Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Before the Legion of Super-Heroes, there was the L.E.G.I.O.N. (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Before the Legion of Super-Heroes, there was the L.E.G.I.O.N.
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
 -

L.E.G.I.O.N.
Base of Operations: The planet Cairn First Appearance: INVASION! #2 (1989)
 -
(left to right: LYDEA MALLOR, GARRYN BEK, CAPTAIN COMET, MARIJ’N, VRIL DOX, LADY QUARK, PHASE, LOBO, STEALTH, TELEPATH; rear: STRATA, GARV)

HISTORY

The Licensed Extra-Governmental Inter-stellar Operatives Network - or L.E.G.I.O.N. - is a vast and powerful peace-keeping squadron that acts as a police force for those worlds that choose to subscribe to its "service." Though it has a relatively small core membership, the L.E.G.I.O.N. employs literally hundreds of operatives from many different worlds, many of whom have paranormal abilities that make them particularly effective on specific missions.
The L.E.G.I.O.N. was organized by Vril Dox II, one of the most brilliant and inventive minds in the galaxy. Dox was one of thousands of aliens taken as prisoners of war by the Alliance, an organization of extraterrestrial races intent on conquering the Earth. Dox, who refused to accept imprisonment in the Alliance's "Starlag," engineered a revolt and, in the ensuing riot, led several fellow prisoners to the docking bay, where they stole a starship and made their getaway.
The Starlag escapees - Garryn Bek, Lyrissa Mallor, Strata, Stealth, and an unnamed Durlan - were anxious to resume their lives. Instead, they were duped by Dox into accompanying him back to his homeworld, Colu. There, Dox enlisted their reluctant aid in overthrowing the computer tyrants that ruled the planet.
Successful in their mission, the escapees decided to remain together as a team rather than let the untrustworthy and megalomaniacal Dox – and his newest ally, a vicious psychopath named Lobo – loose on an unsuspecting galaxy. Next, they accompanied him to Cairn, home to a narcotics network that spanned five star systems. Dox’s plan was to establish and lead a peace-keeping force with a galaxywide reputation for effectiveness; to that end, he manipulated Cairn’s warring druglords into exterminating each other, assassinated the head druglord himself, and thus cleaned up one of the dirtiest planets in the universe. As a result, not only had Dox almost instantly built the reputation he had craved, but the entire police force of Cairn came under his control as well and formed the foundation of Dox’s L.E.G.I.O.N. The team is overseen by an inner circle comprised of the Starlag escapees and is led by Dox.
L.E.G.I.O.N. members routinely leave Cairn to aid the planets under their protection; the L.E.G.I.O.N. has even traveled to Earth in pursuit of Vril Dox’s father, Brainiac. Their most celebrated case, one that added immeasurably to their notoriety, involved Dagan-Ra, a slave trader and interstellar criminal, Dagon-Ra, who could transmute elements at will, quickly proved to be the L.E.G.I.O.N.’s most formidable opponent; working together, however, they defeated him and released his captives, many of whom have joined the L.E.G.I.O.N.’s ranks in gratitude.
The L.E.G.I.O.N. has endured several changes to its core membership since the team was founded. Shortly after Lobo’s arrival, the Durlan was shunted through time to the 30th century by a sorceress named Glorith; he was later to adopt a Terran name, R.J. Brande, and finance the Legion of Super-Heroes. Glorith replaced the Durlan with the 30th century heroine Phantom Girl, who arrived in the 20th century; though suffering from amnesia, she retains her powers and operates under the code name Phase. Lady Quark and Captain Comet, both involved as solo agents in the Dagon-Ra case, also joined the Network subsequent to Ra’s defeat, as did a new hero, Telepath. Shortly thereafter, Lyrissa Mallor was killed, a victim of the Colu Computer Tyrants.

Click for fullsize image Click for fullsize image Click for fullsize image

text: MARK WAID/art: BARRY KITSON/colors: TOM McCRAW

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Great tribute Gary! With Barry as a regular here and L.E.G.I.O.N.'s upcoming appearance in "Adam Strange", the timing is perfect. I really liked this series, but dropped it at some point (I think it was a L.E.G.I.O.N. annual where I first saw Mik McKone) and I'm curious to find out what happened to these characters (well, not Lobo...)
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Barry Kitson was the artist from the beginning, L.E.G.I.O.N. '89 #1 (Feb 1989). He drew the series (with various inkers) through L.E.G.I.O.N. '90 #18. Jim Fern took over through L.E.G.I.O.N. '91 #24, with Barry returning on L.E.G.I.O.N. '91 #25-28, 29-37, 39-43, 46-47, 49-50, 52-55, 57.

