Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Lesser Known TMK retcons... (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Lesser Known TMK retcons...
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
We all know about some of the controversial, big changes TMK made in Legion history/continuity. This topic is about some of the smaller and more subtle ones.

Two that stand out from v4 #1:

Zaryan as a Khund: Zaryan, who was originally a space-pirate who tried to invade the Earth using robots and a "some assembly required" space-ship, suddenly becomes the leader of the "First Khund Invasion" of Earth.

The Legion saves the Eyth system: Though actually a mistake on the part of Tom and Mary, this was made canon in the first v4 annual when it was revealed that rather than being destroyed as in the original story, it had been shifted into the "Bgztl Buffer Zone".

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
These smaller retcons are the ones that made TMK so fun for me. Most of the time, they were pretty cool IMO.

One of them is that Tinya and Thom had a brief relationship before she ditched him for Jo (although I can't remember where this is shown). Although the Adventure era had one issue (and only a handful of panels) showing Tinya's seduction of Thom, TMK quickly retconned it into something more. This might even explain the snotty attitude Tinya (and Tasmia) had to Thom during Levitz's run, and one more reason Thom was so pessimistic all the time.

There are others as well IIRC. Anyone remember them?

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

The Tinya-Thom thing is actually a gossip-column interpretation of the events of the "Girl's Revolt" story, just as the "secret marriage" between Tinya and Jo is a reference the "The Weddings that Wrecked the Legion".
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
While not on the level of the Sean and Garth retcons, I hated what they did to Dev-Em, making him the "Mad Daxamite". I'm not 100% sure, but they didn't just make him crazy, I believe they retconned out all his previous appearances!
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I believe they were also the first to use the codename Triad instead of Triplicate Girl. This was done, not in the Legionnaies series, but all the way back in issue # 8 or 9, Laurel Gand's origin issue.
From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
The assasination attempt on R.J. Brande which prompted the formation of the Legion was reduced from 3 assailants down to 1. The idea was given in an interview or letter column that the event had been built up in peoples minds to a larger than life scenario, this despite the fact that we'd seen the 3 would-be killers paroled in an early V3 story.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Squire Burroughs as Drake's brother -- that came out of nowhere and only served to tease Wildfire fans (like me!) for no reason (he was in one inconsequential scene and somehow made it to the cover? Gee, I wonder why...).
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

A few more:

Post-Valor, Glorith was behind Brainiac 5's mental breakdown, and I think it could be reasonable inferred that the Time Trapper did the same pre-Valor.

The Tornado Twins, previously only referred to as Barry Allen's descendents now became his and Iris' own children, unless that had been revealed in Who's Who or something like that.

As of Action Comics 384 Lar Gand was not the dominant psyche in his own body, having been submerged by that of his distant relative Eltro Gand. I particularly despised this one almost as much as Proty/Garth and Pro-Fem, since Lar's moody and introspective personality were part of what made him an interesting character to my mind. I realize they were motivated by their need to recast him as a faux-Superboy but I think it could have been done without such a step. I think "Valor's" 20th century heroic career might have been enough of a difference from "Mon-El's" solitary life as a non-powered space explorer to have accounted for their different 30th century experiences. I don't take issue with the Valor retcon as a whole, driven to it by circumstances as they were, just that part of it.

From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
My favorite of the minor TMK retcons was making Molock the Merciless, from way back in Adventure # 320, the brother of the late Starfinger I.

A probably inadvertent retcon that was well worth it was that the Batcave, which had apparently been discovered (see Adventure Comics # 341), was actually just being unearthed in the TMK era (meaning that the one used in that earlier issue was probably a historical reproduction). The "Titan Presidents" thing was hilarious.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I actually think it's funnier if one considers that Tenzil knows full well that what he's uncovering is the Batcave, having been there in Adv. #341, and he's just playing the "Titan Presidents of Bismoll" nonsense for all it's worth.

I find it hard to believe that Tom and Mary, given their impeccable knowledge of the Adventure era, would have forgotten that the Legion had visited the Batcave.

Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by matlock:

The Tornado Twins, previously only referred to as Barry Allen's descendents now became his and Iris' own children, unless that had been revealed in Who's Who or something like that.

I'm pretty certain this predates TMK, being the result of the revelation that Barry had live in the 30th century for awhile.
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
quote:
Originally posted by matlock:

I'm pretty certain this predates TMK, being the result of the revelation that Barry had live in the 30th century for awhile.
It was ceretainly a logical outcome since Barry and Iris didn't have kids in the 20th C, and lived happily ever after for a few months in 30.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
don't forget undoing Luornu's second death, making presumed-dead-body-two a Glorith henchperson.

Also, having Brainy as the actual killer of Ayn (TMK ann #1) undoes #273, where Pulsar Stargrave was revealed as the culprit.

[ July 27, 2004, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Kent Shakespeare ]

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
Kent:

quote:
Also, having Brainy as the actual killer of Ayn (TMK ann #1) undoes #273, where Pulsar Stargrave was revealed as the culprit.
Actually, all TMK Annual # 1 says is that Brainy framed Ultra Boy. It doesn't directly address the issue of An's murder, and Pulsar Stargrave could still very well have been the trigger-man.

Do recall that, pre-TMK, the Time Trapper was involved in Pulsar Stargrave's first appearance. So if that Time Trapper appearance is retconned post-TMK as being Glorith, then it could be that Glorith had alerted Stargrave to Brainy's altered mental state after she drove him nuts and Stargrave took advantage by killing An and using Brainy as his stooge.

(It must be true, my Legion Help file says so! [Wink] )

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

I thought this was a funny bit of retcon-related lettercol chicanery from the Bierbaums:

The retcon in question was the insertion of the "real" Reflecto into continuity by the Bierbaums as a Rimborian hero who competed against Jo Nah for Legion membership. In response to a question regarding V4 Annual 1 featuring several panels depicting Reflecto, the Bierbaums responded by saying something along the lines of "they always felt he was probably a real hero" (just like they always felt Garth was really Proty, no doubt) but then added that the "real" Reflecto had already been established in Secret Origins # 42. The issue in question featured Phantom Girl's origin including her first meeting with Jo and includes a small cameo by the "real" Reflecto.

So I thought, well okay, the Bierbaums are off the hook for this particular bit of retconning. I knew that various hands wrote that series so I figured it could have been done by anyone. Then I pulled out the issue in question. Guess what? It was written by none other than the Bierbaums. So the precedent they referenced as substantiating the depiction of Reflecto in the annual was based on their own work. I don't care that they threw Reflecto into continuity and then killed him off-panel, but still it seems pretty lame to act like it wasn't their idea in the first place.

Anyway, I recommend that Secret Origins issue because it has some real nice art from Dave Cockrum even if he didn't get to reprise Tinya's bellbottoms.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.