Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » LSH wins "Most Disapponting Revamp" Award (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: LSH wins "Most Disapponting Revamp" Award
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree that this could easily have been shoehorned into the previously existing incarnation of the Legion, especially with Gail Simone's arc already establishing very similar themes to Waid's Legion.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
Emerald Empress wrote:

"Is this revamp really necesary?"

Necessary for a good stories? No. Absolutely, positively not. The DnA Legion had plenty of good stories left in them, imo. Necessary for better sales to ensure the future of the franchise? That's debatable because the long-term benefits remain to be seen. But the choice was never ours, nor even Waid's. The initial decision to revamp came from a higher authority in DC (Dan Didio), who was concerned with the viability of the Legion as a *business* property. From Didio's perspective, it was necessary. Like it or not, commercial interests will usually prevail over purely creative ones. Like you, I hate the idea of the reboot, but I'm also relieved Didio gave the Legion a chance for a new life instead of wrapping it up in mothballs.

"Why don't simply kill all the bad characters from the reboot ... and bring back in a time ship from another alternative reality all the good one"

That's pretty much what Waid has tried to do, at least in the cases of Projectra, Garth, Jan, Gim, Tinya and (hopefully) Salu. You may or may not agree with the outcome. For example, I don't think 3boot Sun Boy or Element Lad measure up to the classic originals, but I'll give them both a chance to evolve. The still-missing characters you mention have not been ruled out.

"And the we keep the best of the reboot"

The "best" is open to interpretation. For example, I can't agree that postboot Brainy, Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy, Ultra Boy, Triad or Karate Kid were significantly better characters than the 3boot ones. It's still early, but the 3boot versions now seem equally good or better to me (not so sure about Imra, however). In other instances - Umbra, Mon, Gates, postboot Chameleon - I agree with you. I miss those guys. I hardly think that Ferro, Gear, Andromeda and Kinetix should be included among "the best of the reboot", but opinions vary.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:
The DnA Legion had plenty of good stories left in them, imo.

I hope so, because they sure weren't USING them. I didn't enjoy any of their stories after the first Ra's arc. I wish they'd left with Olivier so we weren't subjected to stuff like Foundations... [Disgusting]
From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:
The DnA Legion had plenty of good stories left in them, imo.

I hope so, because they sure weren't USING them. I didn't enjoy any of their stories after the first Ra's arc. I wish they'd left with Olivier so we weren't subjected to stuff like Foundations... [Disgusting]
What I meant (as you well know) is that the same characters and continuity could have been used by a new creative team to tell good stories, if not necessarily good-selling ones.

DnA *were* going to leave with Olivier, but Steve Wacker persuaded them to stay to do the anniversary issue. Vomit on him if you like. [Smile]

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I can't believe FIRESTORM didn't win this "award". Talk about disappointing fans of a character! And then there's a 2-issue flash of hope that's then smashed into a million peices. Bleah.

As for the WaK LSH, I'm still grooving to it. The reboot in general just wasn't cutting the space-cake for me.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PolarBoy
Drunk in 4 different threads

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PolarBoy   Email PolarBoy         Edit/Delete Post     
I think this reboot is missing the point. The legion is about old fashioned values of doing the right thing and being something bigger then the self. But this legion are a bunch of random strangers working in the same office to fill time.

--------------------
:polarboy:

From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Except that the last Legion didn't really have those values, either. They were simply a para-military organization directed by the UP. At least this team has banded together to seek positive change.

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
Although I didn't want to see Another Legion reboot, I like the idea a bunch of old characters (Gim, Dirk, Jeckie) are back.

I agree with Blacula completely. Cary Bates had more action in 13 pages than what we've seen so far in 30. I plan on giving the title at least 12 issues before making up my mind, but after 6 issues (which have 30 pages each) it's time to stop laying the foundation and start building the house. Compare the action in the Legion for 6 issues to the last 6 issues of the Teen Titans, and you understand why the Titans still outsell the L.

PS - There's no point in introducing 'new' Legionnaires until the others have something to do.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.