Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » LSH wins "Most Disapponting Revamp" Award (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: LSH wins "Most Disapponting Revamp" Award
wamu2
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wamu2           Edit/Delete Post     
I am unable to compare this to previous incarnations. I like it so far. but then I enjoyed Wilcats 3.0, Alias, and Fire Fly. so what do I know. [Smile]

perhaps this revamp's popularity would increase if Waid made all the team members mutants! [Wink]

From: chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
Sentients, sentients. The "Tart To Heart" feature at ST poses a question to its members and the various replies are published in the column. (Another recent question -- off the top of my head -- was "What comic property would you like to be made into a movie/tv series?") Sequential Tart gave an award to the LSH much to the same degree that Legion World loves Lester Spiffany and is gonna marry him.

[ June 14, 2005, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Thriftshop Debutante ]

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

-
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
How in the sprockin' hell can they pick the Legion as Most Disappointing Revamp with that dredge Byrne calls the Doom Patrol and the Demon is out there? [Disgusting]

Maybe she never expected those revamps to be any good to begin with, so she wasn't disappointed when they weren't.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Reminds me of the last issue of Too Much Coffee Man, the cover of which displayed "Winner of an Award We Made Up Ourselves".

I'm not particularly bothered by dissenting opinions, especially when people give some reasons. Not everybody likes the new Legion - or the old one for that matter. On initial reading, I also saw parallels between the current political climate and Waid's 31st century - but I really think he's working with, if not universal, recurrent themes throughout Earth history. Repressive, overcautious, façade-maintaining regimes versus idealistic or thrill-seeking young people. So, personally, I don't find it a tiresome allegory for our times. Six issues have given us more complex (and mature) characters than the Preview's rebellious teens and temper-tantruming Lyle. Perhaps this commentator didn't read beyond the Preview and issue #1 - or she just doesn't like the series.

Just how many revamps were there last year? Legion, Doom Patrol - was that it?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:
Sequential Tart gave Waid's LSH the 2005 Tartie Award for "The Most Disappointing Revamp".

Excerpts:

"And the Legion is now a loose alliance of whiny, unpleasant, self-absorbed brats who fancy themselves the leaders of a youth movement." ......

"It's clear that Waid is attempting to comment on the current political climate, and in particular the repressive efforts by the Bush administration to crack down on alleged threats to "national security." Waid's cause is worthy, and his storylines do raise some interesting issues. But in order for readers to stick with a story long enough to think about the issues it raises, those readers have to have at least a modicum of sympathy for the story's characters. And that's where Waid's Legion (Post-Boot, Version II) fails."

You can read the whole article HERE.

Agree? Disagree? I'll voice my typically vehement opinions later, when I have more time.

Disagree completely. It's my favorite Legion in a VERY long time. A VERY, VERY long time. I find the Legion's cause to be sympathetic largely because the youth movement is merely the surface of their goal. I don't see anything particularly wrong with the Legionnaires, either, especially when you compare them with Action and Adventure era Legion. THAT was a cruel Legion.

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by EmeraldEmpress:
Abnett & Lannig make good things like :
The new origin of The Legion.
Triad 6 Umbra personalities.
Invisible Kid.
Workforce (The first team)
XS and Kinetix

About the only thing I liked of the above was Kinetix, and not the version Abnett & Lanning used. I absolutely hated that one. She had no personality and did just about nothing.

quote:
[wb]Now we have anothers things changes again in the heroes origins.

A Star Boy afromerican.
A Karate Kid euroamerican?
Garth from Trom.
Projectra without Orando.
Silly origins for Tinya and Luornu.
The legionnaires don't work more like a team of pals.
It's sad, but the spirit of the group is broken.
[/qb]

I like the new Star Boy and Karate Kid. Garth and Projectra's changes aren't problematic for me. I like Lu's new origin a lot but don't care much for Tinya's. As for spirit, shouldn't we wait to see if the Legion finally unites before passing judgment as to whether or not it is broken?

quote:
But my Legion died many years ago in The Magic Wars.
So did mine. I liked early Five Years Later stuff, but I lost interest sometime after the first year. The reboot Legion never really grabbed me. I enjoy this new version because they're the most similar to the Legion I remember seeing in over a decade.

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Kayak
Italian Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Kayak   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
i think that waid made the best work possible to build a legion with whom today's teenagers could relate.

i mean, i don't think new readers could be attracted only by the sense of freedom given by the image of a flying youngster, since if they want to "feel" flying they don't have but to turn on they playstation 2.
so, waid gave to current superheroes comics' audience a reason to make them want to be a legionnaire.

given that, i'm not surprised by older legion fans who don't stick with the new series. i myself am way over with the part of my life when i couldn't communicate with my parents [Wink]
i think that for the gal who gave the new legion this nice prize [Razz] just wasn't enough that the current series is a good reading by itself, but she were disappointed by the fact that the legion isn't written for her anymore.

me, i'm enjoying the new series a lot! but to be honest, maybe i prefered the "star trek-like" DnA version, the one from the first year or so of the legion.

