Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Profem? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Profem?
Queer Legion
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Queer Legion   Author's Homepage   Email Queer Legion         Edit/Delete Post     
A lame excuse for Jan being gay?

What was the deal with this story?

--------------------
QL
http://ThePlanetaryChanceMachine.blogspot.com
ql@nc.rr.com

From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
TMK liked to turn things a bit upside down. I'm a fan of those stories (even the Pro Fem story, which a lot of people disliked), and I think they did a great job.

There was an earlier story with the "Grandin Gender Reversal Germ" which I haven't read - so maybe they were alluding to, or expanding on that concept.

I didn't find the idea of Pro Fem bizarre or wierd at all - if people go through physical surgery today to change genders, surely there will be a (simpler) drug in the future to accomplish this. I did think it was a bit of a downer that Shvaughn/Sean had to hide the fact, or lie about it to Jan - but that's not unrealistic and - let's face it - it's their business.

Was it a way to make Jan gay without actually doing so, not taking that step with an acutal Legionnaire but only a supporting character? No idea... but ultimately, to me, it was a real love story - although couched in a campy cover - because no matter who or what Shvaughn was, she and Jan loved one another, and stood by one another. It seemed to be left unsaid in later issues whether they continued as friends only or developed a new sexual relationship.

It was interesting (to me anyways) that the very masculine Circe was shown as a young girl in a dress, in her final panel with Dirk, after she shot herself. I don't know exactly what that was saying but I found it sad and charming, she just looked like a happy, innocent girl.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
What always bothered me most about that episode was how it destroyed Shvaughn as a character. She (I refuse to acknowledge TMK's "chemical" butchery) was made into a three-decades-long transsexual stalker, who based her entire adult life and career on deliberate lies.

That bit of fanboyish creative abuse is worse than any physical mutilation that was depicted -- and TMK was running amuck with those. Even worse than that which "Bounty" did to Dawnstar, as I see it. (Though that's the only one I'll put as being worse.) Because openly gutting a lifetime's integrity is a far more profound trashing of a character than even tearing off her wings off-"stage."

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
Lydda?
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:
Lydda?

Lydda's not here right now. She's out getting her beehive restored, something which TMK neglected to do.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
"Groupie"?
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

quote:
Originally posted by Greybird:
What always bothered me most about that episode was how it destroyed Shvaughn as a character. She (I refuse to acknowledge TMK's "chemical" butchery) was made into a three-decades-long transsexual stalker, who based her entire adult life and career on deliberate lies.

That's one way of looking at it, but not mine... people take all sorts of paths and make decisions in pursuit of "dreams" or objectives, that, in retrospect, were not wise, honest or even that well thought out. Did Sean have a crush on Jan and become a female to "pursue" him - or was he inclined to be a female in any event? Or was he confused, as an adolescent, about what and who he wanted to be? It was left a bit unresolved, to say the least - we didn't really get any further insight into Sean's thinking.

To me, this is all quite realistic, emotions/motivation-wise - even to the extent that things are left unsaid, confused and/or unresolved. That's what happens a lot.

I know you were horrified and dismayed by what TMK did to Dawnstar - but, there again, I see this as very realistic - in the sense that the legionnaires, in or out of the Legion, were involved in dangerous situations. It's unlikely that they would escape grievous harm. We had a lost arm, a few deaths, a torture pre-TMK - they then added to the list. I would think the legionnaires would be targets for humiliating and hideous attacks by their enemies - which is one aspect of what happened to Dawnstar. Now if they had left it at that, instead of adding the confusing Bounty spirit or whatever it was, it could have been a very moving story, with the loss of her wings and her continuing to fight the good fight.

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
quote:
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:
Lydda?

Lydda's not here right now. She's out getting her beehive restored, something which TMK neglected to do.
They never did get that character.....

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
In principle, I have nothing against the idea of Shvaughn/Sean changing genders, nor does it matter to me in the least if Jan is gay, straight or asexual -- his sexual orientation being the least compelling aspect of his personality. What I DO mind is that TPTB abandoned the Legion to two inexperienced writers who were entirely bereft of creative talent and literary imagination, and permitted them to overturn 30 years of characterization and back-story for the sake of juvenile sensationalism.

