Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Lardy's Roundtable (Gym'll's Ed.): Ultimate Superman? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  36  37  38   
Author Topic: Lardy's Roundtable (Gym'll's Ed.): Ultimate Superman?
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
My List:

JLA - This is the premiere team book
JSA - Being well-written right now
Flash - My favorite character

Can't think of any other that would constitute a must have.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't hit the shops as regularly as I used to so I don't really have a "must have" right away list that doesn't include all things Legion.

Still though...I always get Liberty Meadows in a stack of about five or six issues at a time. LM is one of the very best light reading comics I've read in years and years and Brandy is ULTRA hot.

Any and all Astro City one shots and specials since the (so called) ongoing series seems to have been lost to the time wasting nonsense of "regular work".

JSA for the time being. Whether or not I buy it in the futire is up in the air, we'll see what it's quality is like with the creative team switch but until then I just gotta have it.

Those Annoying Post Brothers by Matt Howarth. I'm a huge Howarth fan since the Bros. appeared in Heavy Metal back in the stoneed age. I get all the spin opffs and specials that show up too. He's uber weird and writes excellent sci-fi.

[plug] The Keif Llama - Xenotech series (by the same Matt Howarth) is fantastic! Last year 3 issues plus a new filler story were published as a trade called Particle Dreams and priced at 9.99 it's more than worth it to get it if you can find it anywhere.[/plug]

Hmm..looks like the only thing I buy that isn't in danger of cancellation or intermittent publishing breaks is JSA.

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Interesting how much Green Lantern love there is. I haven't read a Green Lantern book since before Hal died. I'm afraid if I started buying it now, it would go bad.

Fables is a must have. I love the way the fairy tale characters are adapted and updated, but often keeping their old fairy tale ethics. Characters I'd forgotten about appear (like Rose Red). Willingham manages to get me interested in characters I thought would be boring, like Boy Blue and Flycatcher. The addition of the Arabian and India-based stories show how much scope Willingham has to continue this series.

Criminal/Incognito I'll put these down as one, since Brubaker is doing Incognito while on taking a break from Criminal. I'm not generally a hard-boiled detective/crime fan, but Brubaker won me with Sleeper - so I tried Criminal. The series has great stories, contained in arcs of several issues, with meaty interviews and essays at the end of each issue. I haven't even read Incognito yet, but since Brubaker describes it as a reverse Sleeper (bad buy pretending to be a good guy), I'm pre-hooked. (I'm surprised you didn't list this one, Lardy.)

Guardians of the Galaxy - space opera, but with small enough a core of characters that I don't get lost, since these are all new to me. Interesting background concepts, lots of strange secondary aliens and probably the best animal characters I've read (outside of a strictly animal book like We3).

Top Ten - I'll take a flyer on this, since I've only read the first issue, but I loved the complexity and easter egginess of the original Top Ten and it looks like it's continuing with this second series.

The last one's a tough call, between Ambush Bug and Umbrella Academy. I'll go with Ambush Bug for the guaranteed cheap laughs.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Fables – At this point, Fables not only ranks up there with Sandman and Preacher, it ranks up there with Moore’s Swamp Thing and other of the greatest runs of all time in comics history. Its so good and yet every time I open up an issue I’m surprised by just how damn good it is. It continues to be a possible, and probable, pick for single best ongoing series in comic books, as it has for the last several years.

quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Fables is one of those Vertigo titles I missed the boat on when it first started up, but you can bet I'll be TPBing it like crazy soon enough.

quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Fables is a must have. I love the way the fairy tale characters are adapted and updated, but often keeping their old fairy tale ethics. Characters I'd forgotten about appear (like Rose Red). Willingham manages to get me interested in characters I thought would be boring, like Boy Blue and Flycatcher. The addition of the Arabian and India-based stories show how much scope Willingham has to continue this series.

I approached Fables with an open mind. Watching Fractured Fairy Tales was one of the highlights of my childhood, and reading the un-sanitized Brothers Grimm was one of the highlights of my tweens, so I thought I might like it. I read the first trade and I thought it was pretty good, but it didn't excite me enough to keep going with it.

I think Fables' sister Vertigo title Madame Xanadu (which narrowly missed my Top Five only because I've only read one issue so far) might be the flip-side of Fables. Both are adult-oriented approaches to well-known and well-sanitized folk tales, but where Fables is ironic and irreverent, Madame Xanadu plays it completely straight and, to my taste, works better.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abin Quank
Except when I'm someone else...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abin Quank           Edit/Delete Post     
Tough Choices...

Green Lantern/Green Lantern Corps - I consider them to be a single book much like LSH/Legionnaires were. (To me at least)

JSA... For now...

Dynamo Five - If you're not reading this one you should be.

Jack of Fables - Gets beter with each issue

Noble Causes - Think Dallas with Capes

--------------------
Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...

From: Westerly Rhode Island | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
ok....

The Walking Dead - I don't think I can add anything to whats been already said about this one. Excellent read, superb characterization, stellar art.

Fables - Once again a title that seems muched loved here. I like it because its a fanastic story.

GI Joe - Theres actually several Joe titles being released over the next few months. I was a huge fan of GI Joe as a kid (both the toys and comics), and am willing to give this a shot.

Lenore - This one isn't on anything resembling a regular schedule but when it comes out I get it. Very funny, in a twisted kind of way.

Can't really decide on a fifth title.

