Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Unusual 31st century religions

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Unusual 31st century religions
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Unusual to those of us bound here on 21st century Earth, that is - people can take to venerating strange things, by my little standards... there were some Pacific Islanders who (allegedly) worshipped a WWII cargo plane ... still don't know if I believe that story... but 1000 years from now, with the entire galaxy open, and another opening with Kwai galaxy, we should find more than Progenitor-worship (he's just a standard-issue god anyways, regardless of his origin).

Maybe a Church of Elvis will spread throughout the galaxy.

Or a cult could start worshipping the Brain Globes of Rambat. (Globism? Rambatism?)

There must be a group who hold the Space Rift as sacred, and await its return.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Estimate Lad
Substitute Poster

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Estimate Lad   Email Estimate Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe Lester could start his own cult with himself as guru... [Wink]
From: Kernow | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I would guess Lester's self-worship is probably sufficient for him.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I would like to see something like a Luck Lords cult that would place a lot of faith in star-stones and such. Not so much the worship of a traditional God but the worship of the forces of chaos and chance with the hope that one can manipulate them in one's favor.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:

Maybe a Church of Elvis will spread throughout the galaxy.

That would explain the Elven Elvis in Dream Crimes 2. [Wink]

Don't Talokian's practice ancestor worship?

And, of course, there's the Valor worship.

It would be interesting to see what more of the legionnaires religious beliefs (or lack thereof) are. I wonder if any of them would conflit with each others, or with their duties. (But Jaz, I can't have dinner with that delegate -- eating turnips is forbiden in my church!)

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know if any of you (besides my lovely wife) have ever played in an e-mail role playing game, let alone a Legion based one. But we've been part of so many I've lost count. In one that I'm no longer active in because they started bad mouthing Caroline for standing up for one of her characters, a friend supposed a religion for the Durlans. Here is the text of the write up she did.

Te'Dahva (The Faith)

In the beginning, The One created reality. This was a sentience whose form cannot be known or comprehended by mortals -- so gender terms do not apply. But The One saw that mortal life needed something they could comprehend, so The One created the gods for each world in the form that the lives on that world needed. So there were gods of tide and current for the water worlds, spirits of the stone for underground races, and so on. Each world's gods are supposed to be just watching over that world's people -- the Durlans are not certain that Valor was chosen of the gods; they *do* acknowledge he is a hero of epic stature, and therefore shouldn't be mocked.

The Durlan gods from the Time Before the Flame include:

Lyntai -- the Blessed Mother; the goddess of the earth, from which all souls come and the good souls return to her. Her holy symbol is the gem known as "The Mother's Eye"; an iridescent glowing crystal found only on Durla. Mother's Eyes are also powerful amplifiers of psychic and mystic energy, though modern Durlans don't realize this, and will not allow these gems to be cut or experimented on. The color representing her is white.

Voldar -- Father of Water; husband of Lyntai who ruled the seas that once covered Durla. When Entropy tried to take Lyntai into the Hellvoid during the Day of Poison Flame, Voldar cast himself into the Hellvoid in her place, taking the oceans with him. He is only prayed for now on the winter equinox (which is when the Six-Minute War occurred), that he will be free to return to his beloved. His holy symbol is the sapphire; his color is sapphire blue.

Durggle -- The Guardian; the one who stands watch in the night, defending Durla from the Hellvoid. He is not a war god -- combat is only used to defend against attacks, never to start them. His holy symbol is the "nightsky", a gem that looks like a starfield including tiny swirls of galaxies and nebulae. These are also unique to Durla; like Mother's Eyes they can amplify psychic and mystic energies, though not as well. His color is black.

Cendriya -- Lady of Flames; as Durggle's sister, she represents the sun and flame and watches over Durla during the daytime. She was also worshipped as the goddess of mind and magic -- as there were psychics and mages of Durla in the distant past; just about all records of these were lost to the War. Her holy symbol is the sunstone; her color is red.

Plektarn -- The Laughing One; the god of all arts and music. He is the guardian of children and those who have minds as children, whether through injury or age. His holy symbol is the harlequin opal; his color is gold.

Besanthe -- Keeper of Wisdom; goddess of science and scribes. Wife of Plektarn, her guidance keeps him from getting into *too* much trouble as he dances through reality. Her holy symbol is the rock crystal; her color is silver.

Mirina -- The Healer; goddess of healing, plants, and animals. Daughter of Plektarn and Besanthe, she calls upon her mother's knowledge to heal bodily injuries and her father's power to heal the mind and soothe the spirit. Her holy symbol is moss agate; her color is green.

After the Flame, Durlan worship centered upon Lyntai and Durggle. The other deities are still listed in the scriptures but only certain families still worship them -- and only as secondary to the Mother and the Guardian. Durlans believe that they must atone for the sins of the Warlords -- when that has been accomplished, then the Hellvoid will have to release Voldar and Durla will be healed from its damages.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
Scott, that Durlan religion writeup is very indepth and well done. DNA should use it (and give Caroline some royalties, natch!).

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Very nicely done, Caroline via Scott! And I can see how the highly technological societies of other U.P. planets might regard this as wierd Durlan gobbledy-gook , nature spirits indeed!

Nice touch to have the modern Durlans refusing to alter the "Mother's Eye" gems - just as we have turned our backs on some aspects of our religions' older traditions, in some cases, to our spiritual impoverishment (I'm thinking of gnosticism here).

This would be a great springboard for a Durla Legion World series. Somebody starts messing with the psychic powers of the gems - or off-worlders want to mine the sacred stones (or steal them) - or families start a religious war over one of the "lesser" gods - lots of possibilities.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.