Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » A Legion of Reboots (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: A Legion of Reboots
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Just how many have there been, anyway?

Does CRISIS on INFINITE EARTHS count?

And don't forget the miniboot forced by the then-powers that be ("NO ties to the Super-Family!"-- what a waste of time THAT was) that resulted in (what I call) the "Glorithverse", which would have begun after TMK's LSH # 4.

And of course, there's the long-running "Post-Boot" that resulted from ZERO HOUR, and now the "3Boot".

I would call the cartoon "tooniverse" a separate continuity.

What about the Lightning Saga LSH, soon to be in ACTION? Reboot or continuation of a pevious continuity?

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
Geoff (Johns) implied that it's previous continuity. He said it's the Legion that Clark knew as Superboy but with time passed, so they're adults and things have changed, etc.

That said, after Infinite Crisis, they're now on "New Earth", so that might explain the continuity errors between then and now. (Er... they are on a new earth, right?) Anyway, I think that's what's up. Maybe.

Ow, my head hurts.

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Did Polar Boy join pre or post Crisis? I forgot.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
The title of the thread made me think this would be about a Legion full of LMB member Reboot

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
The problem is that without the Silver Age Continuity (i.e. Supergirl of Earth One, Jimmy Olsen as Elastic Lad, Lana Lang as Insect Queen, etc.) there can be no "original Legion." The Lightning Saga Legion is as "original" as the Post-Crisis or Glorithverse versions. So...

From my understanding the following are the significant "reboots" -

"Debut" Legion (Adventure Comics #247, April 1958) - Lightning Boy, Cosmic Boy, Saturn Girl, and a bunch of never named Legionnaires.

"Pre-Crisis" Legion (Adventure Comics #267, December 1959 - Legion of Super-Heroes [vol. 3] #17, December 1985)

"Post-Crisis" Legion (Legion of Super-Heroes [vol. 3] #18, January 1986 - Legion of Super-Heroes [vol. 4] #3, January 1990)

"Glorithverse" Legion (Legion of Super-Heroes [vol. 4] #4, February 1990 - Legion of Super-Heroes [vol. 4] #61, September 1994)

"Reboot" Legion (Legion of Super-Heroes [vol. 4] #0, October 1994 - Teen Titans/Legion Special #1, November 2004)

"Threeboot" Legion (Teen Titans/Legion Special #1, November 2004 - present)

"Lightning Saga" Legion (Justice League of America [vol. 3?] #8, June 2007 - present)

There have been a lot of Alternate Universe versions scattered among the above time lines.
The most significant being the Animated Legions -

Version 1 (Superman: New Kids In Town [Season Three] #44 [First Aired: Saturday October 31, 1998] - Justice League Unlimited: Far From Home [Season Five] #88 [First Aired: Saturday April 15, 2006]

Version 2 (Legion of Super Heroes: Man of Tomorrow [Season One] #1 [First Aired Saturday September 23, 2006] - present) + (Legion of Super Heroes In The 31st Century #1,June 2007 - present)

[ October 19, 2007, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
How about retcons? The Vidar retcon? Do Jimmy and Lana not having powers in the past count as retcons?

What other major retcons have their been in Legion history?

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
The title of the thread made me think this would be about a Legion full of LMB member Reboot

To take an out-of-context Shortpacked! panel...

-

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
How about retcons? The Vidar retcon? Do Jimmy and Lana not having powers in the past count as retcons?

What other major retcons have their been in Legion history?

I'm confused. What Vidar retcon?

If you mean him as a Green Lantern? Then, that's not a retcon. It doesn't invalidate any previous story to that point. It just adds to his back story (like most origin stories do).

And doesn't the Jimmy/Lana thing have to do with Crisis?

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I think the Vidar retcon is the one early in 5YL in which he's fighting Mordru on a medieval-type world - and unraveling, with Mysa's help, that Mordru erased the Legion's reality. Perhaps more of an alternate universe within that 5YL continuity than an actual retcon.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
The big retcons in the pre-crisis Legion were in the late Bronze Age when the adult Legion stuff was shunted to another timeline and all the Jimmy/Lana and a lot of the goofier silverage Superman stuff discarded.

I found that issue pretty confusing when I picked it up.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
Lets not forget The Elseworlds (Superboy's Legion)By Alan Davis and Mark Farmer.

And Jim Shooter's Adult Legion story from Adventure Comics.

And I think there was An Alternate Earth Evil Legion that appeared in Superboy's Comic in the early 60's.

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
If we're listing alternate versions of the Legion, I guess the semiimportant ones that haven't been mentioned yet are the Adult Legion and Superboy's Legion.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

If we're going that far, then add Camelot Legion, Fairy Tale Legion, Legion 1,000,000, Legion 1,001,000, Wildfire's Dead Earth Legion, XS's Dead Earth Legion, each of Doug Nolan's visions, etc., etc.
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, if we're going that road, I suppose I might as well repost that diagram which "confused and frightened" Matt E [Smile]

PS: There was no "XS's [sic] Dead Earth Legion" - Lgs Annual #3 was just the real XS time-travelling, unlike LSH Annual #7's alternate-future Wildfire.

-

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Didn't XS help create a new Legion in that Annual?

Anyway, to my way of thinking a true "reboot" has to be presented as a definite "take" on the team, last beyond a mini-series, and have significant [lasting beyond a single storyline] changes from any previous Legion's recorded history.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.