Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » CALLING THE ROLL of LSH #9... spoilers (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: CALLING THE ROLL of LSH #9... spoilers
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:
Perplexing, but maybe Cos was referring to the fact that Shady and Sun Boy look soooo good together, villains swoon at the very sight of them. [Big Grin]

Or they look good as recruitment holo-stars?

quote:

Both, probably. Let's try to think like a Machiavellian for a moment. It can't be a coincidence that Lightning Lad, his fellow plumbers AND Cos's deputy leader, Sun Boy, were all excluded from the mission. (Plus Garth's sister, too.) They were Cos's inner circle, loyal only to him and pose a real threat of mutiny. I imagine that Brainy intends to sack them, demote them, subvert them, or otherwise make their lives miserable until they pledge their loyalty or ship out. Remember his words last issue, "I'd rather some of us succeed .. than all of us fail."

Really, don't you think he meant 'I' for 'some of us'? I still don't get the sense that he cares about any Legionnaire or legionnaire, yet. Till he does, he ain't really Brainy, to me.

quote:

If Brainy had sent Garth and/or Dirk to Helegyn, the possibility existed they would rally others around them, undermining B5's authority. Unfortunately for Brainy, the absence of their combat leadership skills turned the strike into a melee.

Was that the intent all along?

quote:

Perhaps Brainy thought he could easily lord it over the weaker "Coslings" Star Boy and Colossal Boy, i.e., the slow one and the gullible one. The others (except Imra) are obvious choices as his political supporters. The biggest head-scratcher is the absence of staunch B5 supporter and butt-kicker, Karate Kid.

Maybe he's guarding Brainy's lab?

Or he's with the espionage squad (I always thought he'd be a natural fit.)

quote:

The larger question is how Brainy could assume leadership when only half the team wants him. I going to assume that Cos formally relinquished leadership before he departed and asked his supporters to work with Brainy for the good of the universe. That sounds like something Cos would do.

'Old' Cosmic Boys, yes. This one, not so sure. We don't know how leadership works at all in this version. We don't know if Cos became leader by election, planetary chance machine selection, having the highest scores on the kissing machine or by self-acclamation. We don't know if he's been the only leader.

quote:

It looked to me like Cos was smiling and having a grand old time. I'd love to see other flashbacks of more innocent adventures like this before the s**t hit the fan.

Sounds like a good structure for a SECRET FILES or an annual, should DC reintroduce those. Or a miniseries.

quote:

A bit of both. The "Whatever" response was not completely uncalled for. Cos really *was* being a tad hypocritical, though I can't really blame him for wanting to be with his family.

Hmmm. I wonder if the little 'l's knew about Braal and Cosmic Boy's family.

quote:

She's painted as a rat, a hypocrite AND a bitch. I wonder if Waid is preparing her to go the way of Kid (James) Quantum.

That'd be a shame. She wasn't so unlikeable in her 'focus' issue... and the 'new' Caarg deserves plenty more examination/exploration.

Would the Caargites send a new trio to replace her if she did as you suggested? Or a duo?

quote:

Jo has now attacked two teammates two issues in a row and there's bound to be another incident, but I don't consider him a hopeless cause. This is Ultra Boy in the raw, a thug, but he's not a complete stranger. We *have* seen glimpses of this Jo before, particularly in Legion Lost, so I figure he has the potential to become the old Jo some day. Besides, Shady obviously sees something salvagable and I trust her instincts.

Good point about Shady. And KKid seems to back her up, so it isn't just 'burning bed' afterglow behind Shady's instincts. Not that it would be, anyway. She's smarter than that. But, a little corroboration never hurts.

I think I really need to see a glimpse of 'smartish' Jo pretty soon, or I'll be tired of him completely.

quote:

Not to defend Jo too much, but the Durlan *is* creepy. He's a kind of sad, too. I'm not sure Cham really understood a word Garth was saying to him. Turning into a monster and crying "I only wanted to help!" reminded me of a small child throwing a temper tantrum because he feels unjustly chastised by a grownup. In fact, Cham's actions were very childlike in their naivete, but nonetheless disturbing.

I think Cham's continually surprised that those around him/her/it don't 'get' the intentions behind the shifts. Logically, shapechanging would be incorporated into the communication structure of a planet of shapechangers. Cham must feel as out of the loop as Imra might, after life among telepaths. A good reason for them to bond, now that I think about it.

I agree that Jo's anger is defensible. His actions while angry aren't. I think I'd be much warier of *him* than I ever would of Cham or Imra or Lyle.

quote:

I'm not sure where his political loyalties lie, or if he has any at all, but he hasn't been embraced by either faction. Brainy didn't call him to Helegyn and it's obvious Cos and Dirk don't like him. But in the end, I believe Cham's impersonation skills will prove critical in the coming battle.

I still think Cham could well be an 'ace in the hole' for somebody or other. Along with Vi, perhaps (who I'm *really* impatient to see).

quote:

Jan should have made Triplicate Girl's hair fall out by its roots.

Regarding his battle worthiness, he got his hands plenty dirty on Lallor and with the pirate last issue. All he needs is adequate coverage to enable him to move close enough to cut off the target's oxygen supply. He wouldn't even have to make physical contact.

He should learn how to handle himself, though. What if he ends up facing Gas Girl, or Metamorpho (who *could* feasibly survive into the 31st century) or another Tromian?

It's sort of refreshing that a Legionnaire isn't battle-savvy... but it shouldn't be something that persists.

quote:

Now that Cos is back, she'll probably be forced to take sides. I think it'll be well-nigh impossible to remain neutral. The fact she hasn't openly aligned herself politically suggests her choice may come as a surprise.

Reason vs. passion - that's always been the paradox of Saturn Girl. It's most interesting to see its origin in the form of "Mother".

Reason vs. passion. I'll have to think about that. I never really read that as her central struggle. Independence vs. responsibility/duty maybe is how I'd describe her 'paradox'.

Though yours does explain the pink bikini! [Smile] !

quote:

Brainy used the two words interchangably in issue #6, but if you wanted to be precise, I guess terrorforming is actually terraDEforming.

Unless they really are causing destruction on these planets to rebuild them in the image of Earth.

quote:

The liquid intertron reserves are presumably a highly valuable U.P. resource, and destroying them would weaken the government even further. Some people complain that Terror Firma isn't scary enough, but they certainly know how to go about the business of terrorism.

I think it's the lack of personalities and individuated purpose that makes Terror Firma somewhat blah.

quote:

I didn't notice that Elysion was wearing Brin's trenchcoat at first, but once I did, it weirded me out a bit.

Wasn't he wearing a coat in his first appearance?

quote:

Since the goof wasn't in-story it was probably best handled here, though I wish it had been corrected months ago. I'm tempted to think it was a joke that didn't go over as intended, except the Jo/Garth mixup in this issue proved the editors are really NOT paying attention.

And they said INFINITY CRISIS wouldn't touch the Legion...

quote:

It's been an exasperatingly long journey, but I'm finally psyched for the more epic stuff that'll happen next. However, the possibility exists that unity and purpose won't be achieved by defeating Lemnos, but by being defeated. Wak's 'Empire' comes to mind.

That is certainly a possibility. Not one I relish, much. But one that could lead to interesting stories.

[ September 09, 2005, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Mystery Lad ]

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by doublechinner:
Man, are you folks hard on Triplicate Girl. Can't you see she is being mean to Invisible Kid because she feels guilty at her own subterfuge and espionage?

Very possible. I also like Fat Cramer's suggestion that living with other versions of herself would make Trips less likely to self-edit.

quote:
Plus, she is genuinely loyal to Cos, and thinks (incorrectly?) that Lyle betrayed Cos to Brainy. Just because TG was given the role of displaying the bad feelings caused by last issue's crack-up DOESN'T mean that other Legionnaires aren't similarly defensive, snarky and mistrustful in the aftermath of the split. Jeez.

*Is* she genuinely loyal to Cos? It seems so, but everything is not as it seems, I think. I agree it's likely that she does sort of represent the opinions of many Legionnaires (and little 'l's, for that matter).

quote:

My take on the Element Lad/hand-to-hand comment is this. Most of Terror Firma seem to have powers that act at a distance--power projecting that is sort of super-hero hand-to-hand. If E-Lad can't get close to them, his effectiveness in battle IS limited. I will be interested to see if Mark and Barry follow-up on Jan learning to use his powers for effectively in combat.

But they weren't fighting at a distance at all. It was a hand-to-hand-to-power-to-power melee we saw. E-Lad seemed to be in there trying, at any rate.

I hope Jan does learn to combat-ready his powers... possibly even overcoming at least one of his current limitations. With KKid's help? Val should offer... that way he could even get closer to Tinya, if he asks her to accompany Jan on a training excursion the way Shady accompanied Jo and Val to Sydney.

[ September 09, 2005, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Mystery Lad ]

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by ferroboy:
The disease that made the Legion girls weak with red faces was actually Satan Girl's attempt at siphoning away the Red K from her and into others. I have a hard time believing that's going to crop up again. [Smile]

I didn't think Krypto or the colored kryptonites would show up again either! But they did. I, too, would be surprised if this disease cropped up again, though.

quote:
Originally posted by ferroboy:

Still, it could be a current disease that's mutated out of control. Who's to say? And do we know for a fact that Braalians are of Earth descent?

No, we don't. I wish we could infer that all the planetary origins transferred. But we can't, I'm afraid.
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Wasn't he wearing a coat in his first appearance?

Nope, Elysion was coatless in issue #5 (though it's easy enough to misremember when two characters look so much alike), plus Barry teased that he'd planted a clue about Brin in issue #9. Maybe their samey-same brown-haired looks will actually come into play as a plot device.
From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

I just checked and you're right. Elysion was coatless/capeless. I would've sworn he had a swirling, wafting effect behind him of some sort. Ah, well.

If that's the clue in #9-- that Elysion is wearing a coat-- what would that clue signify? Hmmm.

Is Elysion Karth Arn?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.