Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » I'm never gonna dance again

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm never gonna dance again
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
The legionnaires always used to be going out, dancing, goofing off - not always, but there was some of that. Even the grim and gritty went to ball games and played poker.

I know this crew has been dealing with some pretty serious villain stuff, but do they strike you as a bit too serious?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I've said this many times and I'll say it again. The only real deficiency I see with DnA's writing of the Legion is that we don't see them hanging out as people. The social interactions between team members was always wonderful tidbits in the Levitz days. How they interacted with one another on their downtime told more than how they acted during times of crisis cuz you know when they're on a mission they'll all pull together and act as a team. But when they were off duty, man, the fur could fly at times -- catty comments, clear disrespect for another Legionnaire's intelligence etc... it made them more real as people that they didn't all get along as friends on their downtime.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
It just occured to me -- Levitz did it really well, but the Bierbaums also did a great job of that when they launched "Legionnaires". Having Garth and Dirk as brats who brought out the worst male teenage tendencies in each other was great. Ferro, Tenzil (and I forgot who else) playing rock music together was awesome! They really made them seem like teenagers.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Good point Drake. Hadn't thought about that before but you're right.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
I definitely would like to see some downtime for these kids. They've been through so much! And all these earth-shattering stories after stories are getting to be a bit exhausting for the readers too.

Eric

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kid chaos

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kid chaos   Author's Homepage   Email kid chaos         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm beginning to wonder if DNA have any tricks up their sleeves besides epic multi-issue story-arcs. It's been like one after the other.
On the other hand the archie legion gave us enough 'down-time' issues with everyone dating and sticking thier tounges out to last a lifetime.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Guilty feet have got no rhythm, either. ... Yeah, I'd like to go Wham! on DnA for not doing more characterization. The DC honchos seem satisfied with not having it break out in sales, though, so little is likely to change soon.
From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by braalian:
On the other hand the archie legion gave us enough 'down-time' issues with everyone dating and sticking thier tounges out to last a lifetime.

Eeenoof tongs pour un liyeeftiyeem?

NAAAAYvaaiiiir! [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
I see a new alt ID emerging...

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
For that matter, could you see DnA doing a tryout issue? Fun (for the Legionnaires that is) has definitely been lacking the last few years.
From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree that the Moy era gave us enough downtime to last a lifetime. I want more stories with a thought out ending, not one just thrown together at the last second as the recent arcs seem to be.

But I wouldn't be opposed to a one shot like they did for the JLA: Welcome to the Working Week. Maybe have reporter Condo Arlik follow the Legion for a day-in-the-life story.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I almost miss the beach parties.

A day-in-the-life story would be great, but I'd like to see some more scenes where they're just hanging out between missions. I keep expecting to see the team hanging out at a bar run by Tenzil. [Smile]

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saturnrings
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saturnrings   Email saturnrings         Edit/Delete Post     
I enjoy the downtime stories as well as the next person. I considered the Timberwolf solo a few issues ago a good example. DnA did a day in the
life which ended with drama. Others of this type would be extremely welcome every 4 to 5 issues.

From: durham, nc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Super Lad Kid:
For that matter, could you see DnA doing a tryout issue? Fun (for the Legionnaires that is) has definitely been lacking the last few years.

Don't know about an official "tryout" issue, but aren't we going to meet a whole slew of Legion Academy students soon?

And I imagine the Umbra solo will be a downtime type issue, but only because it is focused on one Legionnaire. What about the others?

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.