Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Comic pricing /buying Advice

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Comic pricing /buying Advice
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phantom Girl   Email Phantom Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
Hi there, I beleive I mentioned this on another thread but here goes.

Recently I talked to a gentleman about buying some comics from him. Today I went to his house and looked at the comics themselves. Here's what I found...

Now I only noticed one of these comics had Legion in it and even that was pretty minor. However I'm thinking there might be some value to some of the comics here and therefore would like to get some input from you folks.

I would say the the comics were in FINE to GOOD condition based off what I've seen for evaluating comics on the internet. I didn't buy anything because I decided to do some research first. The highlights he had were as follows:

The Avengers #19, Aug. 1965, He wants $20.00 for it.

Fantastic Four #42, Sept. 1965, He wants $5.00 for it.

Giant Man and Incredible Hulk #69, July 1965, He wants $10.00 for it.

Giant Man and Incredible Hulk #66 Apr, 1965, He wants $10.00 for it.

Spiderman #23, Apr. 1965, He wants $20.00 for it.

Spiderman #29 Oct. 1965, He wants $20.00 for it.

Spiderman #30 Nov 1965, He wants $10.00 for it.

Amazing Fantasy #15, Aug 1962 (apparently the first appearance of Spiderman from what I understood). He wants $200 for it, I'd say condition is Good, the biggest flaws were a slightly rolled spine and somewhat loose cover but not to bad, the outer right edge was chewed (maybe 1/8 all the way down, otherwise in decent condition. This is the worst of the comics in regards to condition, all of the others on this list were better.

Superman #155, Aug 1962, He wants $5.00 for it.

Giant Superman Annual #5, Summer 1962. He wants $5.00 for it.

Ironman and Captain America #59, Nov. 1964, He wants $20.00 for it.

Ironman and Captain America #58, Oct. 1962, He wants $20.00 for it.

Hawkman $43, Sept. 1962, He wants $20.00 for it.

Daredevil #4, Oct. 1962, He wants $20.00 for it.

The Flash - Giant Issue #4, Oct. 1964, He wants $7.00 for it.

Batman #149, Aug. 1962, He wants $5.00 for it.

The Shadow #3, Nov. 1964, He wants $2.00 for it.

Strange Tales: The Watcher, #134, Jul 1965, He wants $5.00 for it.

I'll buy a price guide to help me figure out what these comics are worth if I were to turn around and sell them. Regarding the prices for the various conditions in a comic price guide; are these what I could sell them for or if I sold them to a comic store or should I expect a lot less? If so, where else should I go to sell them? Right now I'm looking for some advice to get me started on things. Does anyone know of any websites I can visit which will tell me what the value is of these comics based on the condition?

He had some others for sale as well but their condition was worse POOR to FAIR, they were all other types of comics, such as Aquaman and Aqualad #32, Bugs Bunny 1959, Woody Woodpecker 1955, Mouse Musketeers 1957, Loony Tunes 1959, Herbie #5 1964 (not the car but some other sort of character I'd never seen before), Fightin Army #44 1961, Tarzan 1959-1960, Disney's Word of Adventure 1963, Bonanza 1962, Tonka #966 1968 (how can a comic be up to issue #966 in 1958, unless he meant issue #96?), 1962 MN Twins Yearbook. I didn't think any of these were worth anything though. They were all very cheap, most $1.00, a few at $5.00, and the Herbie at $7.00.

Any input would be appreceiated. Thanks much!

--------------------
I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.

From: Bgztl | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm no expert but I believe the amounts in the price guides are market price not what you would expect to pay a dealer. The dealers would pay you a bit less so as to have a margin of profit.

I would think the most active website to check out for current values would be EBay. They have quite an active comic book section and you can see what people are actually willing to pay and how to best describe them to potential buyers.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh...

Another place to look online would be online retailers with back issues, such as Mile High Comics. These people really know their stuff and you will get an accurate value by searching through their back issues area.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Good advice Vee.

I'm moving this to Gym'll's as this isn't Legion-centric.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phantom Girl
Long Live the Legion!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phantom Girl   Email Phantom Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
Amazing Fantasy #15, Aug 1962 (apparently the first appearance of Spiderman from what I understood). I acquired this comic earlier this month. I'd say condition is Good (perhaps lower grade of Good, or upper grade of Fair) based on the descriptions I've seen for rating comic books. The biggest flaws were a slightly rolled spine and somewhat loose cover but not to bad, the outer right edge was chewed (maybe 1/8 all the way down, otherwise in decent condition.

Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to handle the investment? I bought it pretty much with the thought of turning around and selling it. I'm in no hurry to do so, as I don't need money that badly. Right now it's in plastic with a cardboard backing and in the bank along with the house papers, my daughter's birth certificate, that sort of thing.

Does anyone have experience with the CGC?

--------------------
I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.

From: Bgztl | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Sorry i can't help, PG. I find most of mine in stores or on ebay. I have a good relationship with my LCS and i tend to get some discounts because I have been going there since before they owned it. I'm a pretty steady, regular customer. They know what I like and look out for it. I have some adventure legions in my pull right now with a sticker price of $10.00, but i will probably get them for around five.

And thats what i would expect to pay on ebay as well. There you always have to take into account the "shipping" costs. They will action a book for $1.25, but the "shipping and handling" will run you between $3 and $4. That puts it in the five buck range for me, which is where i draw the line.

You can also watch for some bigger lot sales, like ten to fifteen books. They tend to be much cheaper than offered individually.

I got a great JSA collection of All Star Squad from the 70's for about $13.00.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Hey guys, I have a question--do you have any idea where to find a good online price guide for comics. I've checked Mile High Comics and Ebay but so far no luck.

Here's why: my father and I have an extensive comic book collection and it's been well known among my dad's friends for decades. Many times over the years, some people just give him/us comics because they know he's "a guy who loves comics". Sometimes these are really great ones like a Captain Marvel from 1951 we recieved from a friend. Very recently, one of my father's friends gave us a copy of a very old (and rare) comic, Little Giant Comics #2 from 1938 by Centaur Comics. My Dad asked me how much it might be worth out of curiousity so I'm trying to find out.

It's certainly not anywhere near Near-Mint condition. The back cover is torn off, so I'm not sure how these things are graded but I suspect that puts it in "Poor" category or the one right above it.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
It would likely be considered poor condition. BUT... 1938 + rare (these 2 go hand in hand really) = $$$!

Most comics from 1938 are going to be found in fair or worse condition.

One thing I learned when I was selling... you never know its TRUE worth until you actually find out what someone will pay you for it.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Here's a link to the comic!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.