Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » When you read comics, what voices do you hear in your head when characters talk? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: When you read comics, what voices do you hear in your head when characters talk?
walkwithcrowds
Skinny wee Scottish guy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for walkwithcrowds   Email walkwithcrowds         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Prime:
...Ted Cord: Matthew Perry...

That is SOOOOOOO perfect!!!

But now I will ALWAYS think of Booster as Matt LeBlanc.

--------------------
Be lucky

From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't tend to either, though it's an excellent thought to come up with a list.

Since I went on a Star Wars DVD watching marathon I do find I replicate the voices when I read the novels and it adds to the experience. Fortunately, I've not read any novels with Jar Jar or I may have to give up reading.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know the name of the actor who did Dr. Doom in the 1967 cartoons, but that's always been how Doom sounds to me. I saw those cartoons a few years ago for the first time in ages, and was reminded of how he sounded... and then I realized there was a recent character whose voice was somewhat similar-- Garak on DS9. So now, I think of Andy Robinson as Doom!

Similarly, I re-read the entire Don Heck run of IRON MAN (in TALES OF SUSPENSE) while watching reruns of WINGS. So now, I think of Amy Yasbeck ("Casey Chapell") whenever I read Pepper Potts!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hawkeye sounds to me like Neil Ross (Shipwreck from G.I. Joe)

The Supreme Intelligence sounds to me like Frank Welker (his "Darkseid" voice)

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walkwithcrowds
Skinny wee Scottish guy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for walkwithcrowds   Email walkwithcrowds         Edit/Delete Post     
I've never really thought of who would be a good voice for a character but, since reading this thread, here are some ideas I've came up with:
J'onn J'onnz (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) = James Earl Jones
Doctor Doom = Christopher Lee
Batman = Gregory Peck
Superman = Christopher Reeve
Ben Grimm = Ernest Borgnine
Wolverine = Kurt Russell (as Snake Plisken - WAAAY over the top macho, posturing, bullshit)
Doctor Strange = Adam West (I know he IS batman but his pompous over earnest delivery, I feel, fit's Doctor Stange better)

I'll post some more as I think of them

--------------------
Be lucky

From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
"Ben Grimm = Ernest Borgnine"

That's GREAT!!!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The five core Green Lanterns:

HAL: Neil Ross (Springer on Transformers)

JOHN: Arthur Burghardt (Stalker on G.I. Joe)

KILOWOG: John Stephenson (Thundercracker on Transformers)

KYLE: Ted Schwartz (Spider-Man in the syndicated early 80s Spidey toon -- NOT Amazing Friends, that was on NBC!)

GUY: Bill Callaway (Beach Head on G.I. Joe, not with the drawl, but with the same hardass attitude)

[ April 16, 2009, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: Stealth ]

--------------------

cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
No no no!! You've got it all upwards and backside-down. I read comics so that the voices in my head will be quiet !!!

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Cleome, LOL!

I edited my above post about the five core Green Lanterns, because most of the actors are known for many different voices they've done, and I wanted to specify which of their characters the Lanterns most sound like. I'd particularly like to know what Hal fans think of him sounding like Springer from Transformers.)

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not familiar with any of those toons, alas.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't hear any voices at all when I read (which makes sense, as I read so fast that they'd all sound like one of those fast-talker commercials on helium!), although I can definitely go for the idea of Dr. Doom as James Earl Jones, as mentioned previously. So when I hear an actor or voice-actor (in a cartoon) taking on one of those voices, it very rarely clashes terribly for me (although there have been exceptions, where I had no idea what the character sounded like, only that they couldn't possibly sound like that actor!).

The most jarring one in recent memory was Viggo's voice as Aragorn. He's indelibly burned into my mind as the voice of Lucifer, from the movie Prophecy, and when he first spoke up in the Prancing Pony my spine crawled and I wanted to urge Frodo to run away as fast as he could! But that's nothing to do with a pre-conceived idea about what Aragorn would sound like and everything to do with Viggo's past associations.

[ April 16, 2009, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Set ]

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Stealth:
I'd particularly like to know what Hal fans think of him sounding like Springer from Transformers.)

Springer was my favorite of the Second Generation Transformers, so that's pretty cool to me! I can see that for an animated or "cartoony" version of comic book Hal, but for me it doesn't quite match up when he's drawn more realistically. (Reis or Van Sciver)

Speaking of Transformers, I sometimes imagine Ultron sounding like Starscream.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rody the Super-Rat
Say CHEESE

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rody the Super-Rat           Edit/Delete Post     
They all sound like Jim Gaffigan doing his high-pitched "Hot Pockets" voice.

--------------------
[Rodent-English translations provided courtesy of telepathic earplugs.]

From: The Legion of Super-Rodents clubhouse | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.