Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » LSH #11 (preview/spoilers) (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: LSH #11 (preview/spoilers)
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
So, reading it and re-reading it, I've noticed the following;

So far, if anyone's rioting or a prisoner or whatever, they are automatically aliens, and if anyone is working as a security officer, prison guard or SP, they've been human. Those two SP officers in Kyoto, the reptile dude and the Ultraman-looking dude, make for a nice contrast. (Plus the Ultraman-looking dude was just funny.) It seems that Earth is recovering pretty fast from the xenophobia thing, if they've already got alien SPs again...

Fume and Frost intrigue me. (Fume more so, because she's more 'original' than 'some dude from Tharr.')

Vi spitting on Micro Lad's corpse was a bit outrageous, but it's totally understandable.

And, in a moment of shocking hyprocrisy from me, I wish Violet's costume didn't have sleeves. Yes, yes, I want everyone else to wear sleeves, but long sleeves on a girl wearing a miniskirt is just weird looking to my eye... [Smile]

Nice to see some mention of Thom's condition being imposed by the suit or something, and not a pre-existing 'always been crazy' thing. Sort of retcons the retcon, but since I didn't like the retcon, that's cool with me. Also interesting to see that the wormhole generating gravity control stuff is suit-related, and not a lasting retcon to Star Boy's original mass-inducing powers. Looks like Paul is getting rid of both the 'always a schizophrenic' and 'gravity control powers' changes made when Thom was bought over to the 21st century.

Both the SPs and Timber Wolf refer to Sun-Killer as 'Kodama-san.' That's a bit odd, since it's traditionally something one says *to* a friend, not *about* someone (who isn't even a friend, anyway). Eh, I guess 1000 years of linguistic drift could have changed that. Or perhaps 'Kodama-san' is his name, because he was a host for a children's show before he became a super-villain, like Mister Rogers? Perhaps Sun Emperor *really meant it* when he called Kodama a 'clown,' because he's a children's entertainer!

"On the next episode of 'Oh no! Kodama-San!' Kodama-San devours a sun and takes up a life of super-villainy! Call in on our special Kodama-Phone and try to talk him out of it, kids! Cr3.99 a minute, get your parents permission first."

The Sun Emperor vs. Wolverine fight was not great. Oh sure, it was a neat fight, but we know that Sun Emperor can incinerate a person with a touch, and Timber Wolf isn't invulnerable. He should have used his power of super-acrobatics to avoid the fire blasts of Sun Emperor, and then done something clever like fling some debris at him with his incredible strength and speed, since, even if it melts before it hits him, it's still gonna weigh a half-ton and smash the fiery fool.

Too much Wolverine there, not enough Timber Wolf. He should fight more like Spider-Man, since he's strong and fast, but not invulnerable or capable of healing wounds as fast as they appear (or regrowing chest hair from flames strong enough to burn off his 31st century shirt...).

Several scenes felt 'meta,' as if the author was directly addressing the reader. The calling out of Drake as sexist, and him being defensive about it, Mon-El staring at the reader saying 'I didn't ask for this job,' Brainy explaining how much he loves his annoying teammates to Nura and telling her to stop sniffling. Scenes like that just ring terribly false to me (and, in the last case, kind of annoying).

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe it's a generational thing, but I love it when characters break the fourth wall. I find it hilarious when characters are making fun of themselves.

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmeraldEmperor
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmperor           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:

Both the SPs and Timber Wolf refer to Sun-Killer as 'Kodama-san.' That's a bit odd, since it's traditionally something one says *to* a friend, not *about* someone (who isn't even a friend, anyway). Eh, I guess 1000 years of linguistic drift could have changed that. Or perhaps 'Kodama-san' is his name, because he was a host for a children's show before he became a super-villain, like Mister Rogers? Perhaps Sun Emperor *really meant it* when he called Kodama a 'clown,' because he's a children's entertainer!

"On the next episode of 'Oh no! Kodama-San!' Kodama-San devours a sun and takes up a life of super-villainy! Call in on our special Kodama-Phone and try to talk him out of it, kids! Cr3.99 a minute, get your parents permission first."

