Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Television Trouble Finder » I have NEVER been so scared. (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I have NEVER been so scared.
walkwithcrowds
Skinny wee Scottish guy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for walkwithcrowds   Email walkwithcrowds         Edit/Delete Post     
I just had the worst night of my life.

My little nephew, Jay, who is nine has gone missing.

It's okay. They have found him and he is fine, just a little shaken up.

I work in Asda. It's a British supermarket chain owned by Wal Mart. Tonight, at about seven, my sister in law came into the store, in a panic. She was out with my two young nephews, Jay (nine) and Zac (seven). She was at the retail park wich is about five minutes along the road from the mall were I work. The boys had been acting up and she told them off and the oldest one went into a mood and ran off. She lost him in the crowd and she spent the next twenty minutes trying to find him; before deciding to come along to Asda, to see if he had turned up here, trying to find me. He hadn't. She had the youngest boy by the hand and was, obviously, not letting him go.

I told her not to panic and I was about to contact the mall security, to check the cameras when she ran off.

I was going to go after her but I lost her in the crowds and so decided to contact security, figuring that would do more good than me running around outside in a panic.

They checked all the cameras but couldn't see him. My desription wasn't very much help. as I didn't even know what he was wearing. I could only say he was a small, skinny, blonde haired boy, about four feet tall.

By this time it was about eight o'clock and starting to get dark.

I have my sister in laws (Amanda) number on my mobile, but I had left it at home, so I couldn't even phone her. My brother is in hospital and my Dad and my sister were up visiting him so I couldn't contact them.(you have to switch off your mobile in hospital)

I had to phone home and ask my mum if she had heard from Amanda. She wanted to know why and I was too stressed out to think of an excuse (to stop her worrying) so I told her about Jay and she started panicking and crying.

The area I work is in quite a bad neighbourhood, full of junkies and gangs. All I could think about was the little girl Madeline McGann, who has gone missing.

I asked my mum to phone me at work as soon as she heard anything. I decided to stay there in case Jay did try to make his way there to find me.

I have never been more frightened in my life. I kept imagining all the worst case scenarios. There is a busy main road separating the retail park from the mall. What if he had got scared and tried to cross it and been run over? What if some pervert had got a hold of him? What if a gang of bigger boys had chased him and hurt him?

It wasn't untill quarter to nine, that my dad phoned and told me they had found him.
There is a McDonalds between the retail park and the mall and the security guards had spotted him as he was passing by. He was on the way to Asda to find "his uncle John".

I nearly started crying I was so relieved.
His mum has him now and she doesn't know whether to hug him or hang him. He is fine but a bit shaken. The rest of us are complete wrecks.

He is in bed now - there is school tomorrow - so I will phone tomorrow morning, before he goes to school, to see how he is and tell him I love him - and that if he ever gives us a fright like that again I will throttle him.

I am still shaking thinking about it.

I don't have kids of my own so the boys get all my love but I never knew I could be so scared for another person. I am just SO happy he is all right.

On a lighter note...

I have been having dizzy spells the last few days and FINALLY got my doctors appointment this morning. It urns out I have an inner ear infection (acute labrynthitus - I think he called it) which is affecting my balance. So I have got a sickline from work. I am a forklift driver, so that is a DEFINITE no go.

He has proscribed tablets for it but when I asked him how long it will take to clear up, he said:
"How long is a piece of string? It could take six days, it could take six weeks."
Apart from the fact I can't afford to take six weeks off work, this is really quite fun.

I feel like I am drunk. With the added bonus of I won't have any hangovers. It is really quite a pleasant experience. If I close my eyes, I can feel myself swaying slightly. I could get to like a few days like this...

--------------------
Be lucky

From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Best wishes for better days ahead, John. [Hug]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
What a nightmare. I'm glad he's all right.

I'd say get well, but you don't seem to want to. LOL

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Kids can disappear in a flash; it's amazing there aren't more tragedies. What a relief that Jay turned up okay. Was he anywhere near as scared as you were?

Hope your ear infection clears up quickly. Maybe the dizziness is more pleasant now that you know it's nothing serious! A few days off work is all right...