The Bierbaum's maltreatment of Shvaughn, Dawnstar, Mon-El, Sun Boy, Garth and other beloved characters was an insult to Legion fandom, and I thank gods that their opus was blown to smithereens by Zero Hour. Now I can once again enjoy Shvaughn as the tough, intelligent and compassionate person I always admired rather than the weepy, whiney, deceitful and co-dependent twit who made my stomach heave. As for Jan, I'd rather see him go insane than subject himself to such a ridiculous and fraudulent relationship.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
What annoyed me about that storyline was the fact that the ProFem seemed like such a blatant plot device.

These days, changing one's gender is a fairly involved process, and there are quite a few people doing it. You'd think that if it was even simpler to change gender in the future (though there were a few complications from using ProFem, I think), many more people would be doing it all the time -- just for fun, variety, etc. -- and we would have seen examples of such in the Legion continuity already.

Instead, the Sean/Shvaughn story seemed completely novel and out-of-the-blue.

Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
One such instance, FC, of physical or spiritual mutilation would have been shocking, but could have been reasonable. Constant instances, though, turned the Legion setting into what it had never been: an almost malevolent universe.

As for showing something "moving" about Dawnstar having her wings torn off, I'm afraid you can't really use what they didn't do to justify what they did do. What TMK actually did was have that occur offstage, in the convenient "gap," as a consequence of the double Mordruverse reboot. And they then used its revelation, to borrow Stu's phrase, as a cheap plot device when it suited them: a shock-value moment following a gimmicked-up "battle" with Sade.

If her mutilation had been shown to happen in heroic battle or for high principle -- or Blok's pointless death, or Sun Boy's betrayal, or other character wastage -- it might have had some resonance in the plots, or been honest in evoking the readers' emotions. TMK didn't bother to do that. As others have said, they lacked the skill. Most fanboyish fanficcers do.

[Edit: Not Enough Caffeine Man]

[ August 23, 2003, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Greybird ]

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Schvaun/Sean even for the longevity of the character, was still the second stage character actor. This story is the reason they exist. They are fodder to experimentation. Whether the change was made to investigate Jan's sexuality, Jan's spirituality, or Schvauns, is I suppose totally in the mind of the writers (have they published their reasoning) or up to reader speculation which is great. It was to me weird, but within the creative leeway I'm willing to give.

The Dawnstar/Bounty story is different to me. This is a major character. Much like Coz' disfigurement, this one deserved "camera" time. Whether the ultimate result would be character mental adjustment as with Cos or physical reenstatement as with Lightning Lad, I would wish that this story had been played out in the open.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Queer Legion
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Queer Legion   Author's Homepage   Email Queer Legion         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Did Sean have a crush on Jan and become a female to "pursue" him - or was he inclined to be a female in any event? Or was he confused, as an adolescent, about what and who he wanted to be?

That's what I found strange.

I don't think Sean was transsexual, he was just a confused gay guy in "love" with Jan.

I just don't get how the "I need to change my sex just to have sex with another man" plot line works 1000 years in the future (or today).

What we got in that story only made the issue more confusing.

--------------------
QL
http://ThePlanetaryChanceMachine.blogspot.com
ql@nc.rr.com

From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Lotsa TMK bashing here, but I'm with Fat Cramer.

Tom and Mary were certainly NOT without skill. Read their HECKLER or THUNDER AGENTS work. They gave a buttload of characters distinct personalities in their few LEGIONNAIRES issues. And I thoroughly enjoyed their LEGION issues without Keith Giffen. In fact, I think I liked those issues (LSH #2 39-50) MORE.

As for the story in question-- the profem tale-- I don't really remember super-loving OR super-hating it. I do recall that it surprised me.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought the use of ProFem was rather retconniving and unnecessary. If Jan is gay, have him find a male partner/lover, don't tweak Shvaughn out like that. It make him/her look weak and pathetic, and yes, like a stalker or something, as noted above. It was purely done for shock value, and I really didn't care for it.

And why did people think Jan was gay? Basically, because he wore pink and rarely ever had a girlfriend, let alone a steady girl back in the Adventure days! Hmmm, although in high school, I rarely dated and people later told me they thought I might be gay. Wouldn't you know, it turned out I was just painfully shy. Whodathunkit? (Oh, and I didn't wear pink in high school, so that was totally different)...

Ultimately the only interesting part of the story was when Jan chided Sean with a comment like: "What makes you think your gender has anything to do with why I love you?" That was well handled. The fact that it was Shvaughn, was poop.

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.