Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Official Infinite Crisis Spoiler Thread (Page 25)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26   
Author Topic: The Official Infinite Crisis Spoiler Thread
Nick Vinson
Libertarian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Vinson   Email Nick Vinson         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
-- It's such a cop-out that Superboy was nothing more than a psychotic madman running around ripping people in half. Aside from the pretty art, there wasn't much to the "climax". When they turned Hal into Parallax as the villain for Zero Hour, they did the same thing - making him mad just negates the dramatic power and inner conflict of having a formerly great hero go bad.

yeah but in Zero Hour you at least get the great Green Lanter/ Arrow moment of "Ollie." "Hal." Sprong!

apparently here, not so much.

--------------------
-Nick-

Is Civil War over with yet?

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
So what the heck did the title "Infinite Crisis" mean, other than being an homage to COIE? Is the point just that it supposedly affected the whole DCU?
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It pissed an infinite number fans of off? It left an infinite number of questions?

Just flipped through a copy when I stopped at the store tonight. Regarding Alex. Do you think he may have survived and became the new Two-Face? Not up on the current Batman storyline so I don't know if the Two-Face there is really Dent or someone new.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
The one hope is that that this time they've already decided what will be rebooted and have a book somewhere with an outline of how that effects everyone else in the DCU.

Isn't "52" supposed to have a "History of the DCU" backup feature or something? Presumably that would be the place to find out what's still canon and what's been changed.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Drake's right. The History back-up is probably what I'm most looking forward to in 52.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I think History of the DCU runs for two or three months. Then two page origins for prominent characters go for the rest of the year.
From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Annnd so...AFO Boy was sucked into yet another DC money pit by a promise of explanation and explication of the current status of the DCverse...only now I've gotta buy it every week!

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
No disrespect intended...

People more interested in the back-ups (history or profiles) are too focused on continutity. I can appreciate wanting a shared, cohesive universe. But we're coming up on Supes 70th birthday, right? 70 yrs worth of adventures crammed into roughly a decade is going to cause problems.

I read Waid and Kitson's JLA: Year One. I liked Black Canary founding the JLA. Some people like WW in that role. Now, we both have stories to enjoy.

I'm more excited to see what the Question and Steel do in that missing year. You know Morrison will be wild, and Waid & Johns will give us those character moments we all just love.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
No disrespect intended...

None taken. For me, I'm more interested in the information than the story, in this case. I always see myself more like Oracle than any other character in DC or Marvel. I gather information on a wide variety of topics like some people collect stamps. It is just my way. So when there are series like this I just love it. Not so much for the continuity (although I will admit I am more interested in books when there is a cohesive continuity) as for the new info I'll be able to file away.

I don't know if any of you have ever heard of StrengthsFinder. It is one of those ever present Corporate "let's waste our employee's time" things. This one was actually kind of fun until they started shoving it down our throats constantly. The jist of it is that you should play to your strengths and not your weaknesses. Everyone takes a StrengthsFinder evaluation to rate their top five strengths. And those are your Signature Themes, the ones that should be played to in your work environment. So if you are not a Woo person (someone who loves the challenge of meeting new people and winning them over, my lowest, 34 out of 34) the you aren't the person to meet with the new customers. Anyway, my strongest theme, by a mile, is Input. Once I read the description you could have knocked me over with a feather. In all my years of taking these corporate 'tests' I never had one that turned out to be so accurate. One that I could look back and see affecting my whole life. Here is the description:

You are inquisitive. You collect things. You might collect information-words, facts, books, and quotations-or you might collect tangible objects such as butterflies, baseball cards, porcelain dolls, or sepia photographs. Whatever you collect, you collect it because it interests you. And yours is the kind of mind that finds so many things interesting. The world is exciting precisely because of its infinite variety and complexity. If you read a great deal, it is not necessarily to refine your theories but, rather, to add more information to your archives. If you like to travel, it is because each new location offers novel artifacts and facts. These can be acquired and then stored away. Why are they worth storing? At the time of storing it is often hard to say exactly when or why you might need them, but who knows when they might become useful? With all those possible uses in mind, you really don't feel comfortable throwing anything away. So you keep acquiring and compiling and filing stuff away. It's interesting. It keeps your mind fresh. And perhaps one day some of it will prove valuable.

Okay, maybe TMI. But there you go. That, in a large nutshell, is why I am anticipating the History of the DCU in 52.

[ May 05, 2006, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Lightning Lad ]

Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Someone something pointed out to me: http://dialbforblog.com/archives/285/

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew E:
I think a lot of you are missing the point. This Crisis wasn't primarily about fixing continuity problems or Changing Everything Around. I would say that these are the motivations for this Crisis:

4. (I might rank this one higher.) To tell a story that they thought was cool and to pay tribute to cool stories of the past.

3. To provide an opportunity for making changes in continuity, where appropriate; to loosen the grip of some of the silly continuity constraints that have applied over the past couple of decades; to thin out the herd of some of the characters they didn't want to use anymore.

