Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Twenty Questions about Legion Lost #1 (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Twenty Questions about Legion Lost #1
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
1. Granted I'm old-school enough to balk at Timber Wolf having tracking powers at all, but is it even physically possible to smell DNA?

2. So, it's official, Tyroc no longer needs to yell to activate his powers?

3. If not to set up his eventual miraculous return, what was the purpose of Gates' initial disappearance and "What's wrong with me?" reemergence on the exact spot where the salvage team happened to be?

4. Pretty gruesome seeing Yera cut in two, but don't we have at least one precedent (late Adventure era?) of Cham being able to make with the Arms-Fall-Off Boy routine?

5. Was Yera's reference to an "acting gig at the Time Institute" meant to imply a temporary assignment, or a position in her old vocation? If the latter, for what purpose would the Time Institute need an actress?

6. Why did all the 31st-century tech malfunction *except* the tools used to repair the Time Bubble?

7. Did anyone else think that many word balloons were oddly place, configured or, in some case, pointed at the entirely wrong person?

8. Did anyone else find some of the dialogue (especially right after the crash landing) to be oddly clunky, as people were forced to say unnatural sounding things in order to convey information to the reader? Too bad narrative captions are such a lost art, eh?

9. Why is the name Alastor sticking out like a neon Easter Egg in my mind? Is that the real name of the reject who could make feathers heavy, or the dude with the mind-helmet who brought Hitler et. al. to the 30th century?

10. Is "Flashpoint Breakwall" another way of saying "Iron Curtain of Time?"

11. Granted the Time Bubble must travel through time AND space in order to get to where the Earth was 1,000 years in the past, but any particular reason the Legion would pop out in Minnesota?

12. Is this the first time we've seen a Shikari-like visualization of Dawnstar's powers?

13. How, I wonder, does Tyroc manipulate sound waves in a way that enables him to fly?

14. If Tyroc can channel sound waves for flight like Iron Man's repulser rays, doesn't it stand to reason that he could have knocked Timber Wolf on his ass, if he really wanted to stop him from going off alone?

15. If all that 31st century tech is failing, shouldn't Tellus be flopping around on the ground like a beached flounder? Or did he lose the gills when he grew fingers?

16. Did anyone spot Lori Morning... I mean, the Time Trapper... I mean the hooded girl from Flashpoint #5 that was in all the DCnU Week 1 books?

17. Why is Yera the only person other than Dawnstar to be affected by our dirty air? Having been raised on the radioactive wasteland that is Durla, shouldn't she be less susceptible than, say, Timber Wolf, who's nose is sensitive enough to smell DNA?

18. Speaking of failing 31st-century tech, containment suit anyone?

19. Did they Legionnaires travel through time at all on the attempted return trip?

20. Is this the first time we've seen Tyroc control sound volume?

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
9. You're thinking of Alaktor, who stole a time bubble and recruited Hitler, etc. The names do sound suspiciously close.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
1. Granted I'm old-school enough to balk at Timber Wolf having tracking powers at all, but is it even physically possible to smell DNA?

INSERT SPERM JOKE
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korbal
The Lightning World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korbal   Email Korbal         Edit/Delete Post     
4. Pretty gruesome seeing Yera cut in two, but don't we have at least one precedent (late Adventure era?) of Cham being able to make with the Arms-Fall-Off Boy routine?

ADVENTURE #376 Cham separates a piece of himself to form a foe's battle hammer.
In the threeboot, Brainy rather savagely hacks off Cham's arm after having him mimic a weapon.

How much time has passed between Legion #16 and LL#1? Enough for Tyroc to grow a new head of hair at least.

--------------------
"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63

Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
quote:

INSERT SPERM JOKE
Or here.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I picked this one up, flipped through it and put it back ...

In particular, the reference to 'flashpoint' turned me off since DC has said over and over ad nauseum that there is not going back to the previous continuity, there are no trap doors, no way back, it's an entire reboot .... and then we get a reference to the 'flashpoint wall' in Legion Lost #1.

maybe it's a slightly different 'flashpoint wall' ... maybe I don't care. [Razz]

I flipped through a couple times looking for some story reason to buy it and decided there's a lot else I'd like more, and my loyalty to the Legion was misplaced.

If i hear god buzz I might pick up the trade.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klar Ken T5477
The Future Superman of 2965

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klar Ken T5477   Email Klar Ken T5477         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
If i hear god buzz I might pick up the trade.

So in your theology, the Supreme Being is an insect?

