Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Re-Inserting the LSH into Superman Continuity: A legal ploy? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Re-Inserting the LSH into Superman Continuity: A legal ploy?
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Just wondering if it all might have something to do with the recent legal/ownership issues.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
If so, wouldn't it be a risky one? After all, the Siegel estate is going after Superman too now, or so I've heard. Be a heck of a thing if they ended up with the Legion too.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
A ploy... yes.

A legal ploy... probably not.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not an expert on legal matters. If we had one around, I'd ask him/her if it would have any affect on the case.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walkwithcrowds
Skinny wee Scottish guy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for walkwithcrowds   Email walkwithcrowds         Edit/Delete Post     
Quis?
If that wasn't your cue to step up, then I don't know what is.

--------------------
Be lucky

From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm sorry but this is the wrong thread for legal opinions. If you'd like an opinion from our local barrister, please head over to "Quislet Esq.'s Super Law Office of Space!" [Wink]

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Even there I could not answer this question. I am not familiar with copyright law at all.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Semi?
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Well, I don't pretend to know a thing about law and legalities, but I *am* an expert in kooky, paranoid theories that are so out there they might have some truth in them. So here's some of my thought processes on this matter...

The SUPERMAN of the 60s was so far away from the SUPERMAN of 1939, that they could be considered almost separate entities. A Large part of this might stand on the shoulders of the career as Superboy and the LSH membership being inserted into same.

Now, DC's powers that were saw fit to eliminate both Superboy and the LSH from Superman continuity, bringing the character much closer to and in line with its 1939 roots (well, minus the killing people and stuff).

Years later, DC loses the rights to Superboy and now Superman himself is being eyeballed. What's a comic book company to do?

"Hey! Let's put the LSH continuity back into his backstory and confuse the issue so much that this would drag on for years in court and not be worth the famiy's time and effort! Golly... if only we had never diddled with the backstory in the first place, we would still own the rights to Superboy. We were SO stupid!"

Who knows? Ah, well... as long as the Siegels don't go after Matter-Eater Lad...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm no lawyer, but...

If the precedent stands for Superman and Superboy being two separate properties (which seems impossible to me, but...), then the issue becomes: is any representation of young Superman/Clark Kent a variant of Superman, or Superboy? If the entire supporting cast, Smallville, etc, are all part of the Superboy property, than re-tying LSH to even a young Clark could backfire, it seems to me; DC would not only be defending Superman, trying to reclaim title to Superboy, but also fighting for any spin-off property, including LSH, Steel, Supergirl, etc, beyond the obvious (Lois Lane, Jimmy Olson, etc).

On the other hand, as a legal ploy, the move could be a reaffirmation of how intertwined comics properties are; this would make sense as a ploy if DC thought it had a strong enough case to not only defend Superman, but reclaim Superboy on the basis that seperation would cause a greater harm to both sets of properties (I forget the exact legal term, but I've heard of one that seems to fit this case). In this case, DC could argue that removal of Superboy (and -Man) from its universe would be against the fiduciary interests of both DC and the Estate; DC could be positioning for an offer of greater profit-sharing instead.

Or it could simply be an editorial decision, as when it's not shooting itself in the foot, DC seems to be trying to reach out to its own abandoned history.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
It seems to me that if the Silver Age Superman were different enough from the Golden Age version to be considered a separate entity, then the post-Byrne character would have at least as much claim to be a separate character.

Anyway, the reinsertion of "Silver Age" elements into the post-Crisis Superman. it seems to me, has everything to do with the fact that the particular set of creators in charge these days were those who grew up reading about that version of Superman, and the desire to milk the nostalgia of older fans (who, I take it, are the bulk of super-hero comics buyers).

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
This is just a ridculous lawyers ploy to get rich. And the sad thing about it is: It seems to work.

As far as I know, the Siegel family already did get compensated with a good amount of money - at least more than most of us will see in all their lives - and some hungry lawyers did smell even more money and convinced those poor people to go for the even bigger scale.

I don't like this kind of behavior which you can often find in lawyers, though the money to be made is much smaller in Germany.

Even the Heroclix Legion set I recently bought has a "Young Superman" in it. Isn't that ridiculous???

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Possibly on the subject of Superman legal issues, the site Superman through the Ages (pre-Crisis Superman) has been shut down. Some discussion about it at the DC boards.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

SO.... anyone else heard the rumor that the upcoming DC relaunch is a direct result of the Siegel lawsuit?

--------------------

Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
I haven't read this anywhere? What's the rationale?

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.