Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Astro City (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Astro City
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Read the Silver Agent special #1 tonight and it was great! Even though the meat of the time travel story is coming in the next issue, I found the insight into the Silver Agent's origin, life story and character to be both awesome and moving. I've been fascinated by the character since his first appearance and this issue reminded me why I felt that way--he encompasses so much of the grandeur of the early Silver Age (thus, his name). There are parts Flash, Green Lantern, Captain America and the Silver Age Superman. The Legion of Super-Heroes analogue connection was a great touch.

I also found the culmination in his decision to be very moving, which is tough to pull off in one issue considering we still hardly knew the Agent before this issue.

This serves as an affirmation of what I felt over the last year: Astro City is back. Can't wait for the monthly.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I so need to catch up on this title...probably in trade form though. sigh...money, how I need thee...
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Really enjoyed the wrap-up to the Silver Agent 2-parter. At first I was beginning to feel like it'd be a letdown and then about mid-story (when he meets his nephew all grown up), the emotional impact hit me the way Kurt intended. And then the rest of the issue was just terrific, with a powerful ending. I think Busiek has finally found himself again.

The letter's page mentions this as kind of the end of Astro City "phase #1" and it felt that way. I know that like Busiek & Anderson, I'm ready for Astro City to enter phase #2, return as an ongoing series, and get back to telling some good (and shorter) stories again. Over the course of the last year, I've gradually been rebuilding my excitement for this comic book and I think with the end of the Silver Agent 2-parter, it is not completely restored.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm way behind on this book. I think the last Astro City thing I bought might have been the Samaritan vs Pagan Special. That was at least 3 or 4 years ago (though at this title's pace that probably means I'm only about 5 or 6 issues behind [Big Grin] ).

I need to catch up though. It really is a great title.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
It is.

I usually get a little wary when Busiek goes too cosmic, but this mini had most of what I look for in Astro City. I hope the recent Wildstorm issues don't pose too much of a delay in getting the AC monthly on the stands.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
I'm way behind on this book. I think the last Astro City thing I bought might have been the Samaritan vs Pagan Special. That was at least 3 or 4 years ago (though at this title's pace that probably means I'm only about 5 or 6 issues behind [Big Grin] ).

I need to catch up though. It really is a great title.

^To me, that Samaritan vs. Pagan special Blacula mentions is the absolute BEST Astro City story from the point that the Local Heroes mini (which was the first AC itself post-the ongoing ending) was launched to the present (thru the Silver Agent two-parter). That would make it roughly the best AC story of the past decade in my estimation. Last I'd heard, Cobie had never read that one yet. Did you ever get it, Des?

The runners-up, IMO, for the same era are the Beautie special and the Supersonic special. I like everything else Kurt has done with AC during the same period, but I'd take those three over the Astra and Silver Agent two-parters. I think both of those would've benefited from being sold as overside one-shots like those other three.

I can see how what has come to this point can be viewed as "phase 1", especially because of how the mystery of the Silver Agent has tied a lot of this era together. The two-parter finally resolved that after about two decades of build-up. But you could just as easily divide it into three: Image years, DC/Wildstorm years & Whatever's Next. Interestingly enough, Kurt and Brent did about an equal number of issues worth of AC stories in both of the first two eras.

I sure hope AC gets started back up soon, and all this Wildstorm dissolution nonsense won't hold it up too long. AC has historically had enough publication problems without that kind of crap popping up!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

^I still haven't read the Samaritan one-shot! The praise you've given it, and Blacula too, means this is something I have to rectify. I'm going to the CBS tomorrow with my Dad, so I'll have to try to remind myself to hit up the back-issue bins to grab it once and for all. I'm not even sure how some of these specials slipped through the cracks in the first place since I've collected Astro City from the beginning.
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Make sure you look for the Beautie and Supersonic one-shots as well if you don't have those. Assuming you have all of Local Heroes, you should be up to date once you possess all three one-shots.

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I've got the Beautie one-shot, and absolutely loved it (one of the best stories I've read for Astro City) but I think the Supersonic one is the other one I'm missing. Besides Supersonic and Samaritan, I'm all caught up.

I swear...I can't remember how I ever stayed on top of the collection pre-Legion World.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

That Beautie Special was amazing! The idea of a heroine who was an actual doll was pulled off really well. Like I said, IMO, that one was just behind the Samaritan special in how I'd rank the DC/WS-era AC stories. Kurt never really lost his ability to tell a great AC story, but its recent return to more regular publication has been most welcome and helped reinvigorate the enthusiasm among us AC faithful.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The Beautie special was probably the first time in a long time where I suddenly felt like it was time for Astro City to resume it's place in my mind as a premiere comic book. These one-shots I think went a long way reinvigorating Kurt so he could finish the Dark Age on a strong note.

It was also one of the most original Astro City stories of them all. Thematically there were some nice nods to comic book history but for the most part, she as a character and the story itself were pretty unique, I thought.

When I read someone say Busiek is washed up, or even over-rated, I think the Beautie special stands as evidence those people are flat out wrong.

And now I REALLY need to get that Samaritan special, since you rank it even higher!

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
And now I REALLY need to get that Samaritan special, since you rank it even higher!

Keep in mind that all criticism is subjective, so it's possible that you might rank them differently. The Beautie special is fresher in my mind because I read it probably within the past year for the first time.

The Samaritan special I read once and longer ago. But it sticks out in my mind in how well Busiek nailed the villain point of view (I think he was called 'Infidel', not 'Pagan', Blacula, IIRC.)there and with kind of a unique flair. There were also some nice story twists that stick out in my mind.

Either way, I can't imagine anyone ranking any of the stories from Local Heroes-on above those two stories. I've reread everything pre-Local Heroes at least once or twice. Whenever the next wave of AC is imminent, I'll make a point to reread all the DC/WS Astro City to get some better perspective, especially considering how spread apart that stuff has been comparatively.

The only thing I can add is that as good as the Dark Ages was at times, it was too long (even if you don't factor in the publishing delays) and doesn't compare to the two previous extended storylines featuring the Confessor and Steeljack in overall quality, consistency and impact, IMO.

By and large, however, I tend to prefer the one-shots and shorter continued stories.

--------------------

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I've got the Beautie one-shot, and absolutely loved it (one of the best stories I've read for Astro City) but I think the Supersonic one is the other one I'm missing. Besides Supersonic and Samaritan, I'm all caught up.

I just re-read the Supersonic special a few days while reorganizing books, and it still holds up. Definitely a keeper.

I'll third the praise for the Beautie special. One of the best ever ACs. The best for me remains the 1/2 special with The Hanged Man, but this one is up there.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
The best for me remains the 1/2 special with The Hanged Man, but this one is up there.

Oh yeah, as far as the entirety of Astro City is concerned, that one is definitely one of the very best to beat for sure! [Yes]

What did you think of the Samaritan Special with Infidel, Miner?

--------------------

Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Favorite AC story of all time- the Wizard 1/2 issue. The Image/Homage reprint (with a solid prose story to boot) is on my nightstand. I love Click Here For A Spoilerthe idea of a CRISIS-like event-- nicely told in what, 6 panels over a two page backdrop splash of the Eterneon/Time-Keeper battle-- having such personal repercussions... beautiful story. [choke]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.