Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Legion 35C (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Legion 35C
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
Thank you Vee and Dean for your kind words. As this is the first really creative thing I've ever done (except my accounts, har har) I'm very appreciative of your support.

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
Dak Sacchev was not happy.

His lack of humour was almost legendary, the Starhaven Freetraders had been calling him "Grumpy Blue Man" to his face for over a century, not that he minded that as the Freetraders were the most honourable people he had ever met. They could call him anything they wanted, he would love them anyway.

At this precise moment the reason for his ill humour was stepping up to a Valenian Transport Shuttle Drone with the Princess, away to Talok Viii as a scout for Das. Triple Wolf probably realised that Sacchev would have happily stood on his head at that precise moment and opened a minor black hole in his guts just to join the Princess in his stead. Certainly T-Wolf Red would be rubbing his hands with glee at the thought of travelling alongside the Tamaran living goddess. Sacchev, an experienced military campaigner, knew better than to query Das's choice of mission partners. He trusted him with the logistics of running this organisation.

The rest of the team, Das, Sister Paragon, the Kenroshi Avatar, Mega and Commander Cruiser would be leaving for the service for Penga-La then heading towards the H'tridki Hive Worlds as Das was sure there would be a new member join them there. A member who would be vital in the plan to challenge and repel the Grand Invaders.

When the group were not in psych sessions getting ready for the coming battles, training in the gymnasium, eating or sleeping, Das saw to it that they had about ten minutes spare each day. Sacchev was pleasantly surprised to find out that Commander Cruiser shared his love for being in Deep Space and the two would explore the regions around their station whenever they had anytime to spare. Sacchev was even more pleased as he grew to understand that the Daxamite commander was also a seasoned military man and shared his dislike of small talk and unnecessary chat.

Being constantly surrounded by a flock of Eyespys the group had soon learned a new game of misdirectinng the viewers. While Sacchev, Commander Cruiser and the Kenroshi Avatar would head out into deep space in a bid to lose their intrusive tails, Sister Paragon and Das took an almost infantile pleasure of appearing to look like they were discussing some important matter or another when in fact the bulk of their conversation took place along the telepathway. Das would not allow any of the Eyespys to ever overhear any of his plans. the Telepathway implants soon became as second nature to the team members, even the Red Cargggite Wolf learned to use this way to communicate quickly. The Twelve World Web had several gambling zones start up purely to accomodate the interest in what the group could potentially do next.

For about the twentieth time that day Sacchev thought about how he had been to enough Life Recognition Services that maybe he should ask to join the Princess.....

The Valenian Drone shimmered as it powered up and in a streak of blue it was gone from the station. Sacchev turned to the remaining members and heard Mega say to no-one in particular:

"I've heard about how beautiful the singing crystals are on Penga-La's homeworld but I never thought I'd hear them"

Das smiled but looked away.

Oddly it was The Kenroshi ambassador, who had assumed the title of Avatar, who replied on the telepathway frequency, her voice sounding surprisingly childlike:

"my race has a Seedling Star within a parsec of Penga-la's world, my people often listen to the space truths that the Omnix Crystals sing"

Mega turned her head up to the floating being and replied politely "what sun is that?"

The Avatars singsong voice said "Dreahhgart"

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonnie
mere mortal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonnie   Email Sonnie         Edit/Delete Post     
loving your work 'Binger. Especially like your touches of technology like the telepathway , I'm surprised that it's not been used before as it makes perfect sense.

Keep 'em coming!

From: home sweet home... unless i'm posting from work | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Glorion Grundy sat cross legged, perfectly in tune with his surrounds, his back straight, his left hand clutching his Scarab of Rememberance.

He'd stopped wasting his precious manna supply on his lighting talisman when he'd realised that the darkness in the cave went deeper than the normal absence of light, it seemed to drain the very light from the environment. He now knew why, it was the legendary Dark Field! He could hear and smell anyone nearby as well as the next great ape so he simply closed his eyes and allowed his other senses to guide him for now.

Although the figure in the gem seemed unable to make a sound Glorion was certain that she was Eljasa Mallor, the last of the Shadow Clan Protectors. Why else would anyone have trapped her inside this giant Gem of Entrapment? Glorion doubted if he had the strength to break the curse that held it together but he had an idea....

" wake up Beetle in my belly, tell me true whatever I ask from you "

He could feel the blue scarab that he'd eaten in curiosity all those years ago start to awaken within him.

