Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Oh Yeah, That Forum: The Titans » TITANS new ongoing series: Should I or Shouldn't I? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: TITANS new ongoing series: Should I or Shouldn't I?
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Titans # 1 is out tomorrow. Should I buy it? Who's in? Who's out?

[ May 13, 2008, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'll take a peek at the store. Love the characters, the writing and art team not so much.
From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
I'll take a peek at the store. Love the characters, the writing and art team not so much.

Same here. Also, it kind of smells of 'trying to go home again' and I'm not sure I can handle another failed attempt at that.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
It's Winick, and he's not writing Barry Ween.

PASS.

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't hang out with my high school friends. They aren't bad people, I've got fond memories. But since high school, we've went on to other things and haven't really kept in touch.

Now if DC wanted to de-age the kids, that'd be one thing. But with them having been aged and grown, forcing them into those same roles just isn't right.

I want the title to work but won't be collecting it.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lolita
His Girl Friday

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lolita           Edit/Delete Post     
Review of #1. So far, looks awful.
From: Right by Cobie's Side | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
I did it. I bought the first issue and read it. I'm not super impressed, but the review Jailbait Lass linked to is pretty harsh. Probably a bit harsher than the issue deserves. On the plus side, the bloodbath from the Titan's East special turns out not to be as severe as originally implied. Only one confirmed death. The return of Trigon seems legitimate enough. It's really about the only plausible reason I can think of for this particular lineup to get back together.

The artwork had its moments, but is not really a style I'm overly fond of. The script didn't have any real zing or magic. I might give it a couple more issues...

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Jailbait Lass, that review was @#$$#% awesome! Thanks for the link.

If anything has Winick's name on it, I avoid it like the plague. I don't see any reason not avoid it this time.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
I don't hang out with my high school friends. They aren't bad people, I've got fond memories. But since high school, we've went on to other things and haven't really kept in touch.

Now if DC wanted to de-age the kids, that'd be one thing. But with them having been aged and grown, forcing them into those same roles just isn't right.

I want the title to work but won't be collecting it.

I don't have a problem with the Titans being realy tight, after all, they, like the Legion, have fought world ending threats together, and buried friends together, it makes sense that they would still be a big part of eachothers lives.

However, I agree with you that I don't like seeing them in the same ROLES as they were. It always seem like the Titans degress to their W/P roles, not taking into the fact that Wally runs with the League now (and has kids), Roy is in the League now also, Dick is still single, Donna has probably been through more than any of them, etc. I never see the changes in these characters lives reflected in their relationships with one another.

For example, in Geoff John's Flash he has Wally talking about Dick, how they used to be really tight and now they don't talk as much, he says the reason "I got married, he didn't" To me that was pure gold, because when your life changes your relationships change also. I know that if any Titan called another they would be their in a heartbeat, but I would love to see the distance caused by changes in themselves to come in through the book and not just for them to revert to the Wolfman/Perez characters.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I wasn't too impressed by it. It was competent but not great. Will be saving my 3bucks from this point on.

The point about regressing to the roles given by Wolfman Perez is well-taken.

However I demand that Linda West be portrayed as the character that breaks up the Titans. Later Wally gets shot by a crazy guy in Central Park. Dick marries some photographer and forms a new super-hero team (the Wingsmen or something) . Then years later Mrs Grayson dies of some disease and he marries some daffy animal rights activist and has a nasty divorce where she tries to take him for all of Bruce's billions.

Roy suffers for years with addiction and eventually joins a superhero team full of old guys who used to be teen superheroes.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Meanwhile, Garth, though the weakest link in the original Titans line-up, actually goes on to enjoy the most stable post-Titans career, moonlighting as an actor and marrying a former Bond girl!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Tamper Lad & EDE - ^^^ LOVE. IT. !!! [LOL] [LOL]
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Since I started actively participating in what comics I buy & read at the CBR, I have always bought every Titans title that has come out. Well, with this issue, I have now *not* bought my first Titans #1. And I don't intend to buy any single issue while Winnick writes this cast. Not unless I see everyone on Legion World raving about how good it is.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
http://www.thexaxis.com/misc/titans1.htm

Fairly an evisceration of the book, of the fun-to-read sort.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I read the reviews, then, in a moment of veal-like weakness, I bought it anyway.

I didn't hate it.

Ian Churchill's art is pretty neat, and a lot of the stuff I saw complained about in reviews was less complaint-worthy on the page, IMO.

There were some bone-headed plot elements (warning other people, like the 35 other Teen Titans that have at least as much connection to Trigon as Speedy?) and a bit of mischaracterization (I don't care what anyone says, Raven does not wear thong undies and bubblegum pink lip gloss...). Ian Churchill's gift from drawing nekkid men doesn't seem to extend to drawing nekkid women, 'cause he somehow managed to give us three pages of nekkid Koriand'r that made her look blobby and bulbous and invertebrate. Otherwise the art was pretty awesome, and I was kinda surprised by that, since the reviewers pretty much uniformly excoriated it.

On the other hand, it's Winnick, so I'm expecting Kory and Donna to be bumpin' it soon, and Speedy/Arsenal/Red-Douchebag-who-has-nothing-to-do-with-this-story-anyway to come down with a scorching case of the hiv. Only, space-hiv, from that Thanagarian stuff he's been dipping into.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.