Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » No Legion Archives in a while--is it because... (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: No Legion Archives in a while--is it because...
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
...of the ongoing Superboy legal standoff?

To me, the timing seems about right, so it may be the reason.

Other possibilities:

1) Low sales on Vol. 12? Any idea how it did saleswise for DC?

2) Greater accessibilty of the issues contained within as far as back issue prices--I've heard this one mentioned here and there as the last couple were released. Personally, I think that's a crock! Have you checked eBay and your CBS lately?

Personally, I love the Archives, and would continue to buy them forever, even when they would reach volumes where my collection is complete. The paper quality is terrific and won't fade anytime soon, and it would just be ultra-cool to have an encyclopedic reference set of every single Legion story ever! [Love]

And DAMN...13 woulda had the earliest Levitz stories, including Condo's death, which I've never read!!! [Mad]

So whaddaya think: Is Superboy the likely culprit holding things up, or were they unlikely to continue anyway? And would you support more Legion Archives?

[ September 18, 2007, 02:29 AM: Message edited by: Lard Lad ]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
I guess it's been YEARS since an Archive has been published. While I bought all the first 11 issues, I did not get the 12th one - because I have all the single issues already (except for Karate Kid #1, but I thought it should be easy to get that book for less then 49 bucks...).

I guess it's far more difficult to get the Adventure run in single issues than those Superboy books. Heck, I am over here in germany where nobody seems to collect the Legion except for me, and even here it was no big problem to get all those old issues (took far more time to get some of the old Baxter issues - for whatever reason that was). And they are not very expensive, so many people will think twice before buying the nice, but very expensive Archive format.

I guess I would buy the Archives when I would get them a little cheaper via Ebay, but 49$ for stories I already own completely? No, that's too much.

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunt Drouin
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hunt Drouin   Email Hunt Drouin         Edit/Delete Post     
As far as I heard, the plans were only to go to Archive # 12. Maybe if there's an outpouring of demand that'll change some minds. However, DC accomplished their goal.
From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I was at an Archives panel in SDCC just before Vol. 12 came out. We were asked to vote on whether the Karate Kid series should be included fully, partially (major Legion appearances), or not at all.

The winning vote was partially. And then #12 was published. Based on their intentions then and other things I've read the Legion Archives were highly successful and they had/have every intention of continuing them.

I have no idea why they stopped. Even though I have every issue that could be archived, I still want them in Archive form and hope that they start producing them again (and soon).

[ September 18, 2007, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm with Nighty. The Archives are highly conveinent for traveling and reading on a plane or on vacation, and the paper quality is really terrific. I wish they'd keep producing them.

The first time I ever was able to see the Cockrum Legion issues was due to the Archives. I imagine the same thrill would be there for a fan to get their first read of Earth War or the Wildfire Legioin Leadership period.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
I blame it on Dawnstar. The next volume would include her first appearance, right? Who the Grell wants that? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
i think i read somewhere they stopped them because they're in the range where most fans can afford the back issues...dont quote me i cant find that statement.

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I've read that too...from fans speculating why they haven't produced #13.

But, each year, those who keep track of the Archives seem to expect a new Legion Archive to be announced.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I think actually it might have to do with some copyright law in 1975 or something where the artists are paid a higher commission on having their art reprinted. I read about it here in the Gym'lls forum (from a LW poster). I'll look for the explanation.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't think that's as prohibitive to the archives as it is to the Showcases, Des... DC retails the Archives for $40-50, and it takes two+ to match what's reprinted in one Showcase.

Case in point, Adam Strange... the Showcase volume reprints all the stories in the two Adam Strange Archives, -plus- five.

DC did an Archive series for the Wolfman/Perez 80's Titans.
 -

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I knew if I mentioned it but was vague and relatively unhelpful that you or someone would be able to complete my train of thought [Wink]
Kalla Hrykos
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalla Hrykos   Email Kalla Hrykos         Edit/Delete Post     
So no one thinks it's because of the legal dispute over Superboy or isn't at least partially influenced by it? Have they published any Showcases featuring Superboy and/or the Legion since the lawsuit was filed?
Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I blame myself.

When #12 was published, I was astonished at how terrible the cover artwork re-construction was, and how terrible the re-coloring job within was. (It was *full* of coloring errors, some major, but lots and lots of minor ones.)
I emailed the editor of the project (forget his name) and complained about that, emphasizing how I was really looking forward to that archive because those issues are really dear to me, from my childhood.

Maybe he just felt like they'd never be able to do a good enough job in re-creating those stories, and gave up?

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe I'm just not all that picky, but Archives 10 (which raised so much fuss DC made it exchangeable) didn't look so bad to me, so I just kept it and didn't bother. Were the problems in 12 less than, more than or about the same as those with 10?

Personally, I washoping they'd continue, so I would get to finally read the JLA/JSA crossover and "Earth War". The latter, especially, is the one Legion story I've never read that I'm the most desperate to finally read for myself! [Frown]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheryl Lad
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheryl Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by The Computer Tyrant:
Have they published any Showcases featuring Superboy and/or the Legion since the lawsuit was filed?

The ruling in favor of the Siegel estate regaining copyright to Superboy happnened last year, and the Legion Showcase Volume One came out this year.
Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.