Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Gates, Bounty and other ah-hahs

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gates, Bounty and other ah-hahs
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
For some reason, it just clicked with me that Gates might have been named after Bill Gates, and all his communist-spouting was like a pie-in-the-face to Mr. Bill. Was this ever mentioned?

The other thing just discovered is that Bounty was a pre-TMK character whose father was from Starhaven. No doubt Greybird, among others, knew this - but I missed or forgot that original story (SLSH #234).

And it took me a while to make the Jo Nah - Jonah - whale connection; I don't think it was until his story was told in the 5YL series that it clicked.

Wonder what else is out there. It would certainly be interesting - and revelatory - to read ALL the Legion comics and appearances and pick up more of these connections.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mekt Ranzz
singular.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mekt Ranzz           Edit/Delete Post     
just don't believe everything you read.

-

From: out & about | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Power to the people!!!

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Fat Cramer,

I think (I stopped reading Legion during the TMK era) that Bounty was Dawnstar possessed with her wings ripped off. I am pretty sure Greybird detests Bounty.

I know in the 70's and 80's Legion Headquarters was at Weisinger PLaza - named for Mort Weisinger who I think was a long time editor of Superboy

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
For some reason, it just clicked with me that Gates might have been named after Bill Gates, and all his communist-spouting was like a pie-in-the-face to Mr. Bill. Was this ever mentioned?

Back when I was on AOL, and the creators were still attending the weekly AOL chats, I asked what "Gates" meant. I was told by, forget which creator, it was sinply becasue he made gates from one location to another. Of course, I had one of my frequent "D'OH!" moments.

Although I still do not get "Tellus", unless it means that he is supposed to be able to Tell Us what others are thinking... [Wink]

quote:
The other thing just discovered is that Bounty was a pre-TMK character whose father was from Starhaven. No doubt Greybird, among others, knew this - but I missed or forgot that original story (SLSH #234).

I'd say I missed that too. But I thought Bounty was Dawnstar, so how could she have appeared way back then?

quote:
And it took me a while to make the Jo Nah - Jonah - whale connection; I don't think it was until his story was told in the 5YL series that it clicked.

The Jonah and the Whale connection was intended from the beginning, having been mentioned in Jo's 1st app in Superboy (v.1) #98.

[ August 29, 2003, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: Portfolio Boy ]

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
want to know how the writer invented up the word "Bismol"? *groan*

And "Zerox"? [Roll Eyes]

From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
But I thought Bounty was Dawnstar, so how could she have appeared way back then?

During TMK, the female Bounty was indeed Dawnstar, possessed by the "Bounty" entity. But there was a character named Bounty before TMK (way before) who was a deadly bounty hunter (naturally).
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

-
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
hey, is that the first time that Duplicate Boy ever appeared on the cover?
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks, Drake. I don't have that issue.

And I think I've read that the capitol of Bismoll is Pepto. Really. The Tenzil scholars here could confirm.

Did Weisinger Plaza survive the reboot? I know there's a Swan Boulevard.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:

Although I still do not get "Tellus", unless it means that he is supposed to be able to Tell Us what others are thinking... [Wink]

Same problem here. Tellus is a god of earth, similar to Gaie I think. But Legion's Tellus was a swimmer.

Perhaps it was meant to be a play on "tell us?"

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
[Quislet, Esq]
{[...] I am pretty sure Greybird detests Bounty. }

{/EdMcMahon ON}
You are cor-RECT, sir!
{/EdMcMahon OFF}

I did know about the Bounty (Jaeger Tallspirit) who was in "Superboy" 234. He had nothing to do with later events. (Levitz apparently confirmed this in writing Bounty's entry for "Who's Who in the LSH.")

The later malevolent spirit who possessed Dawnstar was quite short in moral stature, indeed. When she confronted it, it verbally trashed her own scruples, culture, and moral code, condemning her for not being ruthless enough to accept what it "gave her" ("LSH" v4 n55). And after mutilating her, saying that was both ironic and cruel. She stood up to it and exorcised it, nonetheless.

Unfortunately, we never saw her full recovery -- meaning, as someone said, Brainy (or the genetic engineers of Starhaven) regenerating her wings and flight abilities. Dawnstar was one of the first to vanish at Zero Hour ("Legionnaires" 17).

I never figured out whether using the name of the Legion opponent from the earlier story, with his parentage, was yet another way for Giffen and the Bierbaums to make their twisting of Dawnstar even more absurd and degrading. They never admitted to that, specifically, though Giffen often said he wanted to put that Legionnaire "through the wringer," to quote one interview.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Somebody
Banner-Man

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Somebody   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Why are these posts behaving like they're headlined?

EDIT: AH... GARY, fix the DATE, huh? Its the 31st, but is reading like the 30th. I think I just debumped this thread.

[ August 29, 2003, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Somebody ]

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

in my opinion, Ferro was the first person to vanish at the beginning of the Zero Hour...then Dream Girl, Star Boy, and Bouncing Boy appeared.
DrakeB3004

I don't know how subtle this was, but Shvaughn Erin (Erin = Ireland) as a red-headed sci-cop could have been a nod to the tradition of irish policemen.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.