[ June 15, 2005, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Mr. Kayak ]

--------------------
Ciao a tutti,
FABIO

http://www.nottolone.net/legione/

From: Milan, Italy | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
The whole "We're so sick of it, we could scream" angle is getting tired already. That's not inspiration, it's desperation -- especially when The Revolution (imagined or not) to correct the situation is long delayed.

What I'm also sick of -- sorry, Teeds -- is Lester Spiffany. Jokes, including joke characters, and catch phrases fall flat after a while.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Grey'll feel different when he (and all of LW) is married to Lester.
Mediocre Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mediocre Boy   Email Mediocre Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
For years and years I was one of those Legion fans who just couldn't get over the loss of the Levitz and TMK Legion. But the last issue (#6) really and truly helped me to get over this and move on.

That's not to say that everything about this incarnation pleases me, but simply that this version of the Legion finially "clicked" with me. In fact, matters of characterization or situational setting aside, I'm literally on the edge of my seat waiting for the next issue to come out for the first time in years.

My only real criticism, I suppose, is the idea that the creative staff may have their own list of favourite characters that they wish to use to the complete exclusion of other ones. In a comic as old and well-establshed as the Legion of Superheroes, I think that they have a duty to please as many fans as possible--even ones who like characters that they themselves dislike. After all, if they want to be completely original, then they should simply create a book of new characters rather than subjecting long-standing Legion fans to their personal whims.

I myself, for example, really liked the "Sneckie" version of Princess Projectra, but began to refrain from voicing this support when I realized how many fans of her previous incarnation were deeply offended by the re-boot version. Maybe the creators should reconsider making their own personal preferences less apparent when making plot and character decisions about the book, too. Just a thought anyway.

[ June 15, 2005, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: Mediocre Boy ]

--------------------
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Okay, so the meek[s] shall inherit inherit the Earth, but what about the geeks? I still want Baffin Island--polar bears and all! :)

From: Brampton, Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

I wasn't offended by Jeka but I didn't like her much. I'm not sure what it was about her. She was almost too syrupy sweet except when someone really pissed her off. Or am I confusing her with Monstress? Then again, I wasn't fond of the reboot Legion as a whole and she was just one more thing not to like.

Another thing about Jeka is that I don't think anyone objected to a giant snake member of the team, but not one who was the new incarnation of Projectra. I think she strayed too far in appearance and temperament to be a rebooted version of Jeckie in the eyes of her supporters.

--------------------
Dan

Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
That was my only complaint with Jeka. It had taken me years before Paul Levitz finally got me to love Projectra (starting with the first Baxter arc, but more so with Sensor Girl). So when she was returned in the reboot, I was at first excited. But then she was shown to be different... radically different. It wasn't a new hair color, or simply a sweet disposition. She went from being a humanoid woman to a giant snake. That was just a bit too radical a switch for me.

Now, if they had introduced a new snake character, perhaps a telekinetic or a hypnotist or something, then I most likely would never have minded the character. Even an illusion-casting snake that was not royal and called Sensor I could have dealt with. But not as a reboot Projectra.

I doubt many fans would of other Legionnaires would have felt the same way if they had introduced: Saturn Squirrel? Lightning Lizard? Cosmic Koala?

I think that it's one thing to tweak a character when you reboot them, so long as, when the day is over, there is still enough left of the original to keep you comfortable. It would be like rebooting Dawnstar as a dragon. Sure, they both fly, and dragons ARE cool, but would any Dawnstar fan really find that reboot satisfying?

At least with this reboot, the Legionnaires are still more or less recognizable. Sure there have been tweaks to origins and skin color, but they are still similar enough (so far) to the originals that I can deal. And maybe in a year or so, after we've gotten to know this new Legion better, they won't seem very different from earlier versions at all.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmeraldEmpress
Beautiful & Merciless

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmpress   Email EmeraldEmpress         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm sorry for my mistake, I forgot the first preboot run was for Waid (again) and mcgraw. Correct?

One question to the fans.
Is this revamp really necesary?
Why don't simply kill all the bad characters from the reboot (Sensor, Jarth, Shikari, Wildfire, Kid Quamtun, Dreamer, Leviathan (Vi)Apparition & Cube) and bring back in a time ship from another alternative reality all the good ones (Projectra, Garth, Jan, Gim, Drake, Dawnstar, Block, Dirk, Nura, Mysa, Tenzil,Chuck, Tinya and Salu)
And the we keep the best of the reboot (Triad, Umbra, Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy, XS, Kinetix, Gates, Mon'el, Star Boy, Gear,Invisible Kid, Brainiac 5, Andromeda, Chameleon, Spark, Ultra Boy, Ferro, Karate Kid).
What do you think about my idea?

--------------------
From Spain with glamour.

From: Valencia- Spain | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
I love having Gim, Jan, and Jeckie back, [and having Kinetix, Kid Q, and Gates gone] but so far I've seen nothing that justifies yet another reboot. It seems to me that the last Legion could've moved in a new direction by having a youth movement rally to their cause without rebooting the whole series. When the Legion made its comeback and saved the day after being outlawed by Ra's would've been a good time for this to happen IMO.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.