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walkwithcrowds
Skinny wee Scottish guy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for walkwithcrowds   Email walkwithcrowds         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks guys.

I phoned his mum this morning. He is confined to his room and his playstation has been taken away...so he is not too happy.

His mum is just relieved he is okay but now the panic has worn off she is VERY pissed off at him.

He was a little shaken but, you know what wee guys are like, he's trying to make out he was all cool about it.

Cramer, you are right. The dizziness is actually quite fun, now that I know there is nothing serious to worry about.

Oh yeah. Today is Saturday, so it's NOT a school day. I was just too rattled last night to think about that.

--------------------
Be lucky

From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So glad to hear that he was found and everything is okay WWC. What a scary thing! [Hug]
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by walkwithcrowds:
His mum is just relieved he is okay but now the panic has worn off she is VERY pissed off at him.

And rightly so. I would've had my @$$ beat if I'd done that.

quote:
He was a little shaken but...
He's lucky he's not ALOT shaken... he's old enough you wouldn't have to worry about "Shaken Baby" Syndrome... (not that I'm advocating abuse of any sort... just saying... [Wink] )

[sigh] His Mom's handling it right, and handling it well considering. Enjoy your "Dizzies", WWC! [Hug]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by walkwithcrowds:
Thanks guys.

I phoned his mum this morning. He is confined to his room and his playstation has been taken away...so he is not too happy.

Well hopefully it scared him enough that he'll know enough never to do that again. But at least everything turned up okay and hopefully everyone learned something.
From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Good post. My blood pressure just went up reading it. I felt your panic!!!

Glad everything is ok. I've lost my daughter a few times for about 3 seconds and it's the worst 3 seconds of my life.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
WWC,

I am glad that everything worked out. To give Jay a little credit, he didn't just run off, but did end up heading towards you. Exactly how long was he missing?

And I hope your ear infection clears up before the six weeks but only until you want to go back to work.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Glad to hear he's all right. I sure hope that taught him not to do it again, at least until his age is in double digits. And even then it can be pretty scary.

And glad to hear you're enjoying the dizziness [Razz]

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Good lord that scared the bejeebus out of me!

I've had that happen years ago when I was in charge of my two youngest cousins. I was in college and they were about 5 & 6. I was never so frightened in my entire life!

Very glad everything turned out okay with Jay. [Smile]

Don't enjoy your dizzyness TOO much WWC! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walkwithcrowds
Skinny wee Scottish guy

I've been sitting about the house for a day and I'm going crazy.
I've read a new book (The Da-Da-De-Da-Da Code, by Robert Rankin and I would definately recommend it to anyone who enjoys a laugh).
I've watched some TV (The Punisher was on last night - I thought it was okay, a bit off fun) and I've been taking my medicine.

I feel fine, I think I'm better, there is no need for me to sit around here like an invalid. So I decided to go to the shops to get bread and then go for a walk round the park. I live right above a corner shop. I went down four flights of stairs and nearly threw up I was so dizzy.

I hate, HATE, HATE!!!! being ill and I hate feeling weak. I'm by no means an athletic person. I don't play sports or anything but I am fairly active, I live right across from a beautiful public park and I like to go and feed the ducks and have a walk. Basically, I'm someone who can usually take the stairs easily. I'm just not used to feeling like this.

So now I am sitting in front of the computer. I still feel drunk but it's not as much fun.
The book I read featured the blues guitarist Robert Johnson quite heavily so I think I'll look up stuff about him.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm just in the mood for a moan. It's only been two days but I'm a REALLY impatient patient.

--------------------
Be lucky

Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by walkwithducks:
I like to go and feed the ducks and have a walk.

[Big Grin] There's a Truman the duck avatar you can use, Mr. walkwithducks... [LOL]

Seriously, I hope you get over this soon. [Frown] Maybe you just tried to do too much, too soon?

Feel better! [Hug]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Glad things turned out OK with Jay.

Robert Johnson certainly had an interesting life. Made some great blues music along the way, too. There's a set of his complete recordings that I don't think would set you back too far if you were interested. Good stuff.

Hope you get better soon.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.