Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » LMBer One on One! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: LMBer One on One!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I remember when I got to LW in Sept 2003 and the feeling of community and friendship was just so strong. Even though I recognized a ton of people from the LMB, there seemed to be just this limitless supply of posters posting regularly on the Legion forum and MMB. If Legion World had not existed, I certainly would have only posted again for a few weeks and probably called it quits. But I was immediately hooked on logging on at least once a day.

Switching gears for a minute: I've said this on several threads recently but am not sure if you've seen it. A few months ago (years?) I was on a major anti-DC rant and pretty much at my lowest point of comic book enthusiasm ever in my life. You gave me some great advice: I don't really owe it to any franchise or company to collect comics out of habit and I should really go out there and try to find some comic books I do like in other places and try to reclaim that sense of fun. Pretty simple advice but you telling me that seemed to click. I did just that and am now collecting a whole slew of comics I've gone out of my way to find. So--thanks! [Yes]

That being said--any comics you're collecting these days?

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm glad that my advice helped you, Cobie. It sure took me long enough to come to that conclusion myself. Being a comics fan is a wonderful blessing, but it also has pitfalls. For one, buying titles on a regular basis becomes a habit, and, like any habit, it's hard to break.

I switched jobs a few years ago and could no longer afford to buy comics on a regular basis. However, that turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as it made me confront the fact that I wasn't really enjoying comics anymore and hadn't for a long time. I think this was partly because I was growing in a different direction and partly because comics just aren't as good as they used to be. I cannot justify spending three or four dollars for an issue that contains one sixth of a story, if that. I also no longer have the patience to follow stories for months or years on end. Few comics stories these days build up to a payoff that is worth the investment in time and money. I'd rather read a novel.

Comics still hold a special place in my heart. The potential of the medium has only been scratched. I also still enjoy reading the older titles in my collection, such as the 5YL issues I recently reviewed.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I think so much of it has to do with editorial decisions such as how much story you get in one issue and how much you need to know about other comic books you're not collecting. You used to be able to buy random issues and be curious about other stories but not feel obligated to buy them.

One more quick question (and I'm heading off to bed!): lately there has been an almost revitalization of Legion World in a way. It began on the MMB, the Legion forum followed, then the Titans forum and then our trip to the DC Board. I really feel like the energy on LW is back to levels it was at some time back--not that the lull is anyone's fault, that's probably the lack of a good Legion comic slowing traffic. Any ideas on what the next step will be keeping things going wild on LW? Whether as a suggestion or even a theory about where things will naturally go. Message Board Sociologists are curious, after all. [Big Grin]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I remember when I got to LW in Sept 2003 and the feeling of community and friendship was just so strong.

It's sometimes hard for me to remember that you haven't been here all along or consistently throughout. I think of you as one of the wisened (but young!) founders and guiding lights of the LMB/LW. How many "leaves of absence" have you taken, and what brings you back?

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
One more quick question (and I'm heading off to bed!): lately there has been an almost revitalization of Legion World in a way. It began on the MMB, the Legion forum followed, then the Titans forum and then our trip to the DC Board. I really feel like the energy on LW is back to levels it was at some time back--not that the lull is anyone's fault, that's probably the lack of a good Legion comic slowing traffic. Any ideas on what the next step will be keeping things going wild on LW? Whether as a suggestion or even a theory about where things will naturally go. Message Board Sociologists are curious, after all. [Big Grin]

Yes, it's past my bedtime, too!

What surprises me about LW is how our community manages to survive and flourish in spite of the lack of a regular Legion comic . . . in spite of reboots . . . in spite of multiple versions of the Legion that pull in different generations of fans. I think the Legion's underlying theme of a hopeful, optimistic future where one can find belonging and purpose, not unlike Star Trek's vision of the future, is what draws us in and sustains us. I have no idea where this future is going to take LW, but each moment of the present is a treasured gift.

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
What surprises me about LW is how our community manages to survive and flourish in spite of the lack of a regular Legion comic . . . in spite of reboots . . . in spite of multiple versions of the Legion that pull in different generations of fans. I think the Legion's underlying theme of a hopeful, optimistic future where one can find belonging and purpose, not unlike Star Trek's vision of the future, is what draws us in and sustains us.

Nope, Huey--it's Magic! [Yes]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
quote:

Yes, it's past my bedtime, too!

What surprises me about LW is how our community manages to survive and flourish in spite of the lack of a regular Legion comic . . . in spite of reboots . . . in spite of multiple versions of the Legion that pull in different generations of fans. I think the Legion's underlying theme of a hopeful, optimistic future where one can find belonging and purpose, not unlike Star Trek's vision of the future, is what draws us in and sustains us. I have no idea where this future is going to take LW, but each moment of the present is a treasured gift.

*standing ovation*

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Personally, I treasure a night 11ish years ago that I first read (possibly while high) the WIZARD forum posts of a young man named-- LARDLAD.

I even "all-capped" my MLLASH screename in homage to him.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Personally, I treasure a night 11ish years ago that I first read (possibly while high) the WIZARD forum posts of a young man named-- LARDLAD.

LW secrets revealed! [Smile]

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:

Hee! On the Wizard Boards I was actually just a nice young chap who was trying to talk Legion on a board that didn't actually draw in very many Legion fans for some unknown reason. [shrug] This MLLASH cat was a pretty kewl customer though who stood out...and was rockin' the all caps, as well! Imagine my surprise when we both seemed to migrate over to the DC Boards simultaneously!

Strangely though, we both grew some odd character traits outta nowhere: him with the homosexuality and me with the sexual crudity! To this day, we still don't know what happened! [LOL] [Wink]

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

It's true. Wizard-- for some nonsensical reason I can't fathom these days-- maybe because I at that time enjoyed the sense of humor in their magazine?-- was the first message board I posted at, largely because LARDLAD's posts were so kewl and stuff. We seemed to quickly connect (probably becuase I'm so pushy!) and from there... well, y'know.

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

I remember posting something like: "Say, are you the same MLLASH who posted on the Wizard boards?" Truth!

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I REMEMBER THAT!!

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Yeah! It was in the midst of some normal Legion topic....no idea what it was. But I probably posted something like "....and blah-blah-blah, that's why Bounty wasn't a total travesty!" Then, I added that "Say are you..." parenthetically to Lash at the bottom. [Yes]

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

First EDE memory- the original Matter-Eater Lad: The series thread which I have printed out on paper!

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.