Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Legion of Super-Heroes # 6 - SPOILER Discussion (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Legion of Super-Heroes # 6 - SPOILER Discussion
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
The Lemnos-Brainiac encounter was reminiscent of Glorith's meeting with Brainy in the 5YL series; she appears in his lab (where he is alone), explains how she is manipulating everything, kisses him (skipped that part this time!) and makes him forget the encounter (by driving him temporarily insane).

I figure he has some clue to the encounter with Lemnos, it could very well be through the buttons tapped - activating some advanced equipment. Perhaps his super-brain is better trained, or has greater defenses, than other people - even other Coluans - that Lemnos has encountered, and he will summon up the memory.

Projectra never looked so lovely; all the visual details of her surroundings - and the brief view of the attack on Orando - were fantastic, exotic, rich.

The letters column wasn't what I was expecting - but I thought it worked well - wonder if they'll keep that format or print full letters.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
What a mish-mash. Each one of the stories/vignettes was good, but the way they were thrown together made for a less than perfect reading experience, imo.

Barry's artwork, however, grows more satisfying with each issue. Absolutely gorgeous stuff, rife with imagination. Iwahashi's work on the B5/Lemnos story was less skillful, perhaps, but appropriately surreal.

I'm all for the letter column, and I'm all for injecting fun into the LSH, but I would have been content with a text-only presentation. Better if the two extra pages had been filled with scenes of Jeckie demonstrating her sorcery skills to convince Cos she deserved a place on the team.

Jeckie is now like Shirley Temple in "The Little Princess" -- an orphaned rich girl gone broke. Like Shirley, it will probably take her a while to prove she's got the right stuff. An ages-old story with a futuristic twist. Nice, but hardly new.

I won't really miss Orando that much, but Colu better not go BOOM.

Cosmic Boy joins Brainy and Saturn Girl in the ranks of the idealistic pragmatists ... or the pragmatic idealists. Whatever. By milking Jeckie as a cash cow he proves he's not Mr. Perfect Icon anymore. Some depth to his personality, at last. I look forward to seeing how he copes - or fails to cope - with the financial crisis to come.

Brainy and Dreamy are priceless. Is it my imagination, or she beginning to wear him down a just a wee bit?

Great to see four Legionnaires combining their powers for a common goal, but it just underlines the fact that some characters have visually interesting powers, and others do not. Sun Boy was the one to shine, needless to say.

Unearthing the Sydney Opera House was probably the most impressive thing I've EVER seen Karate Kid do. Ever. I had hoped that Ultra Boy's power-control problem would have longer-term consequences, but I guess it's not to be. Fun, but ultimately just filler.

The Cham/Lyle vignette was cute, but absolutely pointless filler.

Lemnos - a let down, and not only because he's not Lar Gand. Clever interaction with B5, but what's new here? Almost nothing, at least on the surface. Haven't we already had enough memory tampering in IC and its spin-offs? Terraforming, mass genocide, "Saviour of Civilization", etc., etc. He's a little bit Ra's Al Ghul; a little bit Singularity. But that's old stuff too, right? Now, if he starts footing the Legion's bills and influencing their policies and internal politics - perhaps even their team makeup - then maybe I'll reevaluate his potential as a Legion villain.

Issue #6 certainly had its moments, and I'm very glad to have Jeckie back, but I found it rather messy and unfocused, and much less satisfying a read than Issue #5. Now THAT was Legion, imo.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm. This may be the first issue I have not liked. I need to reread it, read your opinions in this thread, and dwell on it a bit.

But my initial reaction is that destroying planets seems to have become far too easy and Lemnos is a re-imagined Nemonic (sp?) Kid.

I was also disappointed by Projectra after being so excited by the 4-page preview.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, I was looking forward to seeing her do something after that set up. Maybe we'll have to wait an issue. I hope it's not more than that though, as I'll be very disappointed.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
My reactions of your reactions. [Wink]

A bit saddened Lemnos is not Mon-El. But from what I understand he has a hand in who has made the core team and I like that. All these issues are being addressed "who is on the team and why". There is some logic now.

We know coming up there will be a split in the Legion of some sort with Cos and Brainy leading it. Thus far we are being led to believe that Brainy's team is the darker side of this split. But what if Brainy is rebelling against Lemnos and Cos may be the lap boy of the UP(Lemnos). Interesting.

ohwell i will try to stop by the comic store this weekend.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Also did we get a reason why Lemnos is always under a red lamp?
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mediocre Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mediocre Boy   Email Mediocre Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Arachne:
Maybe Matter-Eater Lad could be in charge of future letter columns even if he's not on the team.

