Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Besides the founders who was the best leader? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Besides the founders who was the best leader?
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Again my Legion history before 1980s is spotty.

Element Lad?

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Invisible Kid [post-ZH] [Smile]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Kid Quantum post-zh also I think.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Dream Girl rocked as leader.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
That's a tough question, Jorge, because different writers and different eras had different standards. Virtually all of the Legion's leaders were portrayed as competent until Lightning Lad (who suffered a nervous breakdown and resigned). Few leaders were shown having any difficulties leading (although Sun Boy mentioned that he didn't like the pressures of being deputy leader in SUPERBOY # 208).

The post-Zero Hour era takes a better look at the various styles of leaders, and the difficulties they encountered. I agree with Reboot that Invisible Kid was shown to be an effective and inspired leader, and I also liked Cosmic Boy as leader. Cos had more challenges than his successors: establishing the team, winning the trust and confidence of members who didn't always want to obey (including Invisible Kid!), and dealing with a President who turned out to be corrupt. (The "Chu sting," as I recall, was Cos's crowning achievement as leader.)

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Quis, I thought of Dream Girl also.
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Dream Girl is my pick, too. Wildfire is a close second.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
Virtually all of the Legion's leaders were portrayed as competent until Lightning Lad (who suffered a nervous breakdown and resigned).

And I still say that's because Lightning Lad's one-year tenure lasted from January 1979 (SLSH #247) to September 1982 (LSH #291). A 45 issue run.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The writers of that period (Levitz and Conway?) did seem to have a lot of fun torturing Garth, didn't they?

I remember being pleased when he became leader because he was the only founder who had never been leader before. But he had to preside over the Legion during some pretty tough times: the aftermath of the Earth War, the destruction of Legion HQ, members running off with Cham to invade Khundia and then getting shipwrecked on an asteroid (including his own wife) ... all in all, Garth's reaction was understandable. Not everyone is cut out to lead.

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I liked how WILDFIRE, who was pretty much the new kid, handled being leader.

He wasn't above cheating to get what he wanted (see S/LSH 229, where he sneakily uses his powers to cherry-pick himself, Dawny, Mon-El, Superboy and Timber Wolf to attack the Dark Circle to avenge Chemical King's death). He was showed absolutely no fear of long-term members. I liked that.

Dream Girl was a standout for having her run as leader happen during THE GREAT DARKNESS.

Projectra's run was cut short by the 5YG, but she was on her way to a great run, I think.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
SATURN GIRL, because she made everybody wear those big-ass medallions with her picture on 'em!
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Believe or not, I actually kind of like Ultra Boy in the role of leader.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Mon-El was the leader for the longest time when I started reading the Legion, and I think that's part of what appealed to me about the character. In hindsight, though, I don't think he was ever comfortable in the role, and I'm fine with that, too. As I said, not everyone's cut out to be a leader.

--------------------

Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Dream Girl with a shoutout to 5yr after Cos.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not-So-Bad Lad
Secret Honorary Auxiliary Substitute Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Not-So-Bad Lad   Email Not-So-Bad Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I gotta say...Cosmic Boy just always _felt_ like the leader. He was always portrayed as fair, competent, and compassionate. He was the heart and soul. It always felt as if when things got tough, even big guns like Mon-El and Ultra Boy would turn to Cos and be like "What Now?", like his own little 30th Century Captain America

But if I had to pick, I'd say postZH Lyle, if I _HAVE_ to say someone other than Cos

--------------------
"I weighed the odds of this working versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid and, well, I did it anyway,"

- Crow T. Robot

From: The Evil Anti-Moon!!!! | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.