Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Like Manga? (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Like Manga?
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
I recently reorganized & refiled a pile of my comics from the last 15-20 years, and for the first time have ALL my issues of USAGI YOJIMBO in one box. What really surprises me is just HOW MUCH Stan Sakai's style has evolved since the series started. At first, his art was kind of on the "stiff" side. Yet he's gotten more "expressive" as the years have gone by. I was only vaguely aware of it as it slowly happened, but comparing early and recent issues side-by-side, the difference is shocking!
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Manga went out the window with all the other comics this summer, and I haven't gotten back to them yet. I'm hoping I'll have enough money for a digest or two this month.

The one's I'm most interested in right now are Basara, a post-apocolyptic story about a girl pretending she's her late twin brother to lead a revolution, and Seimaden, about a prince of hell who meets the reincarnation of the girl he became a demon to save. I'll have to see what volumes I was up to before I go to the comic shop tommorow.

The comic shop I go to recently moved all it's Japanese to a new anime/manga shop next door. It's a lot easier to find stuff now. [Smile]

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
My shop recently had a big sale on manga, so I picked up Tezuka's Metropolis and a series called Cyborg 009.

Liking what I'm reading so far.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ActorLad
Un-Famous

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ActorLad           Edit/Delete Post     
There are a ton of series I'm still collecting but I'll just mention a few of my current faves right now.

The first is NANA. It's the tale of two girls with the same name (although they couldn't be more different) who meet on a train on it's way to Tokyo where they're both moving. They end up meeting again and becoming roomies/good friends. It's a great manga about all kinds of relationships and trying to make it in the world. And that's not even mentioning fact that rock & roll plays a big part of the equation. This series is a bit hit in Japan, it's already spawned 2 live action movies, and an anime.

The next is Fruits Basket. You know how when you're snuggling with your honey and they turn into one of the animals of the Chinese Zodiac? No? I guess you aren't getting cozy with one of the Sohma family then. This clans curse has given them issues like you wouldn't believe but there's some hope when a ray of sunshine named Tohru comes into their lives. This is a heartwarming and sometimes heartbreaking story but it will really draw you in.

That's all for now.

--------------------
ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!

From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I forgot to check the volume numbers on the books I've been collecting, but I went to the manga shop anyway. I was looking for the Seimaden books when my eyes droped to a lower shelf and I saw - Skip Beat! I first heard about this manga during my failed attempt at learning Japanese. (Someday I'll have time to learn it properly. [Smile] ) The story's about this girl, Kyoko, who's basicaly put her life on hold to suport her rock star boyfriend. When she finds out he was just using her, something snaps inside her and she promises she'll have revenge. He tells her someone as insignificant as her would never be able to do anything to him, so she decides she's going to become a star, too! I just love the idea of this ultra nice girl changing her life and kicking ass. What I've read so far is really funny, but I've only finished the first chapter, so far. [Smile]

--------------------

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

I finished Skip Beat vol. 1. I really, really like this book. On the surface Kyoko seems like the perfect girl next door, but she's so angry inside. She really doesn't connect to anybody, except Sho, who she's kind of obsessed with. No, strike that, there's no "kind of" about it. Certainly not your typical shojo manga heroine. While a lot of the plot revolves around her revenge it's also about her inability to connect with other people. Can't wait till I can get more. [Smile]

--------------------

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Any recommendations for manga blogs?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
Today's "Speed Bump" comic strip should be of interest to this crowd. I got a chuckle out of it. http://www.comics.com/creators/speedbump/archive/speedbump-20070122.html

[ January 23, 2007, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: Suddenly Seymour ]

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wndola1
Ex-Female Fury

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wndola1   Author's Homepage   Email wndola1         Edit/Delete Post     
Afriend of mine talked me into NANA, but I need somethig more than relationship angst. it is like having all desert and no dinner. I felt too guilty.

I really want to see some spy thriller or super powers or saving the universe etc etc but with good character chemistry. you know, the protein.

--------------------
http://twitter.com/wndola
http://www.diversionarium.com
http://wndola.livejournal.com

From: New England | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

You might like Basara. It's a war story, but there's relationship angst, too. Two leaders sworn to kill each other fall in love but don't recognize each other. It's a bit contived in spots, but I like it. (Skip Beat's my priority right now, though.)

--------------------

wndola1
Ex-Female Fury

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wndola1   Author's Homepage   Email wndola1         Edit/Delete Post     
Picked up Basara 1 & 2 yesterday. So far I like it. I will write againwhen I finnish volume 2.

--------------------
http://twitter.com/wndola
http://www.diversionarium.com
http://wndola.livejournal.com

From: New England | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Just read 20th Century Boys, volume 1. It was recommended by my CBS, otherwise I probably wouldn't have picked it up. It's about a group of young men who uncover a conspiracy, with missing people and murders thrown in, which somehow connects to their childhood. There's a wide variety of characters, which adds to the interest, and the lead, Kenji, is one of these supremely likeable figures, who shoulders burdens with grace and acts like an everyday hero should act.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
May I suggest Urusei Yatsura? It's the original romantic comedy, by Rumiko Takahashi.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero Kahn
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zero Kahn   Email Zero Kahn         Edit/Delete Post     
If your looking to try out a wide variety of different types of Manga you should check out "One Manga". They have a ton of stuff that runs the gambit of styles. I know I have found quite a few I really liked reading just browsing the site.
From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.