Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » THE OMEGA MEN (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: THE OMEGA MEN
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
who's on the cover? couldn't find it.

couple more questions...didn't Doc die in the Adam Strange series. or is this a new "doc".

also, why's ryand'r all flaming...that's not how i remember his powers. he was weaker than kory or komand'r.

yay new OMEGA MEN!!

(i thought most of them were dead though)

*very confused*

[ August 22, 2006, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: Disaster Boy ]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Unless someone else beats me to it, I'll post the cover a little later.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I'll beat you to it! [Razz]

Click for fullsize image

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
Lash,

Great job (natch!) recapping the history of the Omega Men. I'll always have fond memories of their original appearances in GL and TT. I bought the very first OM issue of GL in Hawaii! (Came in plastic wrap to prevent mildewing!)

I would have to dig out the big boxes to figure out when I stopped reading, but I think it was before the Spider Guild. The first few issues -- Lobo, Tigorr, Brute, Kalista -- just awesome. And damn violent, too, especially for the early 1980s.

Seems like Vega and its planets have really suffered alot in the intervening years. Did Tamaran get blowed up? (As the 4YO would ask.)

The OM's were way cool in the Adam Strange mini, like just about everything in that book, come to think of it. Andy Diggle, where have you gone?

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Comic Book Resources has a preview for #2:
Omega Men #2

Ok... so Ryand'r has *another* name already?? [Confused]

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:

Maybe the Editors woke up and realized the name belongs to someone else?
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm glad they did not use Wildfire they need to save that name for Drake Burroughs and keep his origin from 1973.

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey Lone Wolf, your post just gave me an idea that has NOTHING to do with the Omega Men. What if a Drake Burroughs FROM 1973 (I think he should be from, say, Newark, or Staten Island) was transported to the Legion's time and became Wildfire? Then we would have a real swingin' sexy 70s character in the Legion!

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:

Maybe the Editors woke up and realized the name belongs to someone else?
Yep looks like that's what happened. In the production copy of issue one he is called Darkfire.

The story took a little getting into. I had to read it twice to figure it out. The art was okay but its a different vision of DCU space. After having Ferry, Reis and Shane Davis on the past few DC Space projects the gritty look of this series takes some getting used to.

Vril Dox is in fine form. He looks more like he did in his old series than he has in recent appearances, but is portratyed leading LEGION robot troopers as he did in Adam Strange and R/T War.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliconDream
I'd rather not be

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiliconDream   Email SiliconDream         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, a far better Dox in look, personality and dialogue than was in the Adam Strange mini. But why's that damn all-robot L.E.G.I.O.N. still around? And why, given pretty much all of Dox's previous interactions with Earth heroes, would Superman etc. (as seen in the preview) assist that army in a police action on Earth without hesitation? I guess John Stewart could be vouching for him, but it's still weird.
From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insomniac Girl
Super-Space-Ditz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insomniac Girl   Email Insomniac Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
I let myself be lured in by the promise of Dox (and potential appearances of other L-dot members, but - natch), but can't say I'm all that impressed yet. For one, the rough, confusingly detailed art style, the radioactive colouring - just not my thing.

On top of that, it seems you really have to know your DC Comics to follow the plot. Spider Guild? Amazons (or Zamarons)? Blue Space nuns in the Philippines? I don't even know what is new to the title and what is established DCverse (after all, the Guardians seem to be romping around in there as well).

Then there's the hints of things to come - people feeling as if they have met before and so on - which are certainly meant to keep the reader in suspense, but which only serve to annoy even more in a title which already has such obscure story-telling that it's hard to make out what is going on.

Anyway, I liked Andersen Gabrych's work on Batgirl, so I'll give the Omega Men another chance. I just wish the way Tigorr is drawn wouldn't give him such a horrible resemblance to Hulk Hogan.

Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
The belief in the Goddess? Is this a new Goddess?

Anyways the Spider-Guild is not new. They tangled with the GL Corps a few times I think.

Blue space nuns in the Phillipines protected by an under cover Zamaaron? I like it. Zamarons work for the Guardians of the Universe. I love obscure cosmic/mystical mumbo jumbo. It was a tad scattered...or hard to follow? Don't know but I know what you mean IG.

The Omega Men can use some cooler characters. Tigorr and Starfire's brother are cool but the robot? eh. The rock guy? He's no Blok.

The got my interest.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insomniac Girl
Super-Space-Ditz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insomniac Girl   Email Insomniac Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for clearing up some of my confusion about the protagonists, Ultra Jorge (and if only I had read the thread from the beginning, I wouldn't have been confused about the Spider Guild, at least. Ashes on my head.)

I think right now I actually like the robot Doc best, he seems to be a bit of a smart aleck and provides sight gags like hanging upside down or having question marks in his monitors when he doesn't know something. I think that sentinent energy cloud is an interesting concept, as well, even if it probably won't be possible to make something like it terribly likeable.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I read 1 & 2; I did like that the deceased members were acknowledged but the jury is still WAY out.

I do, however, like the weird art (but I usually do like weird art).

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insomniac Girl
Super-Space-Ditz

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
I read 1 & 2; I did like that the deceased members were acknowledged but the jury is still WAY out.

Ditto. I welcome them stopping with the purposely cryptic storytelling and explaining what is going on by issue two, though. Art's growing on me.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.