Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Mission Monitor Board » The LMBP Senate (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The LMBP Senate
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
<as the Senate convenes, Lard Lad rises]

Senators! I come before you to urge you to action!

Many of you may not know this yet, but Legion World is, once again, in danger!

<several gasp, others whisper>

Our beloved Varalent has been kidnapped, possibly murdered, and ourprime suspect is the supposedly reformed Royal Inquisitor!

<more audible gasps at that name's mention>

In addition my robot has been destroyed, Everyday Girl is missing, the standoff with Slim continues with the lives of Stoopid Cat and Pagan Lass (among others) at risk, Gary Concord is still out there doing gods-knows what and there's possibly a rogue Emerald Eye out there--and those are just off the top of my head!

<muttering>

As it stands, the Security Office's hands are tied on this matter! There have been too many restrictions put on our Office for it to be effective in Legion World's time of need. It was a miracle Legion World survived the 52 Affair last year with those restrictions!

Are we to put things to chance again and just hope we prevail again? Look, I know things seem okay right now, but trust me when I say that all of these happenings are merely the beginnings of worse things to come. All of you have seen various crises begin the exact same way!

So I ask you: is the Senate to remain a mere advisory body? Within this room are some of the greatest LMBers ever to wear a flight ring! Will you stand idly by?

I say, let's take a more proactive role and vote the Security Office emergency powers until such time as Legion World is safe again!

What say you?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
<returns to his seat to allow the inevitable debate to begin>

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
You know, even Palpatine knew when to scale it back a bit.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Hmmm? Who's 'Palpatine'?

Oh, whatever, Miner...

<goes and sits in another chair>

--------------------

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

I think I liked you better when you had eyes.

And there wasn't a nimbus of fire that seemed to follow you everywhere.

--------------------

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

[Mad]

--------------------

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Like that, yeah.

And when did you start wearing Christopher Lee's hand-me-downs?

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Miner, you wanna see my "nimbus of fire" up close and personal? I know bugs like the pretty lights... [Smile]

Now stop baiting me, and start debating if you have issues with my idea! 'Kay?

[Razz]

--------------------

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

OK, Let's start with these "emergency powers" you speak of.

Exactly what additional powers do you want the Security Office to have?

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Well, I'd say that's at the discretion of the co-Chiefs to determine. However, I can see how bringing back banned technologies like the tesseract system and the chip-in-head tech would be possibilities.

But that would be for Abin and Matlock to determine! So I'm not arguing for myself. I'm a faithful Officer and only ask that some of the red tape be cut, so Abin, Matlock and the rest of us byextension can keep Legion World secure!

Is that unreasonable?

--------------------

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Yes, in that you're asking us to vote for something that isn't even defined.

I'd like to know if Abin and Matlock even want or need these Emergency Powers, whatever they may be. We need to hear from them.

And I would like to know more about what kind of additional powers you would grant them, and why.

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Miner, it's a little hard to define exactly which discretionary powers they will choose to use--it depends on the circumstances. At this point I'd define them as whatever it takes to track down the Royal Inquisitor for starters! If he's back to his old tricks, we're really in for it! You don't disagree there, do ya?

So maybe, for example, they could use their discretionary powers to search any premises they suspect Roy might be hiding in. I'm sure they'd do everything they could to not violate anyone's civil rights unless absolutely necessary. But obtaining warrants and all the other red tape they face...there's no telling what havok Roy could wreak while they have to go thru all that wasteful rigamarole!

Abin and Matlock are very wise co-Chiefs---they won't abuse the powers. And if they do, they'll have to answer to the Security Committee!

And, no, I haven't discussed what I'm doing here with them. But I can hardly see that they would object, given the potentially dire seriousness of what we face!

--------------------

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Perhaps I mis-stated my response.

I'm not asking you to tell me which discretionary powers they choose to use. I'm asking you to tell me what additional powers you want them to have. Emergency powers are not, by definition, a blank check.

And while I agree with you that Abin and Matlock are both wise and capable, they need to be here to state the case for these powers. We can't assume they would approve or disapprove.

That you could not be bothered to even discuss this matter with your superiors before approaching the Senate is, in itself, worrisome, sir.

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

I'm sorry you feel that way, Miner. As I've stated, I am a Chief, so I would only be following their orders. I believe this would enable them to be more proactive in these dire matters. However, since you doubt the purity of my motives...

<picks up Omnicom>

...I will send them a message about what is going on here...

<writes and sends both Chiefs messages>

...and hopefully one or both will arrive shortly and assuage your...<frowns> worries.

Good day, Miner. I have others to speak with.

<turns his back to Miner and finds another Senator>

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

OOC: Translation--I'm going to bed! [Big Grin]

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.