Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Dream Crime 5 - LOTS OF SPOILERS (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Dream Crime 5 - LOTS OF SPOILERS
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
"pretty sneaky sis"

And bonus points for knowing what board game commercial that quote references... [Big Grin]

Connect Four [Big Grin]
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
I thought it was another quick read. I think this story could've easily been told in 2 or 3 issues instead of 5.

That describes very nearly every 5 issue story arc published in any DC or Marvel Comic for the last 10-15 years.

Dude, I remember whan a 5 issue arc was EPIC!!

quote:
If he's that powerful is he really going to be pacified by a dream about being a busboy? And is the same machine that subdued an ordinary Titan really going to be powerful enough to subdue "the most powerful telepath Titan every produced"?

I would say that Imra is more than just an "ordinay Titan." Still, your point is well taken.

I took the nosebleed to signify that Universo is struggeling mightily against the machine. To me it was foreshadowing that it is only a matter of time until he breaks free.

quote:

On the plus side, I'm still loving Batista's art and want to have his baby.

Well I would not go quite that far, Batista is the best thing to happen to the Legion art wise in a very, VERY long time.

quote:
AND Dreamer's FINALLY a Legionnaire! Woohoo. Now, sign up Dirk, dammit.

HERE! HERE!!

-  -  -

[ August 28, 2003, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Portfolio Boy ]

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
"pretty sneaky sis"

And bonus points for knowing what board game commercial that quote references... [Big Grin]

Connect Four [Big Grin]
 -
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I do want to agree with everyone who thinks the arc should have played-out in fewer issues.

I would probably have liked the development better if part four had ended with Universo discovering that Sensor was an illusion, rather than it be the beginning of part five.

I think Sensor's powers post-boot have been used much better than they were used pre-boot. This issue portrays a good example of that.

And, I'd like to open up a question for anyone to respond to: Dream Girl's powers are so often portrayed as seeing the future and being resigned to it. Here we see her predicting an outcome based on whether or not a particular action was carried out. Is that unusual?

From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Awkward Pause Boy:

I would probably have liked the development better if part four had ended with Universo discovering that Sensor was an illusion, rather than it be the beginning of part five.

And, I'd like to open up a question for anyone to respond to: Dream Girl's powers are so often portrayed as seeing the future and being resigned to it. Here we see her predicting an outcome based on whether or not a particular action was carried out. Is that unusual?

I find these two point particularly clever.

It has become cliche, first to show a cliffhanger and second that it be the villian making the play. Showing the hero making a come back would be original.

As far as this use of Dream Girl's power, this may be a first. Off hand I do not recall her using her powers for decision making other than in a hand to hand fight. Anyone?

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
Can't testify to whether Dream girl has used her power like this before, but when I read part 5 yesterday, my first thought was Dead Zone. She's the new Johnny. Then the pre-cog chick from the Minority Report movie jumped into my head.

Nothing else to say, just stating facts...

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
It's a mere 2 days after the newest issue came out and this thread has already slipped to page 2?

What's up with that?

BUMP

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Some people won't get their copies 'til the weekend.

We still have the "Off the Cuff" & "Duke it Out" threads to come as well (I hope); "Calling the Roll" is already up.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
So Universo's name is Vidar after all ... are we going to ever see an explanation for this and a connection to Rond or do they just have the same name? (which in and of itself is no big deal I suppose -- nothing wrong with coincidences)

Jeckie's a tough-talkin' snake woman now --ok, I get it already. She crossed over from abrasive to plain bitch this issue. I hope she gets a handle on herself soon because while I can understand wanting to upgrade or change an unpopular character, I think it's a bit of a disservice to simply sever *all* connections to their previous personality for no apparent reason.

The whole "false happy ending" for Universo was something more than a few of us predicted.

The fight between Nura and Jeckie reminded me of Cham having to trust Saturn Girl at the end of the Blight story when they were at the stem and Brainiac's apparent betrayal during Robotica. DnA seem to like fomenting distrust at critical moments between Legionnaires. There must be other ways to create tension.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I didn't read any spoilers or LegionWorld.net speculation about this issue, so when I read it, I had a pretty open mind. I'll share some of my direct reactions:

I was delighted to learn that Sensor had fooled Vidar with her illusion powers! Good job Jeka!

Jeka was feeling frustrated with Imra and Nura's slow moving, so I excused some of her rudeness, but I was glad to see Nura hit her! I was also glad to see Imra back her up.

I'm quite interested to learn more about Cub and his Ultra Intense Innocence Power!

I cheered during the scene when Imra shouted, "Get out of our heads!" How many times has she heard that one? I was totally surprised that that was when she put in the suggestion that Universo had won. I thought he actually had!

I was glad to see Nura and Jeka's minor make-up scene and have that confirmed by Jeka's vote to make DREAMER A LEGIONNAIRE!!!! YAY!!!!!
Also glad to see her and Thom together. Now we get to wonder about her vision of his tombstone for a while longer...

Tinya and Jo are going the right way for a reconciliation...

LOVE that Imra made Vidar a busser in that cafe scenario! Hah!

In the past I've confessed that I'm rather easy to entertain, but I was readily pleased with the conclusion of this story. I *did* however, feel like the beginning of it was FOREVER ago!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
I generally enjoyed the 5 Dream Crime issues, although I don't think it warrants a future TPB like I've seen suggested in previous posts

Applause goes out for:
1) Giving Sensor a main role in this arc. Her character has come far in 2003. Even if some don't like her cranky personna, she has been beefed up as a fighting fem in the group.
2) Some very nice artwork. I particularly like the view of Titan and the outfit Universo wore.
3) Getting Dreamer, Ferro and KK back into the Legion! I say keep inducting more candidates. Sun Boy, M-E Lad, Blok, and Quislet should be considered soon.
4) A story where the Titan wasn't reduced to rubble. The UP has enough work on their hands rebuilding Earth and Xanthu.

Some minor criticisms:
1) I hope this Cub thing plays out soon. I am not interested in a Lori Mourning/Wesley Crusher type situation where panel space is spent (annoyingly) on them while taking away from Legionnaires who could use some.
2) The Cover art was well done, but the order of the characters portrayed was cooky. The last two issues featured Dreamer and Karate Kid, niether of whom appeared that much in their respective issues

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
I was wondering if anyone noticed the Legionnaires who operated against Universo at the end of Dream Crime 4 and the start of 5? They were the 3 Shooter applicants from way back in Adventure, plus Shikari. Shikari, of course, was there instead of the yet-to-be introduced Nemesis Kid. It was fun to see this group together in action.

Big stretch here - Although Shikari was necessary for their passage thru the Theshold Device, could there also be a foreshadowing of her possibly being a traitor (like Nemesis Kid) in the upcoming battle against the Credo?

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
The Cub becomes, literally, a deus ex machina. A god of telepathy bursting out of the machine.

I wish that this weren't so, but wishing gets us nowhere: The boys aren't showing much imagination any more in story construction. This was profoundly flat and unsatisfying.

Why, when we get intelligible and gorgeous art on a regular basis, does the storytelling fall flat? Is it that difficult to get both at once?

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
Big stretch here - Although Shikari was necessary for their passage thru the Theshold Device, could there also be a foreshadowing of her possibly being a traitor (like Nemesis Kid) in the upcoming battle against the Credo?

That's an interesting idea. Especially since I was wondering what would happen in a fight between Val and Shikari. Just because Shikari can see a path doesn't mean she has the skill to react to it, but DnA haven't shown her powers failing her in combat yet, so who knows what the outcome would be.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I dunno -- Shikari didn't fare too well against Ra's al Ghul.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.