Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » How the Legion ages (or I'm I going to be 15 MY ENITRE FRELLING LIFE!!)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How the Legion ages (or I'm I going to be 15 MY ENITRE FRELLING LIFE!!)
Queer Legion
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Queer Legion   Author's Homepage   Email Queer Legion         Edit/Delete Post     
The Legion members aged over their pre-boot lifetime. Don't kill me on the timeline here (it's rough):

The beginning: 13-16
Shooter/Cockrum/Grell: 17-21
Levitz/Giffen/Lightle: 21-24
TMK: 29-32

My questions are 1) has the post-boot Legion been undergoing similar aging (I haven't been following since TMK); 2) and, should the Legion ever get older or just get "fixed in time"?

--------------------
QL
http://ThePlanetaryChanceMachine.blogspot.com
ql@nc.rr.com

From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Well... Garth was 14 in Legion #0. We KNOW that a year passed during the events of Legion Lost. I also think that prior to that, a couple (or more) years had passed, so I would say that the Legion is about 4 years old at this point. Anyone else have more coherent thoughts about this subject?

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm going to table my response to the second question for the moment, as I don't want to get into a discussion of temporal mechanics and aging in comics (Franklin Richards, anyone?)

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I wrote a very lengthy postboot Legion chronology which is available on Lightning Lad's website. I also figured that four years have passed since the Legion's founding. This would make Cosmic Boy and Saturn Girl about 19 now, and M'Onel (one of the oldest members) 22.

Of course, DC has been purposely ambiguous depicting the Legionnaires' as late teens or young adults, and will no doubt continue that way.

As for whether or not they should age, that's a question that has been discussed at some length. Many fans feel that the Legionnaires should always be teenagers, while others, including me, feel that it's okay to advance the timeline slowly.

[ August 26, 2003, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: He Who Wanders ]

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I should hope that they've aged a few years, at least. The idea of Tinya as a 15 year old mother really doesn't appeal to me. [Urk!]

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Lifespans are likely to be two and three times ours by then, at minimum. Longer yet, perhaps, with nanotechnology for DNA repair being available. I don't see any reason for not being physically 16, in today's terms, until well into one's 50s. (And being fertile, with full control over the process -- yes, including that female cycle -- for a century or more.)

It's our own age that has the hangup. 'Twas ever thus. I'd suggest that getting past the hangups of the present-day audience -- about aging, race, sexuality, or anything else of controversy -- is what distinguishes genuine SF from science fantasy. The Legion, as with most comics, has never quite made it over that esthetic hump yet.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.