" Wake up little Beetle, Glorion has need of your eyes "

" oh let me sleep fatty, you don't need my sight to see you're outclassed by this stone, a Grand Wizard cast this spell and only a Grand Wizard can break it... and you, my fat hairy host aint no Grand Wizard "

"Well that answers that" Glorion thought.

In each generatiopn there were perhaps a dozen Mages with that much ability. The NowYouSeeMeNowYouDon't Scarab that Glorion had eaten as a baby had never lied to him, not that it always helped him too of course.

Glorion knew that no matter how powerful the Mage who had cast the original spell they were no longer within this sphere of existece, the resonations were too faded to mean anything else.

No, Glorion was not a Grand Wizard, but he was a fairly talented Information Adept and when he set his mind to it very little could remain hidden for long.

[ September 10, 2003, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

Private Journal, Keed Luorssen, Triple Wolf (prime) B'lindasmonth 3 3498

I thought Red would freckin' BURST when he heard we were going on a mission with the Princess. I really did think that he'd take a Caritchin' stroke there and then and I'd be bletchin' Double Wolf or some such by nightfall. His libido finally being the death of him.

He smiled that 'eat shit' smile and with that sauntered off muttering about missing a real party... Blue was in the docking Bay even then checking out the shuttle that we were being assigned. He has always been happiest tinkering with his techno toys. It wasn't until later that Blue told me that Dak Sacchev had taken him aside thinking he was the unified us and gave him a stark warning about how fond he had grown of the Princess and he really didn't like murdering Planetary Heroes, unless they really disappointed him, then of course he felt that he had no choice.

Blue understood better that the Blackstar knew.

Two hours later and we have boarded the shuttle, been given our co-ordinates by the 'Stroid Dox 4 Shield AI Major residence FarPlotting A I. In the blue glow of the Valenian drive Dak Sacchev's face tightened. Freckin' frightening!!

The Princess was looking around the Shuttle with the enthusiasm of a tourist in Trixytown on Rimbor. She casually explained that the Tamaran Wanderng Star Culture had never taken to the Valenian Drive as they soon found out it could have a side effect on the males, a rather embarrassing side effect she said with a slightly raised eye brow, and I swear there was the start of a real smile on her face.

With that permenent aura and that gorj golden skin it's hard (yeah, that too!) to not pay attention to her.

As she really seemed quite interested I told her what I knew about the history of the drive. She laughed in agreement when I said I always thought that being a Bletchin' Monk would be the biggest waste of freckin' time that anyone could spend their life doing but I had to give it to the Trom Buddhists on Marytom Valley for the creation of the Valenian Drive though, maybe between being repressed Shegabbo's they actually did something of worth. They had given their discovery of Valenian Realities freely to the Galaxy. It had given the galaxy to mankind. It was to Hyperspace what Hyperspace was to Light Speed. To walking. To remaining stock bletchin' still.

And the biggest benefit of it was that the time spent within the capsule had no knock on effect outside of Valenian Space. Effectively one could live for freckin' ever without aging a second.

Of course things couldn't really be that good.

--------------------

Abin Quank
Except when I'm someone else...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abin Quank           Edit/Delete Post     
You Go Girl! Keep'em coming!
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...

From: Westerly Rhode Island | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Private Jouornal Keed Luorssen, Triple Wolf (Prime) B'lindasmonth 3 3498

When the Grand Invaders first struck they simply popped into existence, extinguished a sun and returned to their own realiities.

With the panic their sudden appearance, awesome power and bloody destructive capabilities, and freckin' determination to kill as many of our Beings as they could, well You know, it put the balitchin' shitters up the whole UP. The Old AP offered its help in tracking and retaliating against them. They didn't have long to wait until they got a kicking too as within 6 months the Invaders'd effectively smashed fully one third of UP systems and as much as a quarter of the AP's affiliated worlds into submission. In under a year nearly three hundred worlds were closed to us. Although the Higher Council of the UP had known where the Invaders had came from they hadn't made it general knowledge initially, yeah, can you believe the Freckin' bastards knew full well what was happenin'.

The Valenian Realities that the Valenian Drive literally ripped through wasn't empty of life at that point. Though it would be by the end of that decade. So within ten years we'd shredded an entire existence for the sake of a quick journey. Is it any wonder they were pissed with us?

Of course the Princess knew all this as I explained it to her but there's something about her that you just want to talk to her, get her recognition y'know? Even pessimistic Blue had joined in and you know what he's like with women, no mister chatterbox is he! Red looked like a little boy in front of her, well she was a head taller but not just that, his demeaner changed, became respectful though he claimed later that Tamaran women are inpenetrable so he doesn't look at her in that way. Blue is still laughing at that one!

