Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Adventure questions (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Adventure questions
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not sure about your timeline questions, but I just want to say how much I hated the post-ZH version of Morlo and the Chemoids.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Jorge,

The Chemoids first appeared in Adventure # 362, Nov. 1967. Although the Red Tornado first appeared less than a year later, in JLA # 64, Aug. 1968, he didn't sport the arrow-mask costume until circa JLA # 110, in 1973.

The Adaptoid first appeared in Tales of Suspense # 82, Oct. 1966, and became the Super-Adaptoid two issues later.

A quick check at Wikipedia and Amazing World of DC Comics # 9 verified the above, except for the JLA # 110 reference, which I recalled from memory. (Yes, it does pay to be that old.)

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I would guess the Metal Men and Metamorpho were probably the most direct influences on the Chemoids.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Considering that Jim Shooter incorporated a lot of things from his high school lessons (e.g., Mano) and classmates into his stories, I would speculate that the biggest influence on the Chemoids was probably his chemistry class.

If this is true, it shows the benefits of relying on something outside of comics for inspiration.

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

True. Shooter's stories definitely lend themselves to playing "Guess which homework he was doing the night he wrote this".
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

This would be a good example for parents to use in getting their kids to do their homework: "See, Jeremy, if you do your algebra, you could be writing comic books one day!"

--------------------

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
So Blockade Boy is really Proty???

I never knew that. (i think)

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Blockade Boy II. Not to be confused with the original Blockade Boy.
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Ah ok. Great Rao I am up at 1am on a Saturday night reading Adventure Comics from 1967?! What have you people done to me?! [Wink] I..I..like it.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Was Adv. #369 Mordu's first appearance? In the story it says the Legion (well atleast Superboy and Mon-El) encountered him before. Strange.

Hiding in Smallville? Mordu showing up? heh.

I have to say Mordu is very scary though. Still is.

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Mordru's first encounter with the Legion is an unknown tale that's never been told beyond the flashback.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Thanks Gary.

You know I didn't dig the Mordu story all that much. It was all over the place. Smallville, gangsters, courtroom drama? It was very successful in making Mordu scary. Infact, I just read the GDS the last few days and Levitz certainly went for that Mordu factor of being down right scary.

Maybe because I read it late but Mordu downright scared me. He was omnipotent dictator.

Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
The 2-part Mordru story (Adv #369-#370) happens to be one of my all time favorites. It introduces one of, it not the premier, LSH villains and shows him at his best (worst?).

It also makes great use of Lana & Pete, showing them both to be worthy of their quasi membership in the LSH.

The scene in which Lu cries herself to sleep is one of the most talked about character developments of the Adventure era. It also opens the door for Chuck to finally get his shot at courting Lu and lays the groundwork for my favorite Legion couple.

This story also lays the groundwork for me least favorite Legion couple...Lar and Tas. Perhaps Lu's thoughts/comments had something to do with my dislike of this pairing but, like Lu, I didn't like the way Tas shifts her interest so readily from Brainy to Mon in just a few issues.

The last scene in which Kal wipes Lana's memory to preserve his secret and then Lar turns the tables on Kal and wipes his memory of Pete knowing it is brillant.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
BTW Jorge, I'm really enjoying being along for the ride as you begin to explore & appreciate the Adventure era. Glad you finally decided to give it a shot. [Smile]

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree with Vee's last two posts so I can reserve my posting time for commenting on...

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Blockade Boy II (Proty II). Not to be confused with the original Blockade Boy.

While imitation is supposedly the sincerest form of flattery, Proty was thinking much too small(ish) in some departments.

And when will BB get his long overdue scene on Shanghalla?

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.