Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » How Legionnaires have fared through the various eras (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: How Legionnaires have fared through the various eras
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks, Cramey... I just counted, and I count 29 Legionnaires done... so enough of the goody-goodies. I'll "Bring on the BAD Guys" starting tomorrow!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

(changing the format slightly for the villains)

SPIDER GIRL/WAVE

Sussa was intro'd in the early Adventure era as an applicant harshly rejected by Saturn Girl. She next appears in Shooter's run as a member of Tarik the Mute's "villain academy".

Ms. Paka shows up again as a full-fledged member of the LSV in S/LSH # 208.

Levitz brought her back as a member of the LSV army featured in the first BAXTER storyarc soon to be out in TPB.

After Giffen leaves the 5 Years Later LSH, the Bierbaums intro Spider Girl into the adult team, giving her the most screen time and development she's ever had.

Once the Bierbaums are let go, the next team keeps Sussa around for the infamous "Legion on the Run" arc as Wave. Her personality suffers as her infatuation with Jo becomes more pitiable than humorous.

In the Reboot, Spider Girl is (surprisingly, to me) one of the earlier characters brought back into LSH Lore. She appears semi-regulrly as a member of McCauley's Workorce. I think I recall a cameo during DnA's "Legion of the Damned" but after that, Sussa doesn't appear again.

I've read that Sussa (as Wave?) has or is going to appear on the 'Toon.

In what I call the "Countdown Era", that upcoming ACTION cover solicit has a female character with elaborate hair and webbing on her costume, which is almost certainly a Spider Girl re-imagining.

SUMMARY

Sussa's the bad girl gone good. The reject gone villain, who eventually realizes the dream and makes it onto the team. The Bierbaums had a talent for taking a minor character and bringing them in with a big splash and without Tom and Mary, I doubt Sussa would have ever made it into the Reboot.

It will be interesting to see what is done with Spider Girl when she returns to her villainous roots in the upcoming ACTION arc, if that is indeed her.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

NEMESIS KID

One of Shooter's earliest published LSH creations, Nemesis Kid was a lesson in "never trusting the hot blonde guy". Shooter later brings him back for the Tarik the Mute storyline, where he was brilliantly ganged up on by Duo Damsel (negating his "any single opponent" power).

IIRC, he was handily (and incorrectly) defeated by Princess Projectra in S/LSH # 208, which, combined with his intro storyline, makes a nice segue for his next appearance when...

Levitz brought him back for the Baxter LSV arc. His earlier defeat at Jeckie's hands becomes more plausible after she snaps his neck in retaliation for Karate Kid's death. This begs the question: Did Jeckie's mystical-in-nature powers override Hart's alchemical-in-nature powers somehow?

Nemesis Kid's zombie gets its skeletal ass kicked by Jeckie again during the Bierbaum's Mordru arc.

I can't recall any Reboot, 3Boot, Tooniverse or confirmed Countdown-Era appearances as yet (though it is speculated he might be on that ACTION cover).

SUMMARY

One of Shooter's most compelling villainous creations, Nemesis Kid deserves a comeback. I'll put money on it happening sooner or later, especially with fans of Levitz-era LSH now in power at DC, and Shooter about to return to the LSH.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

STARFINGER

Appearing early in the Adventure era, Starfinger is actually Lightning Lad under the influence of an evil doctor (that's the WORST kind of doctor!).

Starfinger pops up again during Cockrum's brief-but-influential stint, and this time Doc Hanscolm (not sure if I remember that name right) has taken the costume and powers for himself.

Levitz takes the name and gives the character an 80s twist lookswise during his run, with an all-new Starfinger complete with hot chick cronies Starlight and Starbright.

During the Bierbaum's stint, the Starfinger is now a mob-boss type and the previous users of the name have been killed (IIRC. The history gets a little muddled for me). The original Starfinger appears during a Tenzil dream sequence, proving once and for all that guys in football-shaped helemts shouldn't wear top hats.

Starfinger returns as the President Chu-controlled Element Lad in the early Reboot Era.

And in the Tooniverse, Starfinger pops up with the 80s Levitz look and an hilarious over-the-top flamboyant personality.

SUMMARY

Possibly the most confusing of all LSH foes, Starfinger hasn't ever really done much for me. I would have liked to have seen a bit more of the mob-boss take but that was not meant to be. For me, the most successful take on Starfinger has been the current Tooniverse flamboyant villain. Now THAT'S funny!

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

DOMINATORS

A Shooter creation, the Dominators didn't do so much for me in their initial Adventure appearance. Boy, would THAT change.

I can't really recall any other appearances until DC's INVASION mini wherein the Dominators (as well as the Khunds, Daxamites and Durlans) are established to exist in the present-day DCU (which, IMO, cannibalized too much from the LSH mythos, especially when the Psions already existed). McFarlane and Giffen drew the Dominators with VERY scary splendor.

But for me, the Dominators reached the pinnacle of evil during TMK, forever earning the status as my "most hated of evil alien races".

Of course, the Bierbaums had to force me to question that with the intro of the little inocent teleporting Dominator girl in LEGIONNAIRES.

I don't recall the Dominators appearing during the Reboot, but they've returned with a vengeance in the 3Boot, now featuring SUPER-Dominators. ScaRRRRy!

They are also currently serving with Imperiex in the Tooniverse.

And the Doms continue to make sporadic appearances in the present-day DCU, as evidenced by an upcoming SUPERMAN/BATMAN solicit.

SUMMARY

Shooter's idea certainly became a cornerstone of the LSHverse as well as the DCU. I can't recall any other alien race making me feel as strongly as the Dominators during TMK's "Terra Mosaic".

--------------------

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Sussa was at her best during the early TMK, when she was still a thief working with Circe and Bounty - daring, spunky and a rascal. I think you're right that her infatuation with Jo was more pitiable than anything - it soured the character. Maybe it was just too one-dimensional, the same thing repeated over and over or too out of sync with her personality. Other unrequited romances have more depth (Brin for Ayla) or play more in the background (Luornu for Superboy).

Starfinger has always confused me. He must be one of the most inconsistently-rendered villains in comics. All we're missing is a female Starfinger.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.