She had a thoughtful look as she asked why we still used such an awful device. Blue rushed to explain that the Valenian Drive very quickly
fell out of favour until a Brainiac programme had deduced how to shield the drive in such a way that it no longer ravaged as it travelled. There were very strict guidelines set up on their use, a total bledgin' recall of all Valenian Drives. Not many argued as I think they were all scared that the Grand Invaders would strike at them....

The conversation kind of fell away then though I was desperate for her to talk to me...

I asked her what the 21st Century was like. Really! I couldn't think of anything else to ask, can you imagine! She gave me a grin that still warms me and explained how she was brought up on a barren world run by Okaaran Warlords, her own father was unaware that she had been born as he had been taken by Gordanian Slavers and when he returned he'd transcended into his God form of Auron. She had a bitter sweet smile as she explaioned her relationship with her father. Her mother was still alive of course and spent most of her time with the young Princess on Okaara. I think she enjoyed her childhood but before I could ask any more the TellAll alerted us to a giant wake front passing us by in the Valenian Plane. Quickly running through the Coordination Protocols it became clear what was happening.

"Freck shit damnation the blatchin' Invaders are gonna stike in UP space"

The Princess, surprisingly quick with the AI's information display had called up the location of their most probable entry point into the Einsteinian Universe.

Somehow we weren't surprised.

Dreahhgart,the home of the Kenroshi.

[ September 12, 2003, 02:41 AM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by New Kid:
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Thank you again Kid, I have seven more installments written out and ready to add here, they will arrive here over the weekend at some point. Thngs will get interesting as Twolf and the Princess arrive on Talok Viii unaware of what the rest of the team is dealing with... Though the term "OH FUCK IT'S A MASSACRE" does kind of tell you what to expect.
[Wink]
Now shouldn't you be sorting out that Ron-Karr fellow in your story? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

Voluni Two was not a very pretty world, in fact from his stand point in the upper atmosphere Commander Cruiser thought it looked much like a Braalian latrine.

Das had insisted that the group attend this Life Recognition Service for Penga-La, yet then as they approached the system he'd casually added that not everyone need be in attendance planetside .

Das had left the Commander, Blackstar and the Kenroshi Avatar on board the ship in an atmospheric loop pattern. The Commander was not impressed with Das's people skills and not for the first time he wondered why the Daxam World Alliance had sent him to join with this rag tag group of nearly usefuls. The Amazonian Warrior and the Imskian Leviathon had both smiled at him as they stepped into the shuttle with Das. At least Mega's smile looked genuine he thought.

With the exception of Dak Sacchev Commander Cruiser seriously doubted the effectiveness of this group.

Sacchev was the exception to the rules the Commander ruefully acknowledged. That walking talking black hole was the exception to ALL rules, a rogue force of nature. he would be terrified of Sacchev if only the Commander didn't find the man so incredibly fascinating... Sacchev had lived through all the major events of the last two centuries, he'd even tried to repel the Grand Invaders when they had first struck, rallying the Starhaven Freetraders of the Rimbor Oort cloud colonies into a fairly effective fighting force. The UP had commanded he desist. After that slap to his public profile he'd vanished from the public spotlight, rumours flying left, right and centre about where he had gone.

And at present Sacchev and the Kenroshi Ambassador were floating just above the outer range of the atmosphere enjoying this quiet moment in the cold embrace of near space. The Commander was honest enough to admit he was slightly jealous of them, but he was too highly trained to leave his post, even though he could react to things in literally the blink of a eye.

Commander Cruiser looked up quickly as the red flicking alarm light buzzed into life from his communication pin.

The Daxamite race has potentially the fastest reaction time of any of the humanoid races, their speed being proportionate to the amount of stellar radiation they have absorbed, and the Commander had basked under a Y class Star Lamp for several hours this morning. He was still not nearly as quick as Dak Sacchev.

"Alert! Invaders in proximity!!" Sacchev's telepathic voice was every bit as demanding of attention as his physical presence. One did not question this mans say-so easily.

The Kenroshi had vanished from orbit and in the thousandth of a second it took the Commander to realise it he understood where the Avatar was heading, with an angry Blackstar on her tail.

Kord Das's telepathway opened up to the Commander "Follow Sacchev and the Ambassador, I have no doubts that the three of you can handle any problems that arise" and his thoughts were gone from the tall Daxamites head.

