Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » Ask Fanfic Lady (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Ask Fanfic Lady
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Stealth,
What cool Spanish-language comics did you get to read thanks to growing up in South America?

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm glad you asked, Kent. [Wink] During the early 80s, there was a weekly Disney digest from Spain called Don Miki (which vaguely translates to Mister Mickey), and it reprinted a mixture of Mickey Mouse stories and Donald Duck stories from Italy, Denmark, and Holland, years before the European Disney stories began to be reprinted in the States.

The Donald Duck stories from Italy were especially awesome -- in a lot of the stories, Donald had a Batman-like alter ego, the Phantom Duck or, in Spanish, Patomas (the original name in Italian was Paperinik; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paperinik )

My parents, especially my father, didn't like these comics at all, because they were darker, edgier, and more violent than American Disney comics (even though a lot Carl Barks' masterworks, which they had grown up reading, were fairly dark, edgy, and violent.)

Later in the decade, I bought several graphic novels, also from Spain, and featuring homegrown Spanish comic-book stars Mortadelo and Filemon. These stories, about two bumbling secret agents, were a riot of surrealism and brutal slapstick humor. One day I hope to travel to Spain to get more of these stories.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I looked up Catherine Wheel at trouserpress.com -- sounds like it might be sort of like Garbage with a male vocalist. Now, I love Garbage, but a lot of that has to do with my girl Shirley; I don't know what the effect would be like with a male voice, especially when the vocalist is Bruce Dickinson's brother. [Eek!]

I've really got to get speakers for my computer -- then I could listen to Catherine Wheel without paying anything.

--------------------

Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
Dear Stealth,

Are you a little bit country, or a little bit rock n roll?

From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

dedman, I'm actually a little bit country -- mostly the left-field country, especially Neko Case and Shelby Lynne (her first album, at least), but every once in a while, there's a good mainstream country song that crosses over into pop, such as Carrie Underwood's "Before He Cheats."

--------------------

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Stealth:
Well, I looked up Catherine Wheel at trouserpress.com -- sounds like it might be sort of like Garbage with a male vocalist. Now, I love Garbage, but a lot of that has to do with my girl Shirley; I don't know what the effect would be like with a male voice, especially when the vocalist is Bruce Dickinson's brother. [Eek!]

Cousin, actually.

I always saw the band as a mix of shoegazer pop and more agressive rock. I tended to like them better when they learned more towards the former. The first CD, Ferment, is definitely worth a listen.

The Trouser Press music guides helped introduce me to a lot of great music. I'm glad the web sie is there, though they could stand to update it more frequently.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Been to any good restaurants lately?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ram Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ram Boy   Email Ram Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
The first CD, Ferment, is definitely worth a listen.

"Black Metallic" blew my mind. I also found their Adam and Eve CD really worth while. "American Mother" and "Future Boy" being favorites.

Stealth, if you could have a romantic tryst with any Legionnaire, who would it be?

Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Outdoor Miner, I'll start looking for a copy of Ferment; and I agree the lack of updates at trouserpress.com can get annoying, especially in the entries where they have the discography updated but not the reviews.

Cramer, I recently went to a nice little Italian restaurant called Angelo's that's only fifteen minutes away from me.

Ram Boy, I'd like to have a romantic tryst with Brainiac 5. To me, smart=sexy. I wish he'd grow his hair out, though.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Stealth, do you live in the New York area? Because there's an Angelo's in Little Italy that is by far the best Italian restaurant I've ever been to!

Oh, and if you could have a romantic tryst with any villain/antagonist, who would it be? Doesn't have to be Legion-related or comic book related...since sometimes villainous enemies can be so sexy! [Big Grin]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Cobie, I don't live in the New York area, although I have visited New York once and I liked it very much; if and when I have a chance to go back there, I'll definitely check out the Angelo's in Little Italy. Thanks.

A tryst with a villain...I'll have to think about that one.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Cobie, I can finally answer your second question now.

I would have a tryst with the sometime hero, sometime anti-hero, and occasional villain known as Prince Namor, the Sub-Mariner.

--------------------

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Stealth,

You have a one month all expenses paid vacation to anywhere in the world, where would you go?

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Quis, I would go to either Italy or Spain. I can't really make up my mind which one, although as I mentioned earlier in the thread, the thought of going to Spain and buying European comic books translated into Spanish is very appealing (I speak very limited Italian -- limited mostly to the titles of Italian art-gore movies.)

--------------------

Ram Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ram Boy   Email Ram Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Stealth, what is an Italian art-gore movie?
Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.