From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
The Walking Dead

Justice Society of America

The Flash

Ambush Bug - I wish this was an ongoing)

Legion of Three Worlds (Then the new Legion book, whatever the name may be)

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
THE WALKING DEAD

GAURDIANS OF THE GALAXY

JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA

SECRET SIX

A fifth must-have? Hmm... AMBUSH BUG only has 2 issues left... or it would make the cut for certain. MARVEL ZOMBIES is a series of miniseries and the current one only has 1 issue left... hmm. I think I'll give the last slot to a quarterly:

FRANKLIN RICHARDS

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
[QB]Interesting how much Green Lantern love there is. I haven't read a Green Lantern book since before Hal died. I'm afraid if I started buying it now, it would go bad.

Ditto. I was a huge Hal fan, until Owsley.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Criminal/Incognito I'll put these down as one, since Brubaker is doing Incognito while on taking a break from Criminal. I'm not generally a hard-boiled detective/crime fan, but Brubaker won me with Sleeper - so I tried Criminal. The series has great stories, contained in arcs of several issues, with meaty interviews and essays at the end of each issue. I haven't even read Incognito yet, but since Brubaker describes it as a reverse Sleeper (bad buy pretending to be a good guy), I'm pre-hooked. (I'm surprised you didn't list this one, Lardy.)

It was tempting to list Incognito instead of Iron Fist or Daredevil, but I went with comics that I've actually had in my hands. Make no mistake, I'm picking up Incognito (out this week, I think?)...but I never annoint anything before I've actually read it as being one of the very best comics!

Yeah, I know it probably will be based on my love for Ed and Sean's work together, but there's no guarantee it'll capture lightning in a bottle like Sleeper did. (Man, I loved Sleeper!)

So I'm sure it'll be awesome, but let me read at least an issue first, 'kay? [Smile]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
So with 14 people responding, the Top Five vote-getters were:

1) Guardians of the Galaxy & Justice Society of America (Tie: 5 votes apiece)

2) Green Lantern (4 and a half votes--I counted Abin's GL/GLC combo as half apiece)

3) The Walking Dead (4 votes)

4) Fables (3 votes)

That's an interesting result. I read 3 of these. Of the two I don't, I've recently acquired the Guardians issues, but haven't read them yet, and I plan on starting picking up the trades on Fables sometime in '09.

I'm curious...if you don't get any of these, is it possible that this result has piqued your interest in trying out any of them soon?

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Okay, so let's turn the topic around....

...what titles (as many as five) that you are currently getting would be the easiest for you to drop right now?

(try to observe the rules of the other challenge..i.e. title isn't already known to be ending soon, etc.)

--------------------

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not getting that many more than five - easiest to drop would be the irregular issues (Berlin and Mouse Guard - I even forget about them until they show up in my box) or the limited series (Atomic Robo and Umbrella Academy). I'd probably get those in TPB, though.

quote:
Originally posted by LardLad:
I'm curious...if you don't get any of these, is it possible that this result has piqued your interest in trying out any of them soon?

I'll probably check out Green Lantern, since it's been so well recommended. (The other one I'm going to pick up is Madame Xanadu, but mostly from comments made in the Vertigo titles thread. It didn't figure that strongly here.)

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by LardLad:

As someone looking to get less (and indeed get rid of 1/2 my comics) in anticipation of a big move... no.

1) Guardians of the Galaxy & Justice Society of America (Tie: 5 votes apiece)

Already get JSA (for the next month or three, anyway)

I'd probably eventually get GotG in TPB several years from now, if it holds up.

2) Green Lantern (4 and a half votes

As an old-time GL fan, I felt even more wrung through the ringer by the Owlsey/Emerald Yawn/Reign of the Supermen/Parallax/Spectre era than even the most gilted Legion fan could feel (LSH as a collective never went evil/crazy/undead/alcoholic etc).

I guess I felt so burned by prior GL runs that as good as this era might be it's hard to feign interest - I'd always be expecting the other shoe to drop. In 10 years, maybe I'll get the trades.

3) The Walking Dead (4 votes)

no interest at all.

4) Fables (3 votes)

I get this in trades already.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I certainly will always give my fellow LWers reccomendations a shot, and in fact have been doing that a whole lot more lately with great results. If not for Pov (Umbrella Academy), CJ & Scooter (Walking Dead), Blacula (Madame Xanadu), Reboot (Agents of Atlas) and so many others, I would be missing on out a bunch of stuff. And now Lardy, you will have contributed with Scalped, once I get a few moments to read it [Big Grin]

Titles I could drop quickly? Well, some titles my father and I continue to get because in some instances one of us will decide its not worth getting anymore, but the other will want to keep getting it. For me:

(1) Hulk - worst Marvel comic I buy right now

(2) Teen Titans - this is the absolute lowest point in Titans history, worse than the 90's.

(3) All-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder - I honestly only buy this because its a train wreck and I like Jim Lee's art. Its like buying something to see it crash and burn. So if it came down to it, no, I certainly don't need this comic. Frank Miller reaches the level of genius sometimes, but this is assuredly the worst comic book work he's ever done.

(4) Justice League of America - I can't understand how anyone can have enjoyed any of this relaunch. Sure, its a great line-up, and sure, the artwork is pretty spectacular, but I've yet to see even good storyline by Meltzer and even McDuffie, who I usually like.

(5) Astonishing X-Men - This has got to be the comic that both X-Fans and X-Strangers can agree is completely overrated, overhyped and outright boring.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  36  37  38   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.