Barry is listed as the co-plotter after Giffen left as of L.E.G.I.O.N. '90 #13. He co-plotted until #18, returned for #25-27, 28-39. When Alan Grant left, Barry became the writer with L.E.G.I.O.N. '92 #40-48. L.E.G.I.O.N. '93 #49 brought Mark Waid into the mix. They worked together for the next issue #50 and came back for L.E.G.I.O.N. '93 #52-55, (Waid wrote #56), 57-60.

Although the series lasted until L.E.G.I.O.N. '94 #70 (Sept 94), the remaining issues were by Tom Peyer (writer) and Arnie Jorgensen (penciller), with the only exception being Stephen Jones & Tom Tenney (pencillers) on L.E.G.I.O.N. '94 #62.

The series changed to R.E.B.E.L.S. after Zero Hour.

[ November 03, 2004, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks, Drake!

I did some smilies and added some avatars, as well.

Maybe when Barry returns he can let us in on some behind the scenes tidbits. And I know I'm interested in what may have happened to the characters after R.E.B.E.L.S. '96 #17 (Mar 96).

Nightcrawler
Founder

[Vril Dox] [The Durlan] [Lyrissa Mallor] [Stealth] [Strata] [Garryn Bek] [Lobo]
Nightcrawler
Founder

[Phase] [Lar Gand] [Lady Quark] [Marij N Bek] [Telepath] [Garv] [Captain Comet]
Nightcrawler
Founder

[Lydea Mallor - Darkstar] [A.I.-11 - Darius] [Davroth Catto] [Borb Borbb] [Amon Hakk] [Bertron Diib] [Zena Moonstruk]
Nightcrawler
Founder

[Mr. Starr - The Computer Tyrants of Colu] [Dagon-Ra] [The Ice Man] [Maximilian G Odd] [Ig Nea] [Jiv Reddu] [Lyrl Dox]

[ November 03, 2004, 03:55 AM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
The series reverted to R.E.B.E.L.S. after Zero Hour.

How can it revert to something it never was before? [Razz]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Gary, you know I love this stuff and your graemlins are brilliant as usual. But shouldn't this, or at least a copy, be in the Encyclopedia Galactica?
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

It will be when I get there. I've still got to finish the first Who's Who series. Consider this a sneak peek at how the loose leaf section will look.
Mearl Dox
Likes green

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mearl Dox   Email Mearl Dox         Edit/Delete Post     
Ha ha, L.E.G.I.O.N., the series whose name is kind of a pain to write out. I actually didn't start collecting it until after R.E.B.E.L.S. was over, but I ended up collecting all of L.E.G.I.O.N. and R.E.B.E.L.S. eventually and overall, I liked it a lot. There were slow points and the underlying idea of R.E.B.E.L.S. was pretty sorry, but I usually enjoyed the writing and the art. Even with the problems I had with R.E.B.E.L.S.'s underlying storyline, I thought the dialogue was a lot of fun in it. And L.E.G.I.O.N. did have some really fun points, I especially liked the first two years and later on the business with Ig'nea. I think the series kind of gets a bum rap. I'd be happy to see L.E.G.I.O.N. come back in some form. Or better, I'd like to see a Vril Dox II miniseries. Or better than that, I'd like to see another plotline with Brainy and Vril versus Brainiac like that Showcase story.

Now I've gotten myself all distracted with wonderful thoughts... [Vril Dox]

From: Colu | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
"Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong."

Icon 1 posted      Profile for l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN   Email l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN         Edit/Delete Post     
i loved L.E.G.I.O.N and collected the series right up untill it became R.E.B.E.L.S (what the hell did it stand for any how?) stopped then started again when Dox got DoxIII inteligence reduced to that of an infant and Capt Comet came back to lead the team.
damn i miss that book.

--------------------
Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/

From: Yonkers N.Y | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stargazer
One Monkeys Opinion...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargazer           Edit/Delete Post     
I enjoyed both of those series...I did hear that we might get to see them in the current Adam Strange mini series.

--------------------
Looking for Earth Prime.

From: Conroe Texas | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Stargazer:
I enjoyed both of those series...I did hear that we might get to see them in the current Adam Strange mini series.

#5. On sale in January.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.