Well, Commander Cruiser rarely needed to be told twice to jump into action.

[ September 12, 2003, 03:19 AM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------

Abin Quank
Except when I'm someone else...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abin Quank           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Harbinger:
quote:
Originally posted by New Kid:
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Thank you again Kid, I have seven more installments written out and ready to add here, they will arrive here over the weekend at some point. Thngs will get interesting as Twolf and the Princess arrive on Talok Viii unaware of what the rest of the team is dealing with... Though the term "OH FUCK IT'S A MASSACRE" does kind of tell you what to expect.
[Wink]
Now shouldn't you be sorting out that Ron-Karr fellow in your story? [Big Grin]

I've been looking for him. I think the little Nasshead slid under the door and took off for a night on the town. [Razz]

--------------------
Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...

From: Westerly Rhode Island | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

As the Shuttle spun out of the other realities the Princess left the airlock, assuming her ultraviolet energy form she dove into the planetary gravity well and scouted the gold and pale grey world.

Talok was the last of the old UPs systems taken over by the Grand Invaders. As the tribesfolk had had, within living memory, survived the Black Shazam Gangs cruel reign the Invaders did not find it quite as easy as previous worlds despite the UP leaving the planet with only a skeletal Defence System.The Invaders had only exhibitted one modus operandi after their initial destructive entry to the einsteinian universe. They neutralised the planetary population by carpet bombing the local life into little more than fertiliser then they stripped the planets of seemingly random minerals and elements and then left the system to die. From Thaar they had stripped the Sulphur yet left the large deposits of Titanium and Deutronium. From Elsforth they drained the planets small Nitrogen oceans dry. From Nordholm they ripped the Silver ore from the planetary mantle. On Talok Viii they went after the deposits of pure Chlorine found in the Southern Reaches.

The Tribesmen of Talok Viii retreated to their ancestral caves and waited for the atmospheric firepower show, then with a skill born of too many desperate generations of civil war and enslavement they attacked the robot probes that the Invaders sent. In the eight years since their first apocolyptic appearance the Invaders were halted in their attack. There was no need for them to retreat though as the Talokean systems planetary defence grid was destroyed beyond any hope within the first thirty minutes of the invasion.

If the caves that the many tribesfolk had hidden in not been traditionally reinforced during the centuries of sporadic in fighting and civil uprising there would have been no hope for the them as the Invaders alternatively bombed and poisoned the planet surface and sent hunter phagues to try to kill the last of the Talokean People.

When the timespun Tamaran Princess arrived on Talok Viii's battered surface she couldn't find any sign that there were any Invaders left anywhere on the planet. She quickly shared this news with the Triple Wolf over the telepathway. She wasn't really surprised that he wasn't too upset by the news that they wouldn't be fighting them today, though they both knew where the Invaders were headed. The Invaders, it seemed had left Talok, and who knew where else, to attack the system next to where their team mates would be at this moment mourning a fallen friend.

With the Invaders skill at twisting Valenian space there would be little use in trying to warn their comrades, as by now they would either know of the attack or be dead.

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

T-Wolf had landed the Shuttle, cloaked it and left it primed for an emergency lift off - just in case! The desert sands had the days heat still within them and he stopped to sniff the air in the hope of scenting a trace of life.

Triplicating, Blue immediately started a perimeter search, Red quietly said a child's nursey rhyme to himself and walked in the direction of nearby cliffs where it had left him pointing, White contacted the Princess.

"There's no sign of life here, the sensors couldn't even find a bug on the way down and I'm not sure if ther's much hope for....."

White's message to the Princess was cut off by Red's excited call

"LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!!!"

It took all of 5 seconds for the Princess and both of the Wolf's other bodies to catch up.

Red, standing at the bottom of a small cliff face looked down at his feet towards the fist sized green polished object at his feet.

He turned to smile at them, "smells of magic!"

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

Glorion had meditated and fasted for twelve hours, spent a further four arranging the Talisman and spell ingredients and then he assumed the lotus position and cleared his mind of all the distractions. Even the NowYouSeeMNowYouDon't Beetle had respected his silence.

As he carefully started the invocation he allowed himself a glance at the Gemstone in front of him and saw the figure was close to the front watching him.

He had explained to the silence figure before he started that the spell he was casting was not to crack the Gem but rather to create a duplicate body of the figures original and then a further spell would allow the soul to move from one to the other. The actual nature of the second spell was highly necromantic, an area that Glorion had never spent much time studying and he had only two spells of that nature in his Grimoire so he was trying to create the right spell by cobbling together the two he had. The Beetle in his belly had said it may work and it would keep an eye out for any potential mishaps ...