Now that would certainly be whacky, wouldn't it? Good idea, Arachne! I can just imagine how Tenzil would introduce himself:

"Well, I don't really appear in the book, and, um, my name is Matter-Eater Lad, so I eat things--why am I here again? Hmmm. Anyway, the powers-that-be say I've got to host this letter column..."

[Wink] [Poke Joke] [Big Grin]

Seriously, though, I hope (against hope) that something like this does, indeed, happen sometime.

--------------------
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Okay, so the meek[s] shall inherit inherit the Earth, but what about the geeks? I still want Baffin Island--polar bears and all! :)

From: Brampton, Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jorg-EM:
We know coming up there will be a split in the Legion of some sort with Cos and Brainy leading it. Thus far we are being led to believe that Brainy's team is the darker side of this split. But what if Brainy is rebelling against Lemnos and Cos may be the lap boy of the UP(Lemnos). Interesting.

I've been thinking the same thing. It's natural to think that Brainy is right and Cos is wrong, given Brainy's difficult personality and his history of going insane and putting the entire universe in peril. But I think it may be the other way around, because Cos has consistently been willing to compromise his ideals. In #1, he tries to stop everyone else from defending the people of Lallor. In #4, it's Cos, not Brainy, who gets angry at Lyle. In #6, when Thom says that the Legion is a group of idealistic young rebels united by a common philosophy (or something like that), Cos tells him not to believe what he hears.

Idealism is perhaps the key component of the Legion's philosophy. As we just learned, Brainy's first name means "idealistic." On the other hand, Cos seems to think that expediency is the most important thing; he's almost the opposite of an idealist. So I believe it's Brainy who deserves our sympathies.

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the kind words about the artwork Haggard Lad, Fat Cramer and Tromium - much appreciated, as always! [Smile]

It's nice to read that many of you are beginning to see through the 'layers' of what's going on too and discuss some of the possibilties...of course I'm not going to give anything away yet though...keep speculating! [Smile]

There are still a lot of surprises and reveals to come for many of the characters - including Projectra, but I can't promise it will be next issue...sorry...but the wait won't be too long!

Thanks again for all the support!

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Barry, your art is always a highlight. Thanks for your hard work and those little extra touches that you add.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Tim Drake:
So I believe it's Brainy who deserves our sympathies.

You make an interesting case for who might be in the right when the leadership position becomes an issue. One thing about Brainy still bother me though - the whole "Legion supplanting the U.P." plan. Maybe it's not as egomaniacal as it sounds, but it gives me pause to throw support behind Brainy. The way it'll play out, I'm sure both sides will have good points. I believe a lot of Rokk's reactions have been based on the fact that he's really reacting to other things we don't totally know about yet. He seems to see a bigger picture and if nothing else, it's the fact that he's been reluctant to share it is the thing that makes me not totally trust him either.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gorilla Nebula
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gorilla Nebula   Email Gorilla Nebula         Edit/Delete Post     
i haven't bought the issue yet, but is it possible that Orando's destruction is an illusion by Projectra or her mom or other mystics on the planet? and Lemnos' machinations remind me of that x-men foe, Sinistre or something like that. no? Lemnos must be tied in with the upcoming Infinite Crisis. and after that "event" the floodgates will open for alien legionnaires and non-boy/girl names like Dawnstar and Wildfire.

--------------------
Gorilla Nebula

From: san francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mediocre Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mediocre Boy   Email Mediocre Boy         Edit/Delete Post     

[ May 27, 2005, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Mediocre Boy ]

--------------------
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Okay, so the meek[s] shall inherit inherit the Earth, but what about the geeks? I still want Baffin Island--polar bears and all! :)

From: Brampton, Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

I've read it. I liked it. I guess I am still on a high from #5 (the best ish so far). I have a better idea where they were going with this. I wasn't beat down with underager talk. I forgive the Cham/IK game only because I liked all the heroes they showed but that and the retro comics will get old.

The overall story was good. As was the art. Barry it's nice to have you on these boards as you are doing your best work ever.

Liked Ultra Boy scene. Nice to see his powers haven't changed just putting the character through some development.

Good stuff can't wait for next ish.

Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
I thought the "Daddy, I might actually get to do something important!" line was awfully sweet. What a wistful thing to say. I think I might really wind up liking this Projectra very much.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.