Answers to innumerable questions:

1.Granted I'm old-school enough to balk at Timber Wolf having tracking powers at all, but is it even physically possible to smell DNA?

A: No, it is not possible to smell DNA. It is possible to smell the by-products of the disintegration of unique proteins which a particular configuration of DNA produces.

2. So, it's official, Tyroc no longer needs to yell to activate his powers?

A: Apparently. Oh, was that rhetorical?

6. Why did all the 31st-century tech malfunction *except* the tools used to repair the Time Bubble?
15. If all that 31st century tech is failing, shouldn't Tellus be flopping around on the ground like a beached flounder? Or did he lose the gills when he grew fingers?

A: 31st-century technology has a special fail-safe guarantee: it is designed to fail only in the service of the narrative.
The real question is, where is Tellus going to recharge the 31st-century batteries in his apparatus?

A: No, it’s another way of saying “arbitrary plot device”.

11. Granted the Time Bubble must travel through time AND space in order to get to where the Earth was 1,000 years in the past, but any particular reason the Legion would pop out in Minnesota?

Well, everything has to pop out somewhere. At least it wasn’t at the bottom of the Marianas Trench.

13. How, I wonder, does Tyroc manipulate sound waves in a way that enables him to fly?
14. If Tyroc can channel sound waves for flight like Iron Man's repulser rays, doesn't it stand to reason that he could have knocked Timber Wolf on his ass, if he really wanted to stop him from going off alone?
20. Is this the first time we've seen Tyroc control sound volume?

A:Tyroc’s powers have been completely rewritten. Apparently, he now has the power to generally control sound, and the Magic Shouts are un-history.

16. Did anyone spot Lori Morning... I mean, the Time Trapper... I mean the hooded girl from Flashpoint #5 that was in all the DCnU Week 1 books?

A: I think that’s Barry Allen’s mom, but what do I know: I’m not DC’s editorial staff.

17. Why is Yera the only person other than Dawnstar to be affected by our dirty air? Having been raised on the radioactive wasteland that is Durla, shouldn't she be less susceptible than, say, Timber Wolf, who's nose is sensitive enough to smell DNA?

[i] A: People who visit foreign countries often get ill, usually from some inflammatory disorder of the intestines. The problem is not that the water there is more unclean than at home, but that it contains different toxins and bacteria than they are used to. (For example, Japanese who visit the U.S. are wise to drink only boiled water; Americans who visit Japan are wise to drink only boiled water.) On the other hand, some people are not affected. (For example, when I was in college, I went to Tijuana almost every weekend, ate and drank absolutely deplorable stuff, and never got ill.) Luck of the draw.

--------------------
"So different from the Original Superman of Krypton!"

Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

Yes.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Tanner Issue #One:

A: No, it’s another way of saying “arbitrary plot device”.

[/QB]

And also a way to tie it in with Flashpoint.

BTW Tom, happy belated birthday!

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     

Presumably because they were tracking Alastor and that is where he was. Why he was in Minnesota, I don't know.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
5. Was Yera's reference to an "acting gig at the Time Institute" meant to imply a temporary assignment, or a position in her old vocation? If the latter, for what purpose would the Time Institute need an actress?

Theory - When time travelling, it's best to dress up like / act like the natives of the new time period.

Hiring a professional actress with very specific skills and experience in long-term impersonation to tutor time-travelling researchers in how to convincingly act like residents of post-revolutionary France or Han dynasty China or courtiers in the court of Ptolemy, seems like a sensible idea.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

We could chalk Tellus' breathing apparatus Wildfire's containment suit up to writer's need. It wouldn't be much fun for us to read about two Legionnaires just flopping around/ floating aimlessly.

Alternatively, not all the tech failed outright and these two were lucky enough theirs remained.

Or, some 30th century geniuses modified the tech so they would be as simple as possible?

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

The X-Men's Banshee and Siryn could do that too. As to how, how do any of these powered heroes really fly, anyway?

Re Tyroc repulsor rays, you do have a point. If Tyroc HAD reacted quickly enough, he may have been able to have caught Brin. But they had just recovered from a crash, so maybe Tyroc needed a little time to get his bearings.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Arromdee
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Arromdee   Email Ken Arromdee         Edit/Delete Post     
Um, the reference to an "acting gig at the Time Institute" is probably referring to her introduction as a Violet impostor.
Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bottle City of Kanga
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bottle City of Kanga   Author's Homepage   Email Bottle City of Kanga         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow! Those are good points. Also what did XS's thing in Adventure have anything to do with anything?

--------------------
http://bottlecityofkanga.blogspot.com/

Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.