Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The New Avengers (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The New Avengers
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, and if you are using FireFox for your browser just right click and select show image. The image will open up.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
SPOILERS for #4

random thoughts:
-- Dang, that Spider-Woman is hot.
-- Dang, that Spider-Woman has really big man-hands on the cover
-- It's odd that Tony Stark was talking about not having enough money to fund a new team, yet he's busting out another skyscraper, new quinjets etc...
-- Bendis is giving this book a much more "real world" vibe than previous incarnations. It's certainly not as dark as "The Ultimates", but it's interesting that the appearance of costumes is more fluid here. Spider-Woman finally puts hers, Luke Cage doesn't wear one, Elektro isn't wearing one and Wolverine isn't wearing one at the end of this ish. Yet Cap and Iron Man, as representative of the old guard are pretty much always in costume. Spidey is too, but his dialogue and the fact that he's frequently on panel with Cage puts him in the more "realistic" half of the team.
-- Did we really need an entire page to see Elektro walk up to his girlfriend?? This kind of stuff is bothering me more and more.
-- Bendis continues to write great Spider-Man dialogue and quips. The highlight was the banter with Spider-Woman. ALthough the "Crash landing" thing was also funny.
-- I also like how Bendis is handling Iron Man. He does a lot more than just fire repulsor rays (which he actually never does here).
-- I thought Spider-Woman's ploy with the donuts was very close to being too cutesy.
-- The identity of the mystery prisoner was a surprise since he's not exactly a big name. Definitely interested to see where this leads and if it has anything to do with what happened in "Weapon X" (which I didn't read)
-- I almost forgot Wolverine was going to be on this team. When he pops up, I thought "oh yeah, him. I'm sure Bendis will have an interesting take on him. Logan always worked better in a team setting where his personality conflicted with others. He might be too at home with the X-crew, so I expect there'll be more friction here.

[ March 26, 2005, 07:38 AM: Message edited by: DrakeB3004 ]

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know the artist at all, looks like a Kubert/Silvestri clone, but "Damn" is right, Mr. Cage! I have a soft spot for Jessica Drew dating back to the early issues of Wolverine--the Claremont/Buscema run. Man, I've got to reread those soon...I'm not sure I LOVE what's going on. I'll stick with it a while longer, but it's on my "might-drop" list right now. The last issue was the best one yet.

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not sure what I think of this series. It's not as horrible as I feared, but in truth I really don't care for any of the characters. I have never been a huge fan of Spider-Man, Wolverine and Luke Cage, and Iron Man and Captain America always felt more palatable to me when surrounded by characters I did like, such as Scarlet Witch, Wasp and Yellowjacket.

I'll probably give this a few more issues, but I don't see myself staying for the long haul.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
is the roll call of the new avengers an attempt to get all/many of the high selling solo characters in one book like j.l.a.? seems so
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stargazer
One Monkeys Opinion...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargazer           Edit/Delete Post     
I thin Disater Boy is right. Now all they need is the Hulk.

but for some odd reason I am reading this series..and I do like it. I am such a dork.

--------------------
Looking for Earth Prime.

From: Conroe Texas | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Disaster Boy I don't think roll call is like the JLA to get high selling heroes. I think Wolverine and Spider-Man are simply there to sell comics. And I am really suprised Daredevil wasn't put in.

Luke Cage and Spider-Woman I think are just Bendis faves. They are by no means big sellers.

[ July 07, 2005, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Jorg-EM ]

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

There's also Sentry, who's not exactly a big cash cow. And then the new character Ronin so I don't think this new lineup is the "Big Guns" Avengers that people were speculating awhile ago.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jorg-EM:
Luke Cage and Spider-Woman I think are just Bendis faves. They are by no means big sellers.

Bendis has an avowed 70s fetish in his character selection. Even hinting that he is going to launch a Spiderwoman ongoing title. (Like it'll last 12 issues after he's gone) As adults we choose what we grew up with right?
From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Jillikers!

People are actually reading this? You should all be ashamed of yourselves!!

I'll be seding a unit* of REAL Avengers over to chastise you properly.

*don't worry; the unit consists of Triathalon, Sersi, Starfox, Stingray and Dr. Druid.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by Jorg-EM:

Bendis has an avowed 70s fetish in his character selection. Even hinting that he is going to launch a Spiderwoman ongoing title. (Like it'll last 12 issues after he's gone) As adults we choose what we grew up with right?
Tamper Lad and I've read some House of M rumors that seem to suggest another 1970s Marvel icon may be returning ala Bendis.

MLLASH, this series does blow. Bendis writes a great Daredevil but I think his view of the rest of the MU is a bit warped. Sure New Avengers is selling like crazy but I think in the long run it will be more harmful than good. I think there were other ways of raising Avengers sales then this. It might be Mark Millar's fault since he wrote such an amazing Ultimates it may have killed the Avengers. ohwell. It makes me sad.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

I dunno - it's kinda the cycle isn't it? Shake up the team (maybe make one of them a killer - "The Crossing", anyone?), reinterpret the team in what's considered "modern" at the time and when that runs out, take it back to a more classic feel (like Busiek). I imagine the pendulum will swing back eventually.
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
After the last issue, I'm definitely dropping this title. The stories and art are fine, but I just can't get into the characters. I don't really like any of them enough to hold my interest. And in today's market, I just can't afford to collect titles that I just don't like... even the Avengers.

Thank goodness for Young Avengers [Smile]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

DrakeB3004, I am all for making the Avengers more modern. Adding Wolverine, Luke Cage, Spider-Woman, and Spider-Man doesn't seem to me more modern. [Frown]

I wouldn't mind Nova & Namorita for instance. [Smile] Atleast they are younger.

I was all for making the Avengers more "modern" but the Geoff John's way of making the JSA modern. Not this. [Frown]

DrakeB3004

I guess the "modern" part comes from Bendis, the art and the kind of stories they're telling. The lineup isn't necessarily modern, but we're definitely in "non-classic" lineup phase.

I kinda hope this "Ronin" guy (who's *not* Daredevil) turns out to be Moon Knight. He's rumored for a comeback, he's used to multiple identities and the disguise might be kinda the same reason as Sensor Girl's - Moon Knight resigned under less than cordial circumstances.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.