2. To have a Big Event that sells a lot of comic books. Which is fair enough.

1. To revise the tone of the DC Universe - heroes more heroic, villains more villainous, more emphasis on secret identities, more differentiation between characters, all the stuff the DC creators been saying in chats and interviews and panel discussions. I believe them when they say this because a) it makes sense that they would want to do it, and b) we've already seen it happen in the pages of Legion. Will they be able to pull it off? I'm glad to have the opportunity to find out.

great post Matthew !!

i think you've summed up the whole 'event' really well !!

i think what we all have to remember is, comics are a BUSINESS and DC, MARVEL etc, produce them to make MONEY !!

not to always please everyone that been reading them for the last year, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, 40 years etc !!

their goal is to create new fans and collectors, and 'try' to keep the older fans coming back for more also !!

and of course their not always gonna please EVERYONE, but DC as a whole have certainly had a great year in 'cross-selling' titles, before the lead up to INFINITE CRISIS i was buying and average of 10 - 12 titles per month !!

as of this weeks INFINITE CRISIS 7 i have bought an extra 55 DC issues !!

Countdown To Infinite Crisis x 2 [ reprint cover ]
Prelude To Infinite Crisis x 1 [ even though i had all the issues ]

DC Special: TRODT x 4

Day Of Vengeance x 7 [ Special ]
Rann Thanagar War x 8 [ Special + reprint cover ]
The Omac Project x 7 [ Special ]
Villains United x 8 [ Special + reprint cover ]

Infinite Crisis: Secret Files x 1
Infinite Crisis x 17 [ both George Perez & Jim Lee cover + reprinted covers ]

and of course i'll be buying the upcoming 52 with a further 52 issues !!

in my opinion DC have done an amazing job with this event !! and whether or not it lived up to my expectations, i've still had an enjoyable year or so, looking forward to each issue coming out, wondering whats gonna happen next etc ....

i certainly think it was money well spent on my part !!

some people may argue that i didn't have to buy all those issues but i felt i couldn't NOT buy them, as i didn't want to miss out and anything !!

i salute DC and i'm glad to have followed this whole event, well done and congratulations to all the creators involved in this event !!

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I've finally read Infinite Crisis #7 and I wish I'd never bothered.

As a big fan of both the original Crisis and Identity Crisis I'd have to call this 'story' my single biggest disappointment in comics in all the 15 years I've been reading them.

And my expectations weren't even that high. I just wanted a story that made sense, had a nice resolution, some cool memorable scenes along the way, and some consistent decent art. AND I GOT NONE OF THOSE OF THINGS! NONE!

The only other time I've felt like this after a DC series was after Zero Hour - when I completely quite comics for 3 years. If I wasn't already interested in some of the OYL comics (plus my beloved Vertigo) Infinite Crisis would probably have put me off the hobby for life!

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick Vinson
Libertarian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Vinson   Email Nick Vinson         Edit/Delete Post     
Grrrr. DC make Nick MAD!

If this pre-solicit copy is true I think the reprint department has screwed up yet again.
Newsarama article has the whole story.

--------------------
-Nick-

Is Civil War over with yet?

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Here's a fairly funny comics blogger that had a reaction to Infinite Crisis similar to mine.

http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/285/

I especially found this part quite telling -

• Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are very mad at each other! But then they make up.
• Oa is moved from the center of the universe! But then it gets moved back.
• Power Girl and Nightwing are stars in this story! But they don’t do anything.
• The Rock of Eternity is destroyed permanently and forever! But then it gets rebuilt.
• The Flashes sacrifice their lives to defeat Superboy Prime! But he comes back, and so do the Flashes.
• Earth Two, the multiple earths and the multiverse return! For a few pages, then both vanish forever.
• The original Superman returns! So he can go all psycho and then die in a disgusting bloodbath.

So sad but so true.

And here are some more funny reviews for the rest of the issues in the series. Its interesting to read them in order and see his hopes for a good story get crushed into smaller and smaller pieces -

IC #1 - http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/134/
IC #2 - http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/159/
IC #3 - http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/192/
IC #4 - http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/210/
IC #5 - http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/240/
IC #6 - http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/265/

Its a great site actually. I've been having a real chuckle for the last few hours reading some of his archives.

His style of writing and obsession with Silver Age frivolity is very reminiscent of a couple of posters on this Board too. Is it the homeblog for anyone here?

[ May 17, 2006, 02:59 AM: Message edited by: Blacula ]

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
You know what I remembered to mention that I never did before: I found it very heroic in the VU Special when the powerless Rocket Reds broke into the complex housing their armor and retaking it to battle the villains breaking out. Normal, unnamed guys in a far off country (to me) doing whats right...a very subtle but good moment by Gail Simone. I've always liked the Rocket Reds and I like how this has led to OYL them being in Green Lantern.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 26 pages: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.