Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Things you like about Threeboot (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Things you like about Threeboot
Charles Phipps
I'm actually the Time Trapper...shhhhhh

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Phipps   Email Charles Phipps         Edit/Delete Post     
Go ahead and share what you're enjoying about the Legion of Super James Deans.

--------------------
Author of "Machine Goddess" and "The Undying Machine"
Machine Goddess: http://tinyurl.com/gkp5z
Undying Machine: http://tinyurl.com/jvw9p

Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Phipps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles Phipps   Email Charles Phipps         Edit/Delete Post     
Things I like about the Threeboot are...

1. The Optimism returns

The world of the future is a beautiful one and a utopia, with flaws, but its directly relatable to the Pre-Palpatinian Republic of Star Wars. The kids don't KNOW what they've got until they have to protect it but that's a story in the development.

I prefer "they're misguided and arrogant" in the government more than I prefer "they're downright evil" of reboot.

2. The Character redesigns: Very sexy and well done for the women and well sculpted for the guys. The only problem is perhaps they're a little too many brown haired white guys.

--------------------

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
1. I enjoy having Jan, Dirk and Gim back-- though there are aspects to two of them with which I'm less than thrilled. We've just seen peeks into those three, though.

I gotta disagree with you about the setting. I think it's the weakest component of this LSH. Even the darkest moments of the 5YL stories, or the silliest of the reboot didn't prevent me from wondering about the 30th/31st century of the Legion and the many worlds within it. That wonder at the *setting* just ain't there for me in this version. The story set on Naltor came closest to being somewhat evocative. Everything else has been dark, dreary and stultifying. That's by the creator's design, I think. Bottom line-- if I encountered some mystical being who offered me the chance to spend a year in a fictional setting, I would've really considered the preboot/reboot Legion's 30th century. Threeboot setting? Not even in the top 100.

Back to the 'like' column (sorry:))--

2.I like Phantom Girl's costume and the elegant way Barry pencils her.

3.I like Shadow Lass' sass,

4. Micro Lad's eagerness

5. and Star Boy's good heart.

6.I like the idea of the little 'l' legionnaires camped around the HQ.

7.I like Elysion (though I wish he didn't look so much like Lemnos and a third of the male Legionnaires).

8.I like that Sun Boy has parents that care about him this time around.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Brin Londo!

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Top of the list HAS to be the return of Projectra, Sun Boy, Colossal Boy, Element Lad & Lightning Lad into the Legion.

A close second is the sense of humour present in the current series.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Phipps

The maturity of the title also is important. Part of what I love is the attempt to massively (but slowly) build all the relationships and cast up again.

The comics feel more like books than the vast majority of the ones I read.

--------------------

Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
I like that I, a (for the most part) newcomer to the Legion, can jump on and fall in love with the characters for the first time.

And I really, really like Dream Girl and Brainiac 5. Together and apart. [Wink]

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PolarBoy
Drunk in 4 different threads

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PolarBoy   Email PolarBoy         Edit/Delete Post     
sorry to be the wet blanket but I would have much rather seen this team have a bash at writting the prior team and not do this silly reboot.

--------------------
:polarboy:

From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmeraldEmpress
Beautiful & Merciless

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmpress   Email EmeraldEmpress         Edit/Delete Post     
Mllash post:
Top of the list HAS to be the return of Projectra, Sun Boy, Colossal Boy, Element Lad & Lightning Lad into the Legion.
I Agreed 100%

And really Barry draw beautiful legionnaires girls like Jeckie, Tinya, Nura, Tasmia and Luornu.
Imra and Ayla must change the hairstyle.
I'm waiting for Salu, Laurel , Sussa and Lydda.

--------------------
From Spain with glamour.

From: Valencia- Spain | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
In spite of what other people have said, I like the pace of the series. It really leaves time to focus on the relationships of the characters to one-another rather than fighting constant earth/universe shattering events (this was one of the main reasons I disliked DnA's tenure). And when the Earth/Universe-shattering event does come (and it will!), it will be all the more special, among other reasons because we will have learned to care about the characters.

I'm a big fan of the Threeboot...

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Phipps

We probably won't see Laurel Kent in my humble opinion. Given Power Girl has a relationship with the Legion of Superheroes its quite likely she's either Andromeda or their Supergirl.

I think part of the reason for the Reboots is essentially they killed off most of the core cast in both incidents. Sort of like 'Is it the x-men if Storm, Beast, Cyclops, Wolverine, and Jean (Well not Jean) are dead?'

[ June 20, 2005, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Charles Phipps ]

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps:
I think part of the reason for the Reboots is essentially they killed off most of the core cast in both incidents. Sort of like 'Is it the x-men if Storm, Beast, Cyclops, Wolverine, and Jean (Well not Jean) are dead?'

One of the nice things about the Legion when I started reading it was that the concept of the team seemed a lot bigger than any specific set of characters. So people could die, get married and leave, resign, etc. and be replaced by new members, but there was always the sense of a large-scale history connecting all of it. I'd much rather be reading a series where all of the history that matters to me is there, even if that means a number of my favorites are dead, than to read new tales of "alternate versions" of my favorites.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Phipps

I can understand that feeling. On the other hand, I tend to think of the "Five Year later" and the "Reboot" as Elseworlds.

Just like I read "What if" where the Fantastic Four can be replaced by the Hulk, Silver Surfer, Doctor Strange, and Spiderman....its wonderful stuff. However, it's not the Fantastic Four.

And also in my mind, I try to pretend that this is the ORIGINAL and REAL legion. Perhaps undiscovered stories thereof ;-)

--------------------

Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I like the fact that the classic characters are back, and for the most part, I'm enjoying their depictions. I also like the humor. Naturally, I long for more. In fact, I hope *everyone* will be threebooted.

Barry's art is fantastic. That's a huge factor for me.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
LEONARD KIRK's art on that one episode was really nice. From his debut on JSA, I said he would be perfect on the LSH. (And truthfully, I liked his art WAY better than Barry Kitson's!)
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.