Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » The Magic Wars -- Revisited (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The Magic Wars -- Revisited
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
If I was a comics editor, my artists would hate me [Big Grin] . Because I think every single panel needs to contribute something to the story that both the artist and the writer are putting in there. I think that's often been lost these days. When that is happening, I think you can justify pretty much any panel layout.

But I definately agree that its a balance b/t things like a 9-panel grid working in sync with splash pages, four panel pages, etc. Each page having a different dynamic helps make the story more dynamic in a more subtle way. Kinda like Watchman, to use the most obvious and cliched example.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Because I think every single panel needs to contribute something to the story that both the artist and the writer are putting in there.

HEAR! HEAR! This should be gospel truth in any kind of story telling. [Good]

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igee The Mighty
Legion Lover

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Igee The Mighty   Author's Homepage   Email Igee The Mighty         Edit/Delete Post     
Just my simple thoughts on Pol/Magnetic Kid's death:

1) The Needed Death

If I remember correctly, only a number of Legionnaires were present on the "locked" Zerox. So while I agree that it could've been any one of them who gave up his/her life, bottom line it was the life of a Legionnaire that would have been the price. There were no innocent bystanders, no other heroes. Just a number of Legionnaires. Any death from this group automatically had weight in my book precisely because they were Legionnaires.

2) Magnetic Kid

I've had a different take on Magnetic Kid all these years. So you're a "legacy" character of sorts within the Legion, carrying on the "tradition" from your brother who happened to be Cosmic Boy, a founding member of the Legion. Years prior to joining you spend time in the academy, half-hoping you'll make it to the Legion...and likely half-hoping not yet.

But Pol gets in and tries his best to hold his own against his more senior peers, his co-inductees and more importantly, be his own man from under his brother's rather large shadow.

3) The Convergence

A death is needed to open the door to Zerox, with only Legionnaires present. Any of these deaths would have been tragic. For some odd reason (my theory: they don't really wanna die just yet), the more vocal Legionnaires actually explain why they should be the one to go. It's a case of not enough walking for the talking.

Pol/Magnetic Kid hardly utters a word and shoots off for the lock. In his parting words to Polar Boy, he says that it's what one does with his life and not how long it's stretched out. In my mind, it was akin to Pol saying something like this: I'm a newbie trying to make my mark under the shadow of my brother. It's not my brother's fault his shadow's so huge, and I'm really not faulting or resenting him for it. It's just that in this particular moment, sacrificing myself for a fighting chance at beating this thing is the best use of my life. Some will call it suicide, but for me it's laying down my life in the pursuit of something I believe in.

This is how I've viewed Pol's sacrifice. True, he may have been the most expendable Legionnaire at the time, but he was also the one who was trying the hardest to prove he earned his place in the team, with both the certainty and self-doubt that carried. His sacrifice gave the team that he wanted to prove so much to a chance.

--------------------
Igee The Mighty!

From: Manila, The Philippines | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Those are interesting thoughts about Pol, Igee. You are probably right about what likely was going through his mind. It's a pity that Levitz and Giffen didn't see fit to articulate his motives as well as you have.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
That's the way I always looked at it, Igee, but I couldn't have described it nearly as well as you have.

I thought Levitz did a great job on the whole thing. It was a no win situation for at least one Legionnaire - Magnetic Kid stepped up and took it for the team. What else needed to be said? It seemed to be a sort of wake-up call even to some of the older Legionnaires about what was at stake, and gaining that entry at the expense of a life seemed to temper the team for the conclusion. Good stuff.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Just finished this last night (Meaning i did the whole Baxter run the last two month minus #55). Haven't read through the thread yet but here's my impressions.

I found the story a little limp. The Archmage was all plot and no villain. We didn't even do much until the last issue. Pacing just seemed poor. Introducing Amethyst and casting Zerox as Gemworld were great, but why not then make Dark Opal the Archmage, or use the concepts more than just a quick nod.

This is where Giffen's art really leaves the station for me. Previous issues were always leading up to this, and the costumes that debuted earlier were really awful, but Magic Wars cements the style I really disliked. The Archmage was a lazy design, and the Legion depictions were just bad. Fat-headed pointy-eared Timber Wolf, who looked nothing like Brin, had me scratching my head as did the awful Sensor Girl re-design (almost as bad as the current make-over).

It was definitely going out with a whimper for me.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
While I need to reread the story to comment further, I feel the need to pipe in to praise Giffen's Sensor Girl redesign... the best of the few Sensor Girl looks, to my eyes.

I'll have to dig out these back-issues and see if the story still holds up for me.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
While I need to reread the story to comment further, I feel the need to pipe in to praise Giffen's Sensor Girl redesign... the best of the few Sensor Girl looks, to my eyes.

I agree completely.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I always found the loss of science to be an extreme opposition to the core concept of the legion and their universe. in a brilliant way!

this is probably my favorite storyline ... which i'm sure i've said before, and these costumes are my favorite too.

for me ... i was struck by the obviousness of needing body armor and pockets! [Smile]

super heroes finally get pockets in the future!

[ February 04, 2011, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: Power Boy ]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Hear, hear to all three of your costume comments!

And I definetly agree with Igee about Pol's motives.
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
Introducing Amethyst and casting Zerox as Gemworld were great, but why not then make Dark Opal the Archmage, or use the concepts more than just a quick nod.

I would have liked that, too.
I DID love that later, during TMK, that Amy was used to give Mysa a new backbone and a fresh chance at life in the form of Jewel.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
this is probably my favorite storyline ... which i'm sure i've said before, and these costumes are my favorite too.

I loved this storyline too... and the new uniforms were great...

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by SharkLad:
quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:

I loved this storyline too... and the new uniforms were great...
It's amazing how polarised opinion is on Giffen's artwork during this period and the new costumes.

Personally I absolutely hated both

--------------------
"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I need to re-read MAGIC WARS, too- but from what I remember, I thought the art really didn't service the story very well. Moody, sort of expressionistic art fits psychological studies or horror tales much better than fantasy, IMO. Of course, some might view MW as just that- a horror story.

I think the grafting of Gemworld into things was an inspired idea- with which absolutely nothing was done. It was like a name of an unused magic-related DC property was pulled out of a hat and used to propel the plot without any use of said property's characteristics.

The central villain was a cipher, which wouldn't be such a big deal if there was a return engagement planned.

I wouldn't say I hated the new costumes, but I wouldn't pick a single one of them as a 'best' look for any of the Legionnaires. I strongly disliked Phantom Girl's. I kind of like Timber Wolf's, in theory, but don't think Brin would ever wear it. Maybe to a party or a little 'role-playing' session with Ayla or Marella Tao.

I loved the covers, though.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
With the Legion Academy storyline upcoming featuring the Black Witch and her new apprentice (?), I wonder if some references to the Magic Wars will be brought up?

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.