman before that). Meltzer's carrying ID Crisis now.

Neither Waid nor Kitson have anything LIKE that level of cache.

--------------------

235 - Andy S
Check out the VOTE-A-MATIC now!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 235 - Andy S   Author's Homepage   Email 235 - Andy S         Edit/Delete Post     
Apparently, Levitz said on the Baltimore panel that DC would support the new Legion series with a quick turnaround on a TB of the first story arc, priced at around $10. This action has proven incredibly successful with Fables and Y The Last Man, and has kept Losers and Human Target alive.

Granted, these are Vertigo books - though certainly a wide spread in terms of subject material and style - and the DCU superhero side has not seemed to benefit the same way from this tactic (Dial H for HERO, Aquaman, Fallen Angel, Gotham Central). But if the Legion can stretch beyond the appearance of a DCU Superhero book and return to its Superhero/Science Fiction straddling roots, then it's certainly possible that the series could be supported in similar fashion. Right?

Just wanted to point another avenue of sales support on this thread.

[ September 15, 2004, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: 235 - Andy S ]

From: Lauderhill, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I collect most my comics in trade. Only get a handful of monthly titles and about 3 to 10 trades depending on the month. [Wink]

Great idea to release this in trade so quickly.

Jorge

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Lad
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
The scariest thing about all this is that Mark Waid believes his own prediction. This isn't a Stan Lee type boast to boost sales, it's what he actually believes. It just goes to show how delusional Waid has become, and how impaired his judgement is. Those sales figures on Birthright and FF are nothing to write home about. Waid is descending to Peter David levels of sales, where a loyal readership will follow him around, but not much else.

At least Stan Lee knew when he was full of shit - Waid doesn't.

--------------------
My powers are Legion!

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
After seeing the buzz generated by the mere solicit and cover image for LSH # 1, I predict that both LSH # 1 AND # 2 will place solidly within the Top 50.

# 3 and # 4 will see a drop, but based on the book's quality, # 5 and #6 will either see a jump back up or a continuation of the standard comic sales erosion.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
And don't forget:

Lashie Poo is a famous advice columnist, so he has insight that few others have.

If he says it, then it will be so! [Big Grin] [Love]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
The Princess is correct!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Reboot

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
After seeing the buzz generated by the mere solicit and cover image for LSH # 1, I predict that both LSH # 1 AND # 2 will place solidly within the Top 50.

Well, considering that July's 50th place was Thor #82, with estimated sales of 36,094, if it doesn't keep above that level, there's no buzz there and it'll be lucky to see out the year.

Doom Patrol #1: 39,309 (46)
Doom Patrol #2: 33,595 (58)

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.