Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Besides the founders who was the best leader? (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Besides the founders who was the best leader?
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Dreamy, Jan, and Jeckie were the leaders I knew the best. Polar Boy I just felt sorry for. And I honestly feel sorry for most of the leaders. It seems it's more of a burden than anything else.

I have to read the old stuff for Jo and Wildfire.

I'd like to see Tinya and Cham take a crack at it. Sorry EmeraldEmpress las trigeñas/morenas need to prove themselves. [Wink]

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Ultra Boy's first tenure as leader ran from ADVENTURE # 371 until sometime during the ACTION run. The only memory that stands out to me is him handing Chemical King and Timber Wolf their diplomas, which marked their graduation from the Legion Academy and full membership in the Legion (ADV. # 372).

Oh yes, Ultra Boy also presided over Colossal Boy's expulsion in the previous issue (which Gim himself had engineered, as he was being blackmailed).

Jo's second tenure as leader was even more obscure. It began in SUPERBOY # 184 and ran until Mon-El was re-elected in # 190. But very little of this period has been documented.

Also, let's not forget that Karate Kid had a term as leader during the ACTION run.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
Good leaders, well post ZH Lyle was crafty and charismatic, though I liked how he had doubts about leading at first. Can't let the guy get TOO perfect now [Razz]

Hey, he wasn't only a reluctant leader to start with, he STAYED a reluctant leader (except of the Espionage subteam) - remember, the first chance he got, he tried to pass it to Cos (who didn't want to be leader either), then dumped it on Imra shortly afterward [Smile]

While he WAS leader though, he did the job well.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah- I don't think spyboy Lyle would ever feel comfortable in the leadership role.

Hmmm... it might be fun if he campaigned for the position and won it as a part of some deeper Espionage Squad plot.

Shrinking Violet was a different kind of very good leader in that brief period before the Eye started granting everyone's 'heart wishes'.

Or was that *all* manipulations of the Eye? I was never clear about that.

Preboot, my favorite leaders were Jan and Nura. Levitz really used their elections to showcase them and nudge them forwards, character-wise.

We can only imagine what he would've made of Sensor Girl after her election (I really don't get her votes here- what did we ever see her do?)

I always wanted to see Sun Boy or Phantom Girl elected in that period, for just that reason. I feel he sort of phoned-in his characterizations of those two characters, for the most part.

Best leader has to be Cosmic Boy, though... specifically in the 5YL and early reboot eras. We were shown why he was so reverenced in the 'middle periods' of the LSH's history-- something we pretty much had to take in on faith as readers.

Imra's probably the most important leader, though-- on a global scale. First female leader of a team in comics. That's pretty memorable.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Mystery Lad, well Sensor Girl got voted in by the actual fans.

But even in the comic she had momentum. The mysterious Sensor Girl quickly grew from "rookie" to saving the day.

She saved the day on the prison break issue where she first confronts Emerald Empress. (LSH #21)

Then the next Fatal Five arc she plays an important role. (LSH 25/26)

And when everyone (characters & fans) found out it was Jeckie...her popularity soared.

After the Conspiracy she was a natural pick. Saturn Girl and Brainy were not going to get picked for sure. [Smile]

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, I don't question why any fan would adore Sensor Girl! Or why they'd vote for her after the events you summarize.

I only meant that we didn't really see her lead the team very much, so I don't get the reasons anyone would pick her over Jan, Nura, Lyle, etc.

In terms of the question that began this thread, you see.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

You are right. I gave the reasons she was voted in not things that made her a good leader.

Ok I'm back to Jan & Nura. [Smile]

googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
My pick would the Adventure Era Invisible Kid

Is there a chronological list of Legion Leaders anywhere?

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by googoomuck:
Is there a chronological list of Legion Leaders anywhere?

Here is our pre-Boot list.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
And post-ZH: http://www.legionclubhouse.com/wiki/index.php?title=List_of_leaders/Post-Zero_Hour

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pariscub
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pariscub   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Pre- ZH... Dream Girl

--------------------
Ze Frainch Legion fan

From: Edinburgh, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
Ultra Boy's first tenure as leader ran from ADVENTURE # 371 until sometime during the ACTION run. The only memory that stands out to me is him handing Chemical King and Timber Wolf their diplomas, which marked their graduation from the Legion Academy and full membership in the Legion (ADV. # 372).

Oh yes, Ultra Boy also presided over Colossal Boy's expulsion in the previous issue (which Gim himself had engineered, as he was being blackmailed).

Probably the most notable story with Jo as leader is the Seerons story. I think he comes off quite well in that (and, as I recall, he comes up with the eventually solution to the problem).
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pariscub:
Pre- ZH... Dream Girl

It took me a while to figure it out, but the
reason that I wound up not carrying for Dream
Girl so much was that she seemed to become a
Mary Sue during the 1980s.

She was listed as being one of the Legion's top
scientists-- I forget if she was second or third--
she had become a superb hand to hand combatant
thanks to training by Karate Kid-- and she wound
up pulling near-Green Lantern level tricks with
the flight ring. And if that wasn't enough, she
became Super Leader.

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I think that was partially overcompensation for how she'd been portrayed for many years, though.

As I recall, Levitz didn't particularly like the character until fans selected her as leader, and then he was forced to really examine her, and came up with what we got in the 80s. Certainly the scientist thing has roots in the character's history, even if the other stuff doesn't.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't really mind any of the things, but the fact that she has so many makes her a Mary Sue.

Well, that's not true. I think the "Poor Man's GL" aspect of the Legion flight rings she came up with was a very bad idea.

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.