If results were purely based on determination and honesty of intention there would have been no chance of anything going wrong.

Within an hour Glorion felt drained. This was by far the hardest spell he had ever tried on his own. His sweat had dried up and his left wrist had an ache building within. The duplicate form was already to become the new host, though as it was hanging in the air behind him Glorion hadn't see who it might be yet.

As he whispered the start of the second spell he could feel the slight release as the darkness clad form within the gem began to dissipate and slowly, so slowly, seep out of her trap, like a morning fog lifting from the great Yondidli River.

After what seemed liked another hour to Glorion, though in reality was perhaps only a few minutes, he came to the final stanza of the second spell, the darkform had virtually gone now from the enchanted gem and he was sure he had felt a feather light kiss pass over his cheek as the escaping Shadow being was drawn to the recreated flesh form. Preparing himself to turn and give aid to the newly reborn Talokean he was lucky not to be looking at the Gem directly as it exploded into a thousand million tiny fragments.

Within his mind as he slipped into unconciousness the NowYouSeeMeNowYouDon't Beetle said " damnations that woman is so fine!"

[ September 13, 2003, 04:57 AM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

Time was never much of a problem when one could assume the form and properties of any radiation. The Princess had located the hidden cave mouth, followed the dozens of potential pathways and located the Mage literally within 3 seconds of Triple Wolf Reds discovery. Never having directly encountered magic before, the Okaaran and Tamaran peoples had never had a belief system that included it, she was shocked at what she saw in front of her as she resumed her flesh form.

The creature, she presumed it was a legendary Gorilla, was sat in front of perhaps the largest single gem stone she had ever seen. The Gorilla was chanting in an unpleasantly gutteral sounding language and banging his hands repeatedly on the ground at his sides. Behind this figure, hovering in mid air was the form of a blue skinned Talokean woman, looking strangely... vacant. The Princess did not like the feel of the very atmosphere within this chamber as she spotted the shadow form begining to leak from the gem, it seemed to be slowly swirling before the great ape and he seemes oblivious to it. She had been trained by the best that the Vegan system had to offer in the arts of battle from her first step yet for an eternal second she was not sure what she should do or even if she should do anything at all.

The darkness seemed to be rising.

Was this some sort of attack? Whatever was happening the Princess didn't like it so assuming the form of hard microwave she dived at the gem!

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

Glorion didn't want to wake up. He was in a dream with his father and his father had died over tenyears ago now so Glorion appreciated all the time he could spare these days.

" Glorion, the golden lady wants you to wake up so can you please WAKE UP YOU FAT BRUTE!"

Glorion had been listening to the scarab's dry voice since he wasa small child, it was easy to ignore but he had learned the hardway many times that it wasn't wise to ignore it for too long.

He allowed his hearing to focus in on his surrounding first and the soft voice he heard was definitely not of Talokean origin.

Opening his eyes shyly he gazed up into two pools of green love. The eyes above him were incredible! He was awake in an instant. Grogily trying to stand, the golden woman in front of him taking his arm and quite easily lifting him upright.

"hi there"

After Glorion had introduced himself, surreptitiously casting a minor Truthspeak Spell on the the Princess in the process, he explained about the shadow clad figure in the gem. Looking puzzled the Princess explained that after she had hit the gem in her energy form it had shattered, the Talokean body that had been floating behind Glorion had disipated as if made from the sand from the cave floor and the darkness seemed to retreat. She seemed genuinely upset when she realised that she may have ruined the spell and in the process damaged the trapped Talokean's chances of returning to freedom. Glorion assured her that what she had done could only have helped.

" That's my boy Glorion, lie to the Princess, it won't help her to know she's just killed the last of a line that stretches back Millenia."

" shoosh Beetle or I'll stick my fingers down my throat and you can walk back to the Spires on Heliotrope City"

Out of the corner of his eye Glorion spotted a small movement in the shadows. As he turned the Princess obviously reacting to the same motion, starts to glow brighter until it is impossible to look directly at her.

In front of them, in direct contast to the shining star that is the Princess, in amongst a seeping bank of shadow there stands a figure, not quite humanoid the person in front of them raises their head on a slightly elongated neck, eyes of a darker hue of blackness stare at the two of them. Arms that stretch out of torso and twist into clawlike hands at the end rise up imploringly and in the cave the silence is broken by a sound that is felt as much as heard:

"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh"

[ January 07, 2005, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.