Actually, 'san' is used whenever you speak of or to someone, whether they are your friend or not. I lived in Japan for 5 years, and even when Japanese speak of someone they always refer to them with 'san' whether they are present or not. To not do so is a big no-no and shows much disrespect. I haven't read this issue yet, but it sounds like Levitz used it correctly.

However, Sun-Killer would never refer to himself as Kodomo san like he did in his first appearance in Advneture. That isn't done.

From: Southern Oklahoma | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Good to know! I'd been told, many years ago, that it was presumptuous and rude to call someone '-san' when they weren't specifically present, or your friend.

Obviously, I misunderstood the advice (or that advice was hideously out-of-date, which, since the guy was a WW2-era Japanese man, who'd lived in the US for the last forty years, is entirely possible)!

Still, the idea that Kodama was a former children's entertainment show host is amusing anyway. [Smile]

EmeraldEmperor
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmperor           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
Good to know! I'd been told, many years ago, that it was presumptuous and rude to call someone '-san' when they weren't specifically present, or your friend.

Obviously, I misunderstood the advice (or that advice was hideously out-of-date, which, since the guy was a WW2-era Japanese man, who'd lived in the US for the last forty years, is entirely possible)!

Still, the idea that Kodama was a former children's entertainment show host is amusing anyway. [Smile]

Very true lol! And I wasn't trying to be nit picky about your post! It was very insightful and well-written.
From: Southern Oklahoma | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

Naw, it was good to know. I wouldn't want to end up accidentally offending someone with bad info like that!
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
The transuit idea occurred to me too, but since Brin's costume was burned off, apparently he wasn't using it or it wasn't effective. Would it melt to his skin? Or is it more of a force shield?

It could be that Brin's transuit lasted just long enough for him to defeat Sun Emperor.

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Vi spitting on Micro Lad's corpse was shocking & undignified... I loved it!
Poor Lalo's dead body didn't even get an info box-another dis!
For a ruthless villian with ice powers, Frost is one hot daddy.
Cosmic Boy & Lightning Lass's costumes were colored differently in different panels, so Hi-Fi is still on my shit-list, even though Dream Girl's hair was finally colored correctly.
Brainy's little speech to Nura about choosing to live with "you...idiots" seems to be Paul's way of addressing complaints about Querl being portrayed so cold & mean lately, but it still managed to sound snide & insulting.
Poor Colossal Boy continues to be an inept, bumbling idiot, as he has been since issue 1.
The Timber Wolf/Sun Emperor battle was completely silly, but I loved every panel of it!
I wish Brin had emerged with a crew-cut though.
Boy, that Harmonia Li just pops in wherever she wants, it seems. Can't wait to learn who she actually is.
Daniel HDR did a fine job filling-in, but what kind of name is HDR??

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

quote:
Originally posted by lil'rhino:
Boy, that Harmonia Li just pops in wherever she wants, it seems.

Yeah, Legion HQ has like, no security, *at all.*

"Oh hi, I let myself in. I also picked up this complimentary Legion Flight Ring that was on Shadow Lass's night stand, while I was snooping around in people's rooms."

"Did you notice that I'm not Asian any more? I call it the 'reverse Jim Lee.'"

Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
lol!

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

Looking at it again, I think Timber Wolf's new costume looks better when it's on fire.

"You know what's a good look for you? On fire!"

Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by googoomuck:
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
The transuit idea occurred to me too, but since Brin's costume was burned off, apparently he wasn't using it or it wasn't effective. Would it melt to his skin? Or is it more of a force shield?

It could be that Brin's transuit lasted just long enough for him to defeat Sun Emperor.
#WINNER!
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
I finally noticed that the SP officer in Japan looks like Godzilla!!
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

quote:
Originally posted by lil'rhino:
I finally noticed that the SP officer in Japan looks like Godzilla!!

Oh, wow, you're right! And that makes the other SP looking like Ultraman even funnier!
EmeraldEmpress
Beautiful & Merciless

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmpress   Email EmeraldEmpress         Edit/Delete Post     
And I see Gamera too..before the batlle of Timber Wolf with Sun Emperor (in page 12)
All my stars from kaiju-eiga Godzilla, Gamera and Ultraman.
Who is the next...Rodan, Mothra or King Ghidorah?

--------------------
From Spain with glamour.

From: Valencia- Spain | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.