Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Let's talk Tom & Mary (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Let's talk Tom & Mary
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I wish I had been blessed enough to have missed the 4-part "Quiet Darkness" issues of TMK but would have hated to miss the rest, even (I say grudgingly) the post-Tom and Mary "Legion on the Run" era.

Really, the proty-in-Garth's body revelation served mainly as a study in how people are willing to fool themselves and added previously-unknown depths to Imra's character. It didn't really change anything at all in LSH, especially since Garth and Imra were so infrequently seen during this run.

This plot point did, however, serve to make SW6 Garth (that is, PRE-"Proty-ized" Garth) a character to watch.

LSH # 50

Untitled

This was the Bierbaums' final issue of LSH and they handled pages 3-26, which I shall now discuss.

They primarily deal with wrapping up dangling plotlines dealing with Tenzil and Jan, and a couple other things.

On Titan, we meet the Lard Chancellor and Dame Prunehead (well, that's how they are sometimes referred to), who totally don't approve of Saturn Queen's marrying the commoner Tenzil, but it happens anyway. Complete with traditional wedding wands last seen way back in the Adventure era's "The Weddings that Wrecked the Legion"! An amusing, wonderful end to the Bierbaums' Tenzil saga-within-a-saga.

Kono leaves to join her Mom's crew (a happenstance requested by the new creative team, maybe?).

Ayla and Brin talk, as do Nura and Mysa.

Jan's spirit does a little wandering while he lies on his deathbed (briefly visiting the rarely-seen Garth and Imra on Winath at a particularly wonderful moment for the parents), and a visit from Sean formerly Shvaughn Erin seems to be the kick in the space-pants Jan needed to "turn away from the light".

A nice ending full of all the things that were strong about Tom and Mary's run.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

LEGIONNAIRES # 1-6

Legionnaires is the series that spun off from the regular LSH book and featured the adventures of the so-called BATCH SW6 version of the team, which was esentially the LSH membership that was in effect post-ADV # 347-pre-ADV # 351.

WITH THE FOLLOWING EXCEPTIONS:

Minus Mon-El, whose Batch SW6 version was lost in the timestream in an issue of LSH and next showed up in VALOR; and minus Princess Projectra and Karate Kid, whose Batch SW6 versions were killed during the LSH Terra Mosaic arc; NOTE: the Chameleon Boy featured in LEGIONNAIRES is the "adult" version, as his Batch SW6 version was also killed alongside KK and PP; joining the team prior to issue # 1 were recruits Computo, Catspaw and Dragonmage.

Anyhoo, the first 6 issues of LEGIONNAIRES re-establishes the Fatal 5 as a serious threat to New Earth and the Legionnaires.

One thing I took note of as I re-read the 6-issue arc: Tom and Mary made sure to spotlight every member at some point or other, a lesson WaK certainly could have learned.

# 1 "Baptism by Fire!"

The founders 3 launch the issue, trying to rescue victims of New Earth's collision between the Melbourne and Djakarta domes.

(NOTE: Following the earth-shattering events of LSH # 38, New Earth is a collection of 94 surviving major cities in domes linked together as a sort-of gigantc space-station... really cool looking)

Computo proves her worth early by using her mecha-empathy to end the crisis.

Ferro captures some sabatuers in a way that can only be described as "death-defying".

We begin to really see that non-Proty Garth is a QUITE different person that the Garth Ranzz that was ressurected in the early Adventure era.

At a team meeting-- Sprouse draws an excelent version of the old rocketship HQ, BTW-- Cosmic Boy and Computo are voted leaders after Invisible Kid turns the job down.

Cos sends a team consisting of Shrinking Violet, Triad, Apparition and Ultra Boy to infiltrate the sabateurs, a gang called "The Hand".

Which should have clued us in to who is in charge-- MANO, who on the last page is standing over the unconscious body of Ultra Boy, threatening to kill him!

T&M even manage to feature Earth President Troy Stewart (the former Tyroc).

A fun first issue that shows at least a glimpse of the entire team and hilights the personalities of several members, this issue also manages to return a long-unseen foe to the fold.

A great start for the Bierbaum's run of LEGIONNAIRES.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

A [Bump] in case Tom & Mary stop by... HI T&MB!

You guys rawk!

--------------------

Director Lad
aka Sudro Brown II

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Director Lad   Email Director Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
They did! They were at the LGBT Legion Fandom panel and got pulled up on stage at the Legion Anniversary panel. Mary mostly deferred to Tom, but he had a lot to say. Someone with a better memory will have to elaborate, though.
From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
'Trust me, I'm a senator.'
From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.