Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Secrets of the Legion of Super-Heroes (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Secrets of the Legion of Super-Heroes
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
I really enjoyed Secrets of the LSH, because I had only been reading the book for maybe two years or so at the time, and I didn't know much of the backstory & origin of most of the team. So it really helped me "put it all together" and really understand the team.

That and I also love Jimmy Janes' artwork! He rocked!!!

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
When and where did the origin story first appear? Was that Brande's first appearance?

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Omni Craig:
That and I also love Jimmy Janes' artwork! He rocked!!!

Wow, I'm not at all familiar with Jimmy Janes' art, but I don't think I've ever heard those words uttered by a Legion fan before! I could be misremembering, but to my recollection he's been among the most jeered artists to ever draw the Legion among its fans.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
Compared to Steve Ditkos few (terrifying) issues of Legion, Janes actually WAS the by far best artist of that period after Sherman before Broderick/Giffen... not counting the few covers made by Mister George Perez, of course :-)

[ October 05, 2007, 05:37 AM: Message edited by: Chemical King ]

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
I didn't think Janes artwork was bad, but neither did I think it was great. Perhaps "satisfactory" is the word. I did think Sherman's art was great, though, as well as Giffen's early stuff. I agree with you about Ditko's Legion, CK, and I would also say that Infantino and Staton did nothing for the Legion.
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
From what I recall of Janes's stuff, it wasn't bad. Kind of blocky, but nothing to object to.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
This series was my introduction into the Legion. SO for me it remains the greatest series ever. It's because of this that i got into the legion big time...that and it had Superboy on the cover. I had been reading The New Adventures of superboy (was on my second issue at the time number 16 i believe) and I just loved this book cause it had both Superboy and Supergirl in it and it just held me in awe...i was so in love with Kara at this point. My mom told me stories about her reading her advetures when she was younger. And because of me bringing this book home she got back into comics sharing with me her reading past Adventure comics so I'm a 2nd gen Legion reader [Smile] . wow...when u really think about it.

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dain   Email Dain         Edit/Delete Post     
Yes, Jimmy Janes' art in LSH wasn't spectacular or particularly memorable but it was by no means bad.

I didn't like Steve Ditko's art in the Legion either. I wonder though what a story with the White Witch on Zerox, the Sorcerers' World with other mages would look like. His work in Doctor Strange stories was excellent!

Secrets of the LSH was a good mini series, and a great way to introduce the Legion and its already big universe to new readers. It also had a few "surprises" for older readers.

[ October 10, 2007, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Dain ]

From: Somewhere in the Multiverse | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
I have to agree, Steve Ditko's art is not a match for Legion at all! I think the Dr. Mayavale story would have been fantastic if they had only gotten a different artist to draw it....BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

(Sorry, couldn't finish this post without laughing). The Mayavale story is probably the worst written and drawn Legion book I've ever read. Everything about it just feel "yuck". But that's just my opinion...

--------------------
Craig C.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought it was my opinion, Craig. Are you stealing opinions again? It's ok if you are; I have lots of them. Too many, according to my wife, and they are all wrong.
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Well, since I'm not a fan of Giffen's art (at all!), I won't steal that one from you Lance! [Smile]

Sounds like you need to show your wife who wears the pants in your family. I wear the pants in my family... like them? The wife picked 'em out for me... [LOL]

Dang, but I amuse myself. Heh heh heh!!

--------------------
Craig C.

Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not a fan of Griffen's legion art after sometime post Great Darkness saga somewhere along the way Dirty and Impressionistic art became his style i liked his realistic apporach *if that's the right style name* from the great darkness saga...not that crap that he drew in Legion 50 with the